The Art Of Partying review by Municipal Waste

• Released: Jul 31, 2007
Municipal Waste: The Art Of Partying

Keeping with the late '80s styled production values of their influences, Municipal Waste elect to go for a very mid-level guitar tone on their newest album. The sound instantly reminds you of D.R.I. and the albums they made for Metal Blade. Since guitarist Ryan Waste rarely takes a proper solo, the straight forward tones work extremely well within the context of the songs. Drummer extraordinaire Dave Witte (Burnt By The Sun, Black Army Jacket, Discordance Axis) is mostly known for his inhumanly paced blast beats but here he tastefully shows off his slower paced crossover chops. Don't get me wrong, these songs never let up on speed and energy but producer Zeuss (Shadows Fall, Madball) perfectly captures the essence of the genre's golden years. The one criticism would be the vocals are too up-front in the overall mix. That said, with Tony Foresta's shout/bark styled vocals moving along at a locomotive pace, it's easy to overlook the issue.

Foresta's lyrics bring to mind the sardonic work of S.O.D.'s Billy Milano. The words on songs like Beer Pressure and Headbanger Face Rip pack bite but aren't heavy handed in the least. With the current state of the world, Foresta's comedic flavored commentary is a welcome change of pace. Keeping with their love of the 1980's, the driving Lunch Hall Food Brawl reminds one of classic Troma Films like The Toxic Avenger and Class of Nuke Em' High. It's no surprise that Troma mastermind, Lloyd Kaufman directed the video to their aforementioned single Headbanger Face Rip.

All the way from the Ed Repka (Megadeth, Evil Dead) influenced artwork, who coincidently created their last album's cover, to the Jackson/Charvel guitar sounds, Municipal Waste have shown honored the style of metal that has brought them together. Their allegiance to bands like Vio-Lence, Exodus and Cryptic Slaughter is obvious and unwavering. Even the lost art of the gang vocal is found on the Art of Partying. There was a time when you couldn't find a worthwhile thrash record that didn't have gang vocals but in these days of metalcore they are a rarity. It's not hard to imagine a crowd of young thrashers shouting along to the chorus in Sadistic Magician. This is the kind of spirit the Virginia based unit are helping bring back to the forefront. Sure, these songs would never be confused for pop but there is something inherently infectious about them that instantly connected with me. It's not that Municipal Waste are the first band to marry the world of crunch and melody. The point is that Foresta and crew have mastered it within this realm. In terms of change, it would be interesting to see the band work with some slower paced rhythms. I'm not suggesting anything as left field as a ballad or even a doom track but something with a slower tempo might be a winning experiment for them. Whether the band branch out on their future releases remains to be seen but if they keep on churning winners like the Art of Partying we'll all be the better for it.

undead333
    you do soundlike an old man, MW are for pure thrashers, people who go to a show to bang their heads like maniacs and get drunk off their ass and crowdsurf. not stand there and expect some paganini shite. seen em twice already two of the best shows ive ever gone to, looking forward to seein em next month at HELLFEST!! AMEN!!! Municpal Waste is on the best thrash bands out. If you never heard them, this is the albulm to get into them. "Municipal Waste is gonna f*ck you up!!!"
    xchaseedgex
    I am straight-edge and I looooove this band. I love their lyrics, the riffs, the drums, everything about this band is awesome to me.
    ratmblink123
    Yeah, I saw them open for Suicidal Tendencies. Pure crap.
    Municipal Waste
    ratmblink123 wrote: jonnyharris1 wrote: i hate to sound like an old man, but i find municipal waste is just a horrible noise, i saw them play a support slot and i just dont get it. Yeah, I saw them open for Suicidal Tendencies. Pure crap.
    i choose to believe, based on your comment, that you are a bad person.
    Metalx666xFreak
    This is pure thrash/crossover, who cares about musical level :p This is suc ha band that plays music to get wasted on, just THRASH ><
    Billy Picken
    Waste'em All and Hazardou Mutation are kick ass Thrash albums as well. With a better singer, Municipal Waste would rule Thrash. \m/
    thrash-tastic
    chimairagore
    I love thier sense of humour, and thier riffs are just ****ing sweet. Great beer drinking, circle pitting, party music. "open your nose, suck on a chainsaw 'till your head exlpodes" ...awsome
    AnimatedHand
    adamdrulz wrote: i think they would be better with a differnt vocalist, their shows are insane and fun, but the vocalist seriously ruins the cd's.
    I agree, vocalists a spoon. the rest rules
    adamdrulz
    BlisteringDDj
    MA 4 ever wrote: Thrashing is my business and business is good! I mean can u get a better song title than that?
    Haha, that's so Megadeth I'm lookung forward to listen this!
    MA 4 ever
    slogankid1
    Waste were my first gig and i had only heard born to party before hand. I found that one of the support bands were a lot better than them though when recently i rediscovered them i think they are amazing and cant wait to go and see them live in feb. Maybe they rnt as good live. Try the album, u may be supprised
    CryoCarnage
    Funny thing is i am slightly interested in both genres, but i saw them live and it was simply terrible. Thats just my opinion though!
    Craigo
    I never enjoyed thrash until I found thrash crossover. Incredible album, full of speed, aggression and fun overall. Slightly interested in punk or thrash? Go check.
    jonnyharris1