Women And Children Last review by Murderdolls

• Released: Aug 31, 2010
Murderdolls: Women And Children Last

The album has a very odd sound. The tracks use lots of bass, gain and distortion however a lot aren't typical metal riffs and chords. I know the band are Horror Punk/Metal but themore up beat songs sound like the bi-product of the early Green Day stuff sprinkled with Slipknot. It's not bad its just, different. However the rest of the album has a typical nu-metal sound that is heard and loved but Murderdolls aren't afraid to stray from the norm and for that reason I give the sound a 9.

The lyrics on the album are very "tounge-in-cheek" especially on the songs Rock n Roll is All I Got and A Moment of Violence(which is only available on the special edition). This is very interesting and adds a new dynamic to the whole album. However many of the lyrics on the other songs are very sad and I know you can't expect something as happy as Yellow Submarine from a band called Murderdolls, this makes the songs that are funny feel like a breath of fresh air. This gives the album a very emo-kid feel about it. This isn't bad, but in todays society it apparently is. For example the song Summertime Suicide is about suicide so it isn't to buy if you want something to cheer you up. Wednesday 13's vocals are good but they could do with some help. He sings in his own unique style which is good for the more upbeat and funny songs but his half screamo half clean singing feels out of place on some of the songs that are meant for clean singing. However for some reason it works. I'm giving the sound an 8.

I was first interested in Murderdolls because of my love for Slipknot and Dope(the band that is, not the illegal drug). I then heard "My Dark Place Alone" on the UK music channel Scuzz. However I didn't intend to buy the album as I would have bought it from iTunes becuase my shelf of CDs is getting full. However I got the collectors edition with the DVD and bonus tracks. For the other 3 or however many US$. It has filled up the space that would have been used by the new Stone Sour album.(Audio secrecy I think). All in all I would definately buy this album. It is interesting enough to keep you listening but never strays too far away from the Horror Punk/Metal formula.