Absolution review by Muse

• Released: Sep 22, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Muse: Absolution

What is wrong with Muse fans? When the Showbiz was a great start from one of the most original alternative rock bands in the 21st century, and Origin Of Symmetry was a succesfull followup for the classic, Absolution is one of the most over rated albums I have come a cross of. When Muse is at its best Bellamy can give out some of the most inspiring guitar melodies I have heard. When he is at his worst the songs seem to drag a lot. Not even the great bass lines of Chris Wolstenholme can't save most of the songs on the album. Suprisingly the basslines are more innovative then anything that Bellamy can bring to the table on this record. And one member that even I haven't payed enough atention to. Dominic Howard. A great drummer with a sence of drama in the drumming.

Intensity of Bellamys vocals are undeniable. Mostly on Sing For Absolution and Hysteria but still good work from Matthew. One thing I don't like in Muse is that most of the songs have the same type of feeling in the vocals so Bellamy hasn't got so much variability in his singing melodies.

The album starts beatifully with songs like the ok - Apocalypse Please, and Time Is Running Out, and after that - Sing For Absolution witch is the first highlight of the record. The real highlight of the album comes right in the midle of it. And many Muse fans would agree. it's Hysteria. But there is too much that you just couldnt care less about. I have heard the album dozens of times and half of the songs don't ring a bell in my head. This record dosnt come even close to Showbiz and pales in comparison even to Origin Of Smmetry. As a fan I can take something out of the record that some other people wouldn't but still it's way too average record in Muses recording history.