Women And Children Last review by Murderdolls

• Released: Aug 31, 2010
Murderdolls: Women And Children Last

Slipknot drummer Joey Jordison is beyond respected as one of the best drummers in music, let alone hard rock and metal. But he is a multi-talented multi-instrumentalist, as his work in his newly exhumed Murderdolls project demonstrates. Murderdolls' Beyond The Valley Of The Murderdolls reared its grimy and glammy, horror rock head in 2002; that's a long fucking time ago, by pop culture standards. That album was big on B-movie kitsch and spawned a Billy Idol cover of White Wedding. The Dolls went dormant for nearly a decade, but Jordison and vocalist Wednesday 13, who has a penchant for penning your not-so-typical boy-kills-girl love stories, have rebooted the band. The music is more three-chord, power punk rock with a touch of pop sensibilities, in term of the melodies, but the guitar work is razor sharp, as is the songwriting. Women And Children Last is teeming with fist-pump anthems with less horror kitsch and more singability. Nowhere is perfect for the ghoulish goth who likes Motley Crue, as is Summertime Suicide. Seriously, I dare you to play these at maximum decibels and walk away without these choruses embedded in your dead head. Additionally, My Dark Place Alone has more hooks than a tacklebox. Jordison and Wednesday 13 hunkered down and put songwriting first, with Halloween-friendly image running a very close second. Speaking of the Crue, the Crue's legendary axeman Mick Mars plays on Blood Stained Valentine and Drug Me To Hell, further upping the rip and tear quotient of the albums riffs.

While Wednesday has toned down some of the horror references, I am proud to report that F-ck You and in general, F-ck is probably the most used word in his lyrical repertoire. He's irreverent and he likes to say f-ck! Chapel Of Blood isn't as horrific as it might seem, but damn if Wednesday's gravelly vocals don't stab you in the ear like Jason Vorhees machete! Blood Stained Valentine is another of his offbeat love songs where he signs, You're like a bottle of poison / That I can't resist. In Murderdolls' world, that's a complement. Murderdolls traffic in blood-soaked romance, where the dark side is celebrated and glamourized. It's why the album is charged with a current of blackened fun.

With Joey Jordison and Wednesday 13, you always need to look at life (or in their case, death) through blood-colored glasses. The band has certainly affixed itself with an image of blood and guts, but the music is sleazy rock n' roll, swift melodies and punk rock stamina.

Bezza27
    Alcookie1992 wrote: It lacks the humour of the first album, still not bad though.
    The first album was wrote when wednesday was like 19. when he was in frankestein drag queens. so its gunna be humourous cos it was before he became serious
    Viridian44
    HoneyofRuin wrote: I love the Murderdolls and I love this album. However, I hate that review and the reviewer needs to be kicked to the curb. Awful.
    HoneyofRuin
    Mike Mars 1225
    I think this album is a breath of fresh air to be honest with you. I've always been a fan of 80's hair metal, because it was fun to listen to. While most modern rock now is so boring, and depressing (in my opinion). So a fun, over the top album like this is just what we needed.
    In-Ghost
    i think this album's great. Not like any jewel from Alexi Laiho's discography but it was never it's intention. Some of the lyrics are really awesome (,,You got blood, we'll take it" or ,,the boulevard of drugs 's the path i walk tonight, so drug me baby drug me baby yeah). The riffs are realy simple, yet not boring at all. To sum up, i'd say that is not the "wow i gotta learn how to play/songwrite like this", but for relaxing and amusement it's great
    EpiExplorer
    krvolok wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Lulz, Pop culture.. I suppose thats true, though. Out of all the people I know, the only people who like this band are the girls.. Dont wanna look like a misogynist or something like that but the author of the review is female.
    Well, whatever anyone thinks, it goes without saying.
    Downside84
    i dont know i havent actually listened to it all the way through yet but from what i heard ya its not the same murderdolls we have all come to love and respect..but seriously why would you want another album of the same shit?..i mean i like that style but they kept to there roots even though it doesnt sound the same and thats more then i can say for some bands
    PcaKes
    This is a WAY better album than people seem to be giving it credit for.
    Savage Animal
    How can you give lyrics a 9 when you even state that "****" is the most used word? lolworthy review I gave it a 1 lol
    krvolok
    symphyses
    I personally liked it. I thought most of the songs on the first album were a bit dry and boring. This is better.
    Escape2.0
    Haha I enjoyed this album cause it kinda gets stuck in your head but plenty of people I know despise it I prefer the valley of the murderdolls personally
    EpiExplorer
    Tomo-J
    I kinda like this album, I don't know what all this hatin' is about. It wasn't that bad. I think it's decent for the most of the time. Anyway, if you consider this bad, than you probably haven't heard Linkin Park's "A Thousand Suns" yet, and you have no idea what "bad" is.