Absolution review by Muse

• Released: Sep 22, 2003
Muse: Absolution

This album sounds like the apocalypse sirens have been rung for boring music and a new era of British rock 'n' roll, with shred guitar, shred piano, shred bass and even shred drums, this is musically as grand and as crushing as the biggest symphony orchestra, the only song that doesn't sound like pure musical genius is Endlessely, is it a key board or a strange guitar? But I absolutely love the rest of the album, full of the grandest rock and roll ever, they combine Jimi Hendrix, Rage Against The Machine, Bethoven, Iron Maiden and Red Hot Chili Peppers to create a totally unique and informative rock album.

This album is an apocolytic concept album, and the lyrics are suitably deppresing and menacing, but they are delivered by the best vocalist in rock today, Matthew Bellamy delivers ever ounce of the emotion in these lyrics, and probably more with a voice which flits between rock growls and operartic highs and lows, these three guys write the best lyrics, and are the best thing to come out of this country since the new wave of British heavy metal, they just convey so muchh meaning in such a tunefull manner that they have to be heard now.

01. Intro - this is absolutely crushong, the sound is amazing, frightening and beautiful all at once. 02. Apocolypse Please - follows on from the epic marching intro and is probably the heaviest peice of music ever played on a piano, it is brutal, devastating and awe inducing, it is what the song says "It's time we saw a miracle, it's time for something biblical" and this is it. 03. Time Is Running Out - this is the worst song on the album, and very possibly the worst song muse have ever written, it is ever so slightly dark and dangerous, but it is too poppy and bland for them, it doesn't do the lyrics enough justice, still a good song though. 04. Sing For Absolution - this song is excellent, the piano playing is simple but great, and the guitar solo is easy to play but riddled with emotion, and the chorus, although sad is so uplifting I thought that I was going to fly off. 05. Stockholm Syndrome - oh my God, this is the craziest bit off riffage that has ever crossed my unworthy ears, it ywist turns and girates in your mind, with typically killer words and a chorus to die for, but not much of a solo, still it rules. 06. Fallig Away With You - this is an extremely emotional song, but it avoids being overpretentious emo by bringing the pace down a fair amount and labouring every single note with all the emotion of every word and every drum beat feels like another hammer blow to your soul. 07. Interlude - although it's not a song I have to mention it, I love all the fuzzy effects, it's errie, cold calculating and mesmerising. 08. Hysteria - this is another slightly populist song but it is desperately brilliant live, you must here it live because Matthew and Chris play every single note perfectly, add some more, labour the song with a lot of emotion and jump about the stage like the rock gods that they are. 09. Blackout - this is the strangest rock song I have heard, full orchestra sound, fuzzed up Spanish guitar and creepy backing vocals, one of my favourites on the album but the only one that scares me. 10. Butterflies + Hurricanes - Bohemian Rhapsody meets the end of the world in a bizzare, melodic and hard rocking song, even better in the single version. 11. The Small Print - a return to basic rock and roll, and despite their usual operatic grandure, they know how to do good, meaningfull but simple rock and heavy metal, all those detractors who still maintain that they sound like radiohead after all these great years must be silenced now. 12. Endlessly - this song squirms and writhes around in my head like a tapeworm, unpopular at first, but catchy, unconventional and loaded with lyrical subverse. I now love it. 13. Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist - this is another song about death, another great slice of basic rock and quickenss the pace before the end of the album. 14. Ruled By Secrecy - this is my personal favourite on the album, it is dark, it is mysterious, and like a poison, it is quietly brutal and deadly. It works on so many levels that it is simply more than a rock song. If it were stolen or lost I would break my bonds of pacificsm and drive a lump of rusty iron through the heart of the thief and make sure he died. Then I would get it back and get back to great music.

METSOAD
    Communist? Czech offical artists, unregistered muse hater, you are officially the craziest person i have ever had the experience of learning from
    newborn_muse
    i have 5 hours of muse music and they are the most influential , futuristic sounding band in the world by far. can't wait for the new album , july 3rd got it preordered
    newborn_muse
    but anyway back to subject absoulution is absoulutley amazing see what i done there absoulution , absoulutley? never mind anyway i liked origin better but absoulution amazing.TSP rocks plus u can hear a cat miaowing if u listen carefully at the last chorus
    Cliff_Hetfield
    Rover Hendrix : emmm why did chris dive into the pool???
    I don't know for fun maybe. Anyways yeah they recorded him diving into a pool and they just put on a random song, and the song ended up being Thoughts of a Dying Atheist. It sounded like a belly flop to me.
    METSOAD : Chris Swimming? a Cat meowing, its offical, muse are mental :S
    How does swimming make someone mental? I think the word you should've used was weird, for hiding that stuff in songs.