The New Game review by Mudvayne

• Released: Nov 18, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Mudvayne: The New Game

Okay after the last album Lost and Found I new I was in for a more generic sound coming from this album, but this just packaged that up and secure the trend of Mudvayne's slow decent into commercial life. Yes the typical guitar sound, Vocals screams and melodies are still there but I feel is slowly diminishing is the aspect of the very technical bass and drums, they haven't depleted completely but they are slowly going away, which in my opinion made the Mudvayne sound. The album kicks off with a nice build up in Fish Out Of Water but then it was followed by a very stock standard structure and sound that sadly nothing jumped out at me and grabbed my ear, it was more just there. Do What You Do has the stylish clean sound from a earlier song World So Cold but it just follows that pretty much completely, Once again a very basic structure Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge etc, I'm slowly wondering where the pure sound of Mudvayne has gone, This song features a guitar solo which they have never really done before and I wish they never did it ruins the vibe for me. A New Game begins with a riff that sounds similar to the opening track, the main that I appreciate in this song is the ending it's catchy and sounds quiet nice but it's taking three tracks to find something good, this song also features another solo and once again it's just taking away the sound of this band, they don't really need guitar solos. The album continues to flow with this generic sound that formed more in Lost and Found with the next song Have it Your Way again very simple structured song that just says to me there not trying anymore the spark that they were seems gone now, nothing special about this song in my opinion A Cinderella Story has a great bass line but even still they are buried into everything and just doesn't scream out this song just sounds the same and the track before with it's structure and octave use in the chorus The Hate In Me this song here a very good intro a feel to it this is probably the one that made me go yes a good sounding song which can be listened to for a while:D, but even though if you listen to the whole album from start to this track it would start to sound as a big blur of songs that you didn't even realized one has finished because of the same feel and the loss of diversity in sounds and written structures. Scarlett Letters This was a shock the progression at the start made me think of ever other generic bloody thing created, The chorus is quiet catchy but so is songs from Seether which this song reminds me of. Dull Boy cool idea for a intro and the bass is very dominate in the main riff, and I find myself singing the catchy verse structured lyrics which stand out for me, this song I feel is probably the best on the CD but once again it just compare to what Mudvayne fans no they are capable of. Same ol' is literally just the same ol' it's just merely the Cinderella story intro but sped up. Never Enough by now I feel this album is dragging on and I'm finding myself fight myself to listen on sadly this song just is cementing my feelings for future albums and how they sound which to be honest isn't looking very strong We the People This song to end the album could of started the god damn thing, very heavy song and make you nod your head in acceptance a very fast and very angry which sounds absolutely great, defiantly shouldn't be so far down the list as if people don't have their player on shuffle may not want to listen all the way down to this song

The same feel is always there on this album the very unique voice is still there and to me it sounds great, I love both sides the screams and melodic sides. Once again reading through the lyrics it stays mostly true to the Mudvayne sound, very well thought out and written. But great lyrics tend to be lost in very generic music which is why most of this won't be remembered by me sadly.

yes the songs are sometimes catchy but there not defining or as memorable as older songs which is why I'm saying there slowly blackening into the commercial place and becoming another drone band that is just there. After listening to this album I went straight back to L.D and you hear a huge creative difference in there and it makes you just wondering did they even try this way round, sadly I don't think so. I'm just going to give them one last chance wait for one more album to see if they "work" on it and can create something that stands out otherwise I will always have the first two albums to sit back and rock out to.

NeverLetItGo
    This album is much better than Lost and Found. As the title suggests, it IS a new game. They tried, and did, a lot of new things this time around. Those of you complaining that it's not L.D.50 need to can it. They will never make an album that great again. That album was, and still is, epic. No pun intended. Even the band know that they will never create another L.D.50 and most Mudvayne fans will agree that they don't want them to try. I for one have more respect for Mudvayne for not trying to force something that will never happen. I love every song on this album in contrast to the maybe 5 that I loved on Lost and Found. Don't get me wrong, that was a good album too, but not every song did it for me like this one. Each musician stands out in his own way on this album and The New Game is unique in its own way. I'm glad Ryan went back to slap on this album. I really missed it on the last. Just my two cents.
    Deliriumbassist
    Ryan Martinie doesn't have a sig bass probably for economic reasons- more people will buy a Paolo sig than a Ryan Martinie sig. Anyways, Ryan plays Thumbs, which are practically flawless anyway. Warwick doesn't need to adorn it with names and the such to get sales.
    choke383
    Deliriumbassist
    Dillinger are mathcore, as are Behold... Mudvayne dabbled a LOT with odd time signatures in the LD50 days, which is what gave them the term math metal. In fact, math metal was a phrase coined by the band's drummer.
    Martindecorum
    boyan89 wrote: is it worth the money?
    to be honest no, ive listened to it only a couple of times since i got it basically if u have lost and found, think of it as lost and found expansion pack lol
    Bunyip
    isn't Mudvayne the band that the Term Math metal was created for?
    reaper846
    Bunyip : isn't Mudvayne the band that the Term Math metal was created for?
    you are correct
    IfDaysEnd
    choke383 wrote: math metal is more like dillinger escape, behold the arctopus, meshuggah, bands with some odd time signatures. Not necessarily some "highly technical guitar work" altho, the bands ive mention do have a "highly technical guitar work" that surpass in my opinion Mudvayne
    Totally support this comment. I personally find an insult the fact that Mudvayne's drummer auto-genred the band as "math metal". I've never been the type of person that blabbers bands to "teach" people about genres, but I may have to try it now. Meshuggah indeed plays mathematical music, in which I find the drums as the most difficult instrument to play (since Tomas Haake plays complex patterns using the four-way independence). Another mathematical band would be Tool, or if you're more into the metalcore stuff you try Misery Signals or Botch. Dillinger, my god that's a rare case, since they do play complex patterns as well as mixing them with technique in every instrument, but yes they may also be considered as mathematical. I just can't fit Mudvayne in that genre, changing from a 4/4 to a 5/4 isn't very tecnical to me.
    trivium_suck
    strat0blaster
    Listen to (K)now (F)orever off LD 50. Pay attention specifically to how the bass interacts with the guitar and drums when they synch up. Not saying it's terribly complex, but it is in odd signature with shifts. Complexity doesn't make great music - great music makes great music.
    123-Trav
    Haven't listened to dillinger or arctopus but i'll just point out that Meshuggah don't actually use weird time signatures very often. The complex rhytmic effects they achieve are from polyrhythms, but their time signature is generally just 4/4.
    bcrichguitars12
    It isnt a terrible complicated type of music but they do a great job making all the instruments interact. This album is a little softer but still great. Bought it on itunes about an hour after it was released the bonus content on itunes is pretty cool. Sort of a best of for the people by the people. Worth checking out
    grw
    Martindecorum
    Nothing to Gein, and Internal Primate Forever Mudvayne Dark Eternal Night Dream Theater
    grw wrote: I personally think Dig was the only decent song by them. but i havent heard this album yet. everytime i hear extreme slap bass i think of mudvayne, lol. does anybody have suggestions of other good, heavy songs? (they dont have to be by mudvayne) p.s. i have almost all slipknot and lamb of god so try to avoid them
    Deliriumbassist
    IfDaysEnd wrote: I just can't fit Mudvayne in that genre, changing from a 4/4 to a 5/4 isn't very tecnical to me.
    Then you obviously haven't listened to a lot of Mudavyne.
    IfDaysEnd
    If "hearing a lot of Mudvayne" means hearing every song on every cd, no I haven't. But from what I've heard, i won't claim that they're "math metal", specifically when they come from the "nu-metal" branch.
    tom183
    Listen to more from L.D 50 Anyways, my $0.02 I just cant get into this album and it saddens me. On the back of L.D 50 alone, Mudvayne became my favourite band but their albums have gotten steadily worse since then. On L.D 50 every song was awesome. Same for Kill I Oughtta (Beginning of all things to end). On TEOATTC all the tracks were great except for a few. Lost and Found had roughly half good songs and half rubbish and with the New Game they've finally released an album with more poor tracks than good ones. Scarlett Letters is the only shining point imo.
    SlinkyMcdougall
    trivium_suck wrote: uh, the new game, by far their best album since the end of all things to come, lost and found had like, what five songs taht kicked ass, the rest just didnt do anything really, but the new game is lil more on the metal side, and thats really a good thing, i mean, matts drums are still badass ryans bass is still kickin a lot of ass, and tribbetts riffs are way better than the usual, and chads voice is still pimpin, i think its bullshit that you guys are still complainin about it not being like ld. 50. on the not falling dvd one of the members(im not really sure which one) said for the first album all they did was write song after song, just to put their name out, and that now the songs what have more structure. i think alot of you guys just give ld 50 the most praise is because you want to impress your internet peers or just be the one listening to the heaviest music, and that is bullshit. anyways, i kinda started ranting, but u know, whatever, badasss album, we the people sucks though, and uh, anyone else ever drop a deuce so big that it leaves blood on the toilet paper? yea me niether. if youve read this far, cool, cool, but dang, im just typing now, and uh, yeah, so is it natural for you penis to stink for like three weeks, and get a weird ass blood stench? i dunno why i axed, i guess im still wasting time, hope some of yalls are pissed, hope some of you guys will give the new game more of a chance, rather than, "bullshit, it doesnt have as much screaming" or "what? introversechorusversechoursbridgeoutro? what the ****, SELLOUTS". uh, damn, im still ranting, man, i should have stopped typing a long ass time ago, but yeah, i better stop, uh, one more thing, why does the bassist from trivium have a signature, and ryan martinie doesnt?
    >.>
    Mezzo4te
    yeah it sucks balls. they should have went down the realness of 'happy' while being slightly progressive
    dan1985smith
    It's a decent album. They'll never top End of All Things to Come. Just like Staind will never top Break the Cycle, KoRn will never top Follow the Leader, etc. Just won't happen.
    maggot4life
    this album is completely different....i like it. it would get boring if Mudvayne did the same stuff as LD50.
    boomtank
    LD50 is legendary, no band can ever create something like that again. Chad's vox have changed, Ryan doesn't show his skills anymore, Greg's sound changed, the progressiveness is gone and so is Mudvayne. I'm still getting the CD though, I'm doubtful about it but still checking it out.
    btbam420
    everything before this album was very good and Mudvayne had just wasted their studio time on this album and could have produced something much better than this bad album
    Slovak_Ghost
    you know... I hate to compare them to Slipknot... but the story is the same.... bands will evolve over time... and I dont nessisarily think it is a bad thing... personally I like the new Mudvayne..... as I also enjoy the old Mudvayne...as is with Slipknot..... As long as its Mudvayne... and I dont have to hear this "HELL YEAH" bullshit constantly I'm a happy camper
    Haunted_Shell
    xXChimairaXx wrote: I've never thought Mudvayne of being technical. Meshuggah is what I think of.
    Hahaha yeah, but I find learning a Meshuggah song on bass much easier then learning a Mudvayne song. I haven't checked out the album yet, but I'm sure it's atleast worthy enough to be bought seeing how I've been a mudvayne fan since Kill I O'tta or whatever
    jerock21
    I love how the review starts of with the words "Math Metal". I listen to it and i hear nothing mathy... just your basic radio friendly mudvayne. When i hear 'math metal' i think of bands like Dream Theater, Between the Buried and me or even Protest the Hero... definitly not Mudvayne. Regardless... this will never be as good as LD50. That CD was just tooo damn good.
    strat0blaster
    deliriumbassist wrote: I'm surprised that the UG Team review has absolutely no mention of Ryan Martinie. I haven't listened to the new album, but bass was always, ALWAYS Mudvayne's strongest point IMO, and I doubt it's any different with this effort.
    Agreed. 100%. I was shocked about that too. I don't understand why everyone is hating this album, saying things like "It's not L.D. 50." No kidding it's not L.D. 50 - they already made that album years ago - and if they made it again, you'd complain that it was just a re-hash. Bands put out new material so you don't have to hear the same thing over and over. If you want to listen to L.D. 50, people, go put it on.
    Deliriumbassist
    jerock21 wrote: I love how the review starts of with the words "Math Metal". I listen to it and i hear nothing mathy... just your basic radio friendly mudvayne.
    Mudvayne were one of the frontrunners in math metal- it's very different from prog metal, which are two of the three bands you listed. I will agree that they've slacked off from math metal since LD50, but often there has still been elements- Not Falling being one example IMO.
    thebyccenter
    I don't really like the new album, just couple songs, that would be "Scarlet Letters", "A Cinderella Story", "Never Enough" and "We the People". The first two albums are legendary, especially L.D.50. I really like it when Bands are trying something else, but most off them are going commercial, instead of experimental. Coming back to the new record, most songs were written, before their side-project Hellyeah, after Lost and Found, they easily could brought the album out last summer 2007, but they hold it back for this year, cause of hellyeah etc. And if you guys are doing some research, they already have new material for a new album, that is set to be released in july next year. It is some old material from the second album and some new material they did, last couple month etc. and they probably still writng one some new tracks. Matt says in a interview, just search for some interviews on youtube, that the new material is some hard fast ****ing music, they ever did, and compaired it with the second album. To me, "The New Game" album is just a filler. I'm looking forward for the new album next year. peace!
    Wudarbassist83
    Really disappointed they've changed so much. LD50 is one of my top fav albums and Ryan Martinie's bass playing was such a huge inspiration in that album. I hope they start to get back to that sound.
    axez_steve_jam
    The new album its cool, you just gotta give it a try, i love the old Mudvayne, but i think since Lost And Found they've made progress, and this is another step they take from there.
    Pingis_Or_Death
    given the highly technical guitar work and drumming that has populated the bands albums
    Highly technical? yeah right...