Absolution Review

9.1
 9.5
 2,439
Absolution Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 29, 2003

Sound: The end of Origin of Symmetry left us begging for more - and boy they left us begging for a while - but here it is. And although it had been described as "uplifting" by Matt Bellamy (Lead Vocals, Piano, Guitar) prior to its realise we needn't have worried; this is about as uplifting as a lead weight. The sounds on this album, right from the 22 second marching introduction, are simply phenomenal and were better than anyone could have imagined. The awesomely colourful piano ranging from the stonking tunes themselves to the extravagantly shaped end to Apocalypse Please and the refreshing but immensely talented arppegioed piano solo spliting the beggining and end of Butterflies and Hurricanes. However, with his huge array of effect filled Hugh Manson guitars the guitar (being the predomenant feature of his skills) was expected to be equally as good if not better than his piano playing... His playing completely removes the need for the "hoewever" at the beginning of the previous sentence - it was fantastic. The riffs create the perfect basis from which the band can expand upon and then develop into songs and the solos really add to the riffs (from adding to the franticity of songs, "Hysteria"; to pulling the mood through, "Sing for Absolution") rather than create a seperate section to the song. Chris Wolstenholme's bass is just as predomenant in this album as it always was - a key feature in Muse's song writing ability. The subtle changes over riffs to give them a different "colour" (this is noticable prior to the "solo" in Stockholm Syndrome where the bass buffs up the main riff) and the awesome bass lines - "Hysteria" being the obvious choice here! And last but nost least Dom Howard on the drums shows once again that he knows where to add power and speed - the crunching rhythm in "Apocalypse Please" introduced by the marching really gives the feeling of an apocalyptic moment in time and the Double time dumming in the final corus of "The Small Print" really gives the song yet another great feature apart from the Tonal sounds of the guitars. Yet he also proves that he can add some real rhythmical depth to songs like "Rule By Secrecy" and "Blackout". The end-of-the-world stomps like "Time is Running Out" and "Apocalypse Please" contrast with songs like "Endlessly" but because of the overall quality of music there is no musical gap between them. The "Interlude" typifies Muse they make music an they are sickeningy original - and grotesquely good at it. // 10

Lyrics: Now its all very well having this immense backing to a songs vocal lines but if the vocalist is turd you are shafted. Do Muse have this problem? Ha! No way - but... the singing may be good but if the lyrics are awful you may prefer to have a bad singer and not be able to hear - do Muse have th... whats the point - of course they haven't. With one of the most vocally able rock singers of the year (Chris Cornell may be up there too) and a very profficient lyricist to boot - you can hardly go wrong. Not only does Matt write almost flawless lyrics - he fits them to the perfect song. I have mentioned this song a few times (but with - I think - good reason) but Apocalypse please fits the lyrics perfectly. Whilst guitar may have suited the song the crashing sound of the piano gives a lot more than a guitar could ever give to the lyrics - and if you want hysterical music the franticity of the bass line/guitar should quite abtly give that to you without the vocals - but yet again, these give the song a new line and even more dimension. One minor point, Matt manages to get over truly moving lyrics without managing to swear overzealously (if at all) - and although I dont judge against swearing myself (except to a certain extent) this gives this awesome music a wider audience and shows that contoversy isn't always the biggest seller - quality can by far outperform it. // 10

Overall Impression: The best album of the year? - I believe so - the best Muse album? - debatable, but again i believe that is the most complete (nigh on 100%) and is simply a must own for anyone who calls themself a "music" fan. Muse show how melodic should be done in both the hard rocking, knock-yer-face-off-in-a-moshpit-of-oblivion style (without detuning there guitar below a "D", and even capoing the 10th fret in "Thoughts of A Dying Atheist") to slow, brilliant, refreshing alternative rock. Uplifting it is not - awesome it most definatetly is. [Beddo] // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 11, 2003

Sound: Muse, one of the greatest bands in the world to date, have been absent for a very long year to write and record this album, and my God it was worth the wait! With something for everyone in this album, heavy riffs, melodonic riffs, piano, and most importantly of all, Matthew Bellamy's superb singing voice. The riffs for bass and Guitar sound so alive and dark, with a touch of Muse magic wcihch we are all used to, with there "Futuristic Goth Rock" style. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, and I have the tabulature book, are so perfectly written, that they really do compliment the singers excellent voice! If you read them, then, and only then, will you realise just how dark and great there music really is, examples of this include the explosive Hysteria and the ever heavy hitting Stockholm Syndrome. The words have been written with great care to produce an excellent contrast with the music! There lyrics are one of there best trademarks! // 10

Overall Impression: This album, is the dark horse compared to the other albums, but offers such a variety of different stlyes that the other albumes didnt have! The most impressive songs, in my view, are all of them!!! I loved everyone of them!!! If I had to pick a favourite though, it would be a battle between Stockholm Syndrome, Butterflies and Hurricanes and Hysteria. 3 such awesome songs that really dive into your soul and say "hey....we are something special!" Anyone who dosent have this album are FOOLS!!! // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: SpaceDementia, on january 29, 2005

Sound: The stamping of feet signals the apocalypse, at the start of the end. Welcome to the armageddeon that is Absolution. From the introduction, comes 'Apocalypse Please', one of the best album openers of all time. Try throwing a bunch of death minor chords against a wall of hysterical vocals and grand pianos, and you get the end of the world death march that is apocalypse please. Which moves quite smoothly into the surprisingly funky 'Time Is Running Out,' which picks up pace with some fancy guitar tricks and finger clicking into 'Sing For Absolution', the eye of the storm. Sing For Absolution is the crystallisation of all that is muse; falsetto vocals, dreamtime piano, and overdriven guitar. But there is more. 'Stockholm Syndrome' has a death guitar riff, followed by weird synthesiser piano, and more crunch-headbanging. Excellent stuff. This is followed by the fragile 'Falling Away With You', with combines acoustic guitar with electric, with Matt Bellamy's angelic vocals to create a masterpiece. Then, it moves into the 30-or so second 'Interlude', which powers up for the mind blowing 'Hysteria', the grungiest scuzz metal track on the album. The solo is electric-charged. Then it all slows down, and angels descend for the strings and pristine vocals of 'Blackout', followed by the albums most spacey track, 'Butterflies and Hurricanes.' Starting with electro-bass, B&H moves into a piano solo the likes of which has never been seen in rock. It has to be heard to be believed. Next, we move into the albums weakest track, 'The Small Print', which is decidely poppy, but still excellent. 'Endlessly' is tons of synthesisers and a dreamy lyric, which melds perfectly. Then onto the dark 'Thoughts Of A Dying Athiest', which is similar to 'Showbiz' off 'Showbiz'. Finally, the token creepy finishing track, 'Ruled By Secrecy', both majestic and sinister. The piano in this song, and excellent vocals, lead to a suiting finish to what has to be one of the best albums of all time. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Bellamy is one of the best singers around today. Fullstop. Best lyrics: 01. Apocalypse Please - 'It's Tiiiiimmmeee, we saw a miracle, come on its ttiiimmmeee, for something biblical.' 02. Time Is Running Out - 'Yeah our time is running out, and our time is running out, you can't push it underground, you can't stop it screaming out, how did it come to this?' 03. Sing For Absolution - 'Sing for Absolution, yeah I will be singing, and falling from your grace.' 04. Stockholm Syndrome - 'And we'll love, and we'll hate, and we'll die, all to no avail, all to no avail.' 05. Falling Away With You - 'All of the love we left behind, watching the flashbacks intertwine, memories I will never find, so I'll love whatever you've become, forget the reckless things we've done.' 06. Hysteria - 'And I want you now, I want you now, feeling my faith erode, and I'm breaking out, escaping now, last chance to lose control.' 07. Blackout - 'Don't, grow up too fast, and don't, embrace the past. This, life's too good to last, and I'm too young to care.' 08. Butterflies And Hurricanes - 'Best, you've got to be the best, you've got to change the world, and use, this chance, to be heard. Your, time is, now. (Time is now).' 09. The Small Print - 'Take, take all you need, and I'll compensate your greed, with broken hearts.' 10. Endlessly - 'Hopelessly I'll love you endlessly, hopelessly I'll give you everything, but I won't give you up, I won't let you down, and I won't leave you falling, but the moment never comes.' 11. Thoughts Of Dying Atheist - 'And it scares the hell outta meee, and the end is all I can seeee.' 12. Ruled By Secrecy - 'Repress, and restrain, steal the pressure and the pain. Wash the blood off your hands, this time she won't understand. Change, in the air, and they'll hide everywhere, but no-one knows whos in control.' // 10

Overall Impression: The entire album is excellent. 11/10. If it were stolen, I would buy another, and bludgeon the thief with it. Superb from the death march of 'Apocalypse Please' to the sinister refrain of 'Ruled By Secrecy.' Buy it, now. The Muse machine commands you. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 29, 2003

Sound: The music is grandoise, they've made a whole new genre with this album, it's something like operatic/intelligent/informative rock, it's amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Matthew bellamy projects his views in such a way that you know what he's talking about, but don't have a clue. He's got such a sweet melodic voice that can turn violently mad at any given point. The lyrics fit in with the music so well that it sounds like one big new instrument. // 10

Overall Impression: Their last album, 'Origin Of Symetry' was absolutely amazing, but this, this is something better.They worked sooooooooo hard to get this album how it is. The intro to 'Apocaylpse Please' is only about 30 20 seconds long, but they spent ages getting all of the sound that they could find. The recorded it in a swimming pool, abandoned rooms and with eveything they could find to get that powerful intro, leading into some of the sure classics of tommorrow. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: risenfenix24, on july 19, 2004

Sound: Now these guys rock! Being a fan of modern british rock (3 Colours Red, Manic Street Preachers, Placebo) this CD fits right in with the genre. I can only describe Muse as Coldplay with a nice big set of testicles; they're melodic, haunting, angry, and happy all at the same time. The effects that Matt (the lead singer) uses on his guitars is quite unique with the fuzz bass of Chris present on almost every track and it makes for a very orchestral sounding record. It's very well done. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics range from scathing ("Apocalypse Please" and "Stockholm Syndrome") to touching ("Falling Away With You" and "Endlessly") to somewhere in between both ("Time Is Running Out" and "Hysteria"). The lyrics are well written and although occasionally muddled (what lyrics aren't though?) are thought-provoking and smart. // 10

Overall Impression: Best album I've bought this year (over some turkeys like the new Breaking Benjamin CD) and I'll be sure to pick up some of their other CD's as well. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 20, 2004

Sound: This sounds unlike anything I have ever listened to! I feel that Matt Bellamy is one of the most innovated guitarist of our time, and the bass and drums are equally awesome. Matt Bellamy's singing voicer and style is also unique and impressive. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics support the music and are highly emotive. The lyrics for "Hurricanes and Butterflies" for example stir up all sorts of emotion but aswell are extremely uplifting. The melody of the lyrics are aswell very impressive. The lyrics to "Thoughts Of A Dying Athiest" stir up all kinds of ideas inside the listener and the entire album contains a myriad of different and hidhly creative lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: This is by far the best album by Muse. It has better sound quality and extremely impressive songs. The songs Hysteria, Sing For Absolution, Stockhom Syndrone, Thoughts Of A Dying Athiest, Falling Away With You, TSP and Time Is Running Out. These songs take up mostof of the album but the other song I havent mentioned are still fantastic to listen to. if this labum was stolen from me I wouild have to get another copy. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2005

Sound: This is the album of 2003. Muse are easily the most talented UK band since Led Zeppelin, and this album beats their (excellent) previous attempt, Origin of Symmetry. The drums are simple yet incredibly effective, the basslines are intricate, fast and hard, and Matt Bellamy is one of the most talented musicians of the last 20 years. There are no blistering solos here, just 14 great songs. His riffs are amoung the greatest riffs of all time, and he also sings and plays piano! His usage of a whammy pedal and new, experimental pedals means that this is an album of the 21st century. It marks the end of nu-metal and grunge. Some may call Muse alternative but all I think they are is pure, futuristic rock. // 10

Lyrics: Matt has really worked on his voice since Origin and the results are great. They contain real anger, sadness and life. They may take some getting used to, but soon you'll be (attempting to be) humming along with his high pitched voice. Sometimes, his voice sounds a bit posh, but that's only on one song (The Small Print). Great. // 8

Overall Impression: What I love about this album is that (unlike many '90s bands) it is not just a handful of radio-friendly singles with some filler, but 14 classic songs that should be on everyone's CD player/iPod/Mp3. The best band since Guns N' Roses and Metallica, one of the best albums of all time. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: METSOAD, on march 28, 2006

Sound: This album sounds like the apocalypse sirens have been rung for boring music and a new era of British rock 'n' roll, with shred guitar, shred piano, shred bass and even shred drums, this is musically as grand and as crushing as the biggest symphony orchestra, the only song that doesn't sound like pure musical genius is Endlessely, is it a key board or a strange guitar? But I absolutely love the rest of the album, full of the grandest rock and roll ever, they combine Jimi Hendrix, Rage Against The Machine, Bethoven, Iron Maiden and Red Hot Chili Peppers to create a totally unique and informative rock album. // 10

Lyrics: This album is an apocolytic concept album, and the lyrics are suitably deppresing and menacing, but they are delivered by the best vocalist in rock today, Matthew Bellamy delivers ever ounce of the emotion in these lyrics, and probably more with a voice which flits between rock growls and operartic highs and lows, these three guys write the best lyrics, and are the best thing to come out of this country since the new wave of British heavy metal, they just convey so muchh meaning in such a tunefull manner that they have to be heard now. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Intro - this is absolutely crushong, the sound is amazing, frightening and beautiful all at once. 02. Apocolypse Please - follows on from the epic marching intro and is probably the heaviest peice of music ever played on a piano, it is brutal, devastating and awe inducing, it is what the song says "It's time we saw a miracle, it's time for something biblical" and this is it. 03. Time Is Running Out - this is the worst song on the album, and very possibly the worst song muse have ever written, it is ever so slightly dark and dangerous, but it is too poppy and bland for them, it doesn't do the lyrics enough justice, still a good song though. 04. Sing For Absolution - this song is excellent, the piano playing is simple but great, and the guitar solo is easy to play but riddled with emotion, and the chorus, although sad is so uplifting I thought that I was going to fly off. 05. Stockholm Syndrome - oh my God, this is the craziest bit off riffage that has ever crossed my unworthy ears, it ywist turns and girates in your mind, with typically killer words and a chorus to die for, but not much of a solo, still it rules. 06. Fallig Away With You - this is an extremely emotional song, but it avoids being overpretentious emo by bringing the pace down a fair amount and labouring every single note with all the emotion of every word and every drum beat feels like another hammer blow to your soul. 07. Interlude - although it's not a song I have to mention it, I love all the fuzzy effects, it's errie, cold calculating and mesmerising. 08. Hysteria - this is another slightly populist song but it is desperately brilliant live, you must here it live because Matthew and Chris play every single note perfectly, add some more, labour the song with a lot of emotion and jump about the stage like the rock gods that they are. 09. Blackout - this is the strangest rock song I have heard, full orchestra sound, fuzzed up Spanish guitar and creepy backing vocals, one of my favourites on the album but the only one that scares me. 10. Butterflies + Hurricanes - Bohemian Rhapsody meets the end of the world in a bizzare, melodic and hard rocking song, even better in the single version. 11. The Small Print - a return to basic rock and roll, and despite their usual operatic grandure, they know how to do good, meaningfull but simple rock and heavy metal, all those detractors who still maintain that they sound like radiohead after all these great years must be silenced now. 12. Endlessly - this song squirms and writhes around in my head like a tapeworm, unpopular at first, but catchy, unconventional and loaded with lyrical subverse. I now love it. 13. Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist - this is another song about death, another great slice of basic rock and quickenss the pace before the end of the album. 14. Ruled By Secrecy - this is my personal favourite on the album, it is dark, it is mysterious, and like a poison, it is quietly brutal and deadly. It works on so many levels that it is simply more than a rock song. If it were stolen or lost I would break my bonds of pacificsm and drive a lump of rusty iron through the heart of the thief and make sure he died. Then I would get it back and get back to great music. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: littleKID, on september 18, 2008

Sound: Muse is promising after their first studio albums, Showbiz and the expectacular Origin of Symmetry. So eventually after I heard Showbiz and Origin of Symmetry I thought! They are as great as Radiohead. "Radiohead is one of the two groups that are similar to Muse that are: Radiohead and The Mars Volta. So after I heard Absolution, the first thing that I thought was, ''Hullabaloo would have been even greater than what it was if it would've been after Absolution." I can only imagine Muse playing their hit songs Hysteria and Time is Running out in that epic concert. The sounds in this album varies from the progressive metal in "Stockholm Syndrome" to the lovely "Sing for Absolution" and to the crowd's favorite "Hysteria." Before this album, Muse did not manage to find great success in America before Absoultion because their jewel origin of symmetry did not get released there until 2005. Absolution got them to the top of the charts and turns Muse into one of the greatest bands of the decade. In this album the singles had success but could have gotten to number 1 if re-released one of this years. Year Single Chart Position 2003 "Stockholm Syndrome" UK Downloads Chart 31 2003 "Time Is Running Out" UK Singles Chart 8 2003 "Hysteria" UK Singles Chart 17 2004 "Sing For Absolution" UK Singles Chart 16 2004 "Apocalypse Please" UK Downloads Chart 10 2004 "Butterflies & Hurricanes" UK Singles Chart 14 2004 "Time Is Running Out" Modern Rock Tracks 9 2005 "Hysteria" Modern Rock Tracks 9 2005 "Stockholm Syndrome" Modern Rock Tracks 31 As you can see none got to number 1. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Bellamy is easily between the top 20 singers of all time. He can reach notes that are almost impossible to get to and can change his tones from very low to very high. Not many musicians manage to be an excelent guitarist and an excelent guitarist at the time, Matt Bellamy does that with the help of Chris Wolstenholme and Paul Reeve in the backing vocals. The lyrics are smart and do not get too obvious about dumbass love songs and pathetic ballads. No, not at all does Muse get close to do this (Maybe on Black Holes and Revelations in their song Starlight). the lyrics match great with their music and makes their great songs the greatest that you could ask for. The lyrics varies from really wanting something; Hysteria, to making fake love promises; Stockholm Syndrome, and to singing for abslution: Sing for Absolution. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is awesome, and in my opinion it CAN be compared to their previous work Origin of Symmetry. As I already said it compares only to The Mars Volta (in their really experimental alternative metal rock) and to Radiohead (in their style). I ordered the overall impressions of the songs in the order from the least good to the best (least good because they are all kick-***. The first number near to the song's name is their track number. Intro and Interlude are not counted in this list because of their length and cause their isn't really anything to talk about there. 14. Ruled by Secrecy: this is a beutiful song. The opening piano riff is really hunting yet beutiful. The lyrics are really good and is one of their most quiet songs. With this song Muse completes the tradition of having the last track in their album be really quiet and beutiful, like Megalomania. Overall Impression: 4 out of 5. 11. The Small Print: the beggining of the song is similar to plug in baby. The song has some really provocative and accelerated guitar riffs and bass riffs. The lyrics are really good talking about various things, the song has at minute 1:58 a kind of metal breakdown that is similar to the one in Stockhom Syndrome. Overall Impression: 4 out of 5. 12. Endlessly: man! I think this is the grooviest song from Muse. it's intro has a total nightclub soundtrack sound, but, wait! What is that with the lyrics, forget my nightclub thing. Their lyrics get it's groove essence lower. Yet it is impossible to deny that this song has a groove essence. Overall Impression: 4.2 out of 5. 06. Falling away with you: this is probably Muse's most beutiful song. The acoustic guitar is awesome and the lyrics are really good. Everything in that song is just perfect. It is towards the third minute that it's volume goes up by two. Then at the end it goes back to the beggining and has that beutiful melody.The song then flows into the interlude. Overall Impression: 4.4 out of 5. 13. Thoughts of a dying Atheist: the bass guitar in this song is so accelerated, the guitar and the lyrics are also accelerated. This song however has that touch of death that the title gives. This song could be used for two things: running for fun, and reflecting about life and death. The chorus is very good and has a perfect match with the song's speed. This song has a very good solo that does not lose the beat. This song prooves that people don't really listen to the lyrics because... they are a little cruel and suicidal. Overall Impression: 4.5 out of 5. 02. Apocalypse Please: this song is loud. Not really much to say except that "it is time for something biblical." This is really the first song in the album because I don't think the intro counts or does it? The piano is really good and so is the synthetizers and drums. Overall Impression: 4.5 out of 5. 09. Blackout: this is definately the song I want to listen when I am drowning or about to die. This song is pure genious. it's beutiful. The lyrics talk about something only a few songs in the world talk about: not being able to love because it's to good to be true and being to old to have it. Tell me one other song that talks about it. At minute 2:16 I could've sweared that the song would become louder. It didn't. Just a distorted guitar came in and replaced the violins and the mandolin. Overall Impression: 4.7 out of 5. 04. Sing for Absolution: want to hear something briliantly sad that talks about alsolution? Want to hear something briliantly dark that has a great music video? Want to hear something briliantly beutiful that has a haunting piano start? Well, all this questions can be answered with one song: sing for absoultion. It is Muse's saddest beutiful song. The lyrics are good. The instruments all do a great part in this awesome song, there is no instrument that you could say the song could be better without it. It has a solo in minute 3:10 that laps with the chorus. The song is part of the genious of this three extremely great musicians. Overall Impression: 5 out of 5. 03. Time is running out: oh! This is a great song. It has one of Wolstenholme's greatest bass riffs, and probably one of the catchiest choruses there can be. The guitar is great and so is the drums and backing piano parts, yet the instrument that stands out is Wolstenholme's bass. Overall Impression: 5 out of 5. 10. Butterflies and Hurricanes: this is the longest song in this album lasting 5:01 minutes, and every second of it is worth it. This is a really, how do I say? Tempting song. When you hear this you are like... Gees, I have to use this chance to be free, oh and my time is now... run! I heard this song and I felt like I had no chance in the music industry. The piano and evrything in this song is really good. Overall Impression: 5 out of 5. 08. Hysteria: will I ever find a better bass line? No! This is the ultimate demostration of Wolstenhome, Howard, and Bellamy chowing of their amazing skills in their instruments. The lyrics are good and I, personally thought... I better give it now. What a good song! It also has one of Muse's most distinguished solos and the most distinguished bass line of the decade. Overall Impression: 5 out of 5. 05. Stockholm Syndrome: disagree if you want. This IS Muse's best song. It varies from progressive metal to metal in the song's ''breakdowns.'' The song's lyrics are really good and it has what I would say is the best, the best, the greatest, the ultimate, the number 1 guitar riff of since sweet child o' mine. The song is just perfect, in my opinion it is even better than sunburn, new born, hysteria, bliss, and knights of cydonia. The song has everything: metal, rock, grunge, and progressive metal. At the end there is like a conclusion to the song in a language called metal. This is not only Muse's best song but is also it's loudest and heaviest. Overall Impression: 10 out of 5. In conclussion I would say... Absolution is the best album from Muse, no, it is not Black Holes and Revelation. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on december 10, 2003

Sound: The Muse sound is a strange one. Part grunge, part pop and part piano, this album differs slightly from the previous two studio outings, "Showbiz" and "Origin of Symmetry". Don't be fooled by certain mainstream music magazines claiming the album is a lot heavier than it's predecessors. It's really not. True, tracks like "Stockholm Syndrome" and "Hysteria" tread the darker path of Muse's musical range, but for every one of these songs, there's an acoustic number, such as "Sing For Absolution" or "Endlessly". It's not heavier, it just follows more of a controlled pattern. There are no "Plug In Baby"s or other psychadelic riffs, its all just straightforward rock. But, for the most part, it's good. // 8

Lyrics: Matt Bellamy has one of those truly unique voices, and it really works. He has the ability to put out the most high-pitched and whining of sounds, but still make every note sound full of emotion. His constant distorted vocals sound almost haunting. This, however, usually means you can't always hear the lyrics. Muse's lyrics are certainly not cliched, although they tread familiar themes, such as love and death, that kinda thing. They usually make sense, but theyre not the most philosophical writings in the world. The beauty of Muse is that they can produce a great record no matter what they sing about or how they sing it. Overall, the lyrics are similar to previous albums. Not ground breaking, but you can manage to sing along and not feel stupid, put it that way. // 8

Overall Impression: I had the pleasure of seeing Muse live this week, and I was shocked at the omissions of several classics. Despite this, they still managed an impressive show. The giant, white balloons and two confetti dispensers at either side of the stage helped make the experience more than memorable. Most of the stuff they played was from this, their third studio album. It differs slightly from the last two, in the way that it's more mainstream and accessible. There's no doubt about it, Muse are at the top of their game, and this album marks their breakthrough era. My favourite songs are "Tim Is Running Out", "Stockholm Syndrome", "Hysteria" and "Endlessly". // 8

Absolution Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2004

Sound: To say the truth, I don't like the album. I really liked Origin Of Symmetry and I hoped that it'll be the same with this, but it wasn't. And the reason why is, at least I think that it's too commercial, it's too close too every other record you can hear which Origin sure wasn't. Actually the only songs I like are Interlude and Stockholm Syndrom and I really don't like Time is Running Out. Some of the songs could actually be played on czech radio stations-and that's really bad cause here they play only mainstream pop shit. But, anyway although it's shit style of music it's done precisely. At least. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics are probably the same quality as the whole album. I dont really pay much attention to lyrics, but some songs here seemed to me as written by Czech Official Artists in the communist Era if you know what I mean? They some times seem really stupid (Falling Away With You) and stupidly optimistic others just average-nothing more or less. // 6

Overall Impression: Absolution is sure the worst of Muse albums and by pretty fuckin' far. I really hate the mainstream feel of the album. Why did they do such a different album than Origin? I think it sure aint worth the money and maybe aint even worth the effort of carryingit home if it were for free. But atleast the booklet inside the album is nice. // 4

Absolution Reviewed by: Codonah, on june 28, 2004

Sound: I love the sound when they play Rock but half of the album is mellow. They had potential to make this album great if it was all Rockin'. I havn't heard any of their earlier albums but this one Could have been awsome. I rate it a 4 because i love their Rockin' songs. // 8

Lyrics: Matthew Bellamy has a great voice and it fits all of the songs. He can change notes quite quickly, too. I like the lyrics. Catchy. Singing kind of sounds like Pink Floyd. Kind of. // 10

Overall Impression: My favorite song on the CD is Time Is Running Out. I love it. Again, I love the Rockin' songs. I hate how it had potential to be a great CD but half of it is mellow. If it were stolen I would buy it just for the good songs because I really love them. // 8

Absolution Reviewed by: kcsk8r, on august 09, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is flat out incredible. They combine great lyrics that have a mysterious quality with fantastic bass lines and great guitar riffs. Matt's, Muse's frontman, voice fits every song perfectly. They bring together a new type of music, featuring an emo quality and at the same time the alternative genre that seems to be the most popular at this time. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were very good. I liked how the lyrics flowed perfectly with the instruments. That is hard to come by now. Somehow, Muse does many things at once. While the bass is playing about 130 bpm, Matt is singing alot slower, but they pull it off to make a great song (Hysteria, track 8). Their singer is not the best, but then again, who is? I love this band. // 10

Overall Impression: They bring in a keyboard in some songs, which gives the song Time is Running out a Floyd like feel in some strange way to me. The most impressive songs from this album are Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, The Small Print, Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist, and Time Is Running Out. I would definitely buy this cd again if it was lost, even though it was 20 bucks. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: Robodude, on december 17, 2004

Sound: Muse have one of the most distinctive sounds around, and always surprise us with their innovative ways of music writing. On each album they provide us with something new despite their troubles. When I first heard muse I was gripped by this new type of sound. Muse have a very unique sound, and either you love it or you don't. I have to say, I think they are awesome, and anyone going to see them on the 20th December, rock out! // 10

Lyrics: Muse sound fits almost perfectly with their lyrics, and they always fit the songs with happier lyrics with a more upbeat song. I believe this album and origin of symmetry show both sides to their music well, and both should be invested in! Matt Bellamy is again, distinctive with his singing, and I think his voice fits in like a piece in a jigsaw puzzle. // 8

Overall Impression: I believe this is Muse's best production of music, along with Origin Of Symmetry, and the most impressive songs on here are Time Is Running Out, Sing For Absolution, Stockholm Syndrome and Hysteria. If you love distinctive and unique music, you will love this album. If I had it stolen it would have to be bought again, of course. It's muse! Buy it! // 8

Absolution Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is simply amazing, each song is layered in so many different ways and contain so many hidden touches that it's difficult to pick them all up at first. I've had this album for over a year and am still finding new sounds in some of the songs, I've found it's best to listen to this album through a good set of headphones rather than speakers to fully appreciate all the little touches. You can really tell how much work was put into the making of this album, especially if you watch the dvd that came with it (they even use paint cans to make the marching effect on the intro). The guitar work on this album is exemplary, just listen to the speed metal riff on the beginning of Stockholm Syndrome or the Paranoid, effects driven solo on Hysteria to see what I mean. The piano and vocal work is also stunning, Matt Bellamy has a vocal range unlike anyone I've ever heard and his voice swoops and soars as the instruments are played to a frenzy in the background. The bass and drum work is similarly impressive, bass intros usually don't go down too well but somehow the intros to Hysteria and Time Is Running Out make the whole song. The drumming is excellent and really fits the song well, listen to The machine gun drum roll as Stockholm Syndrome gets into gear to see what I mean. // 10

Lyrics: Muse are very hit and miss with lyrics, they tend to write their best songs when they're not trying to be too pretentious and just writing songs for the sake of songs. This can best be seen on some of their earlier work (especially songs like Muscle Museum and Darkshines) however on this album it seems like they have been too caught up in the whole "End Of The World" thing and haven't focused enough on writing individual songs. The best example of this is probably in TSP when Matt sings "and be my slave to the grave/I'm the priest god never paid", it seems a bit too pompous to be effective. This is not to say that muse write "bad" lyrics, just that they don't hold the same haunting quality as say someone like Thom York's (see bulletproof I Wish I Was, Let Down And Exit Music) or Kurt Cobain (Something In The Way, Dumb, All Apologies). It's a shame really because I honestly believe that if they could write lyrics that matched their instrumental genius they would go down as one of the best bands of all time. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall I'd say that despite it's flaws absolution is still one of my favourite albums, and considering that muse are still an incredibly young band (mid 20's) this album really shows just how amazing they could become. If it was lost I'd definitely buy it again. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: corvettecaz, on may 13, 2005

Sound: This is a pretty good CD for the open minded. If you're hardcore rocker you probably won't like it much. I bought this CD in a small store and on the way home it almost put my friend AJ and I to sleep. it's not all bad, though. The songs "Hysteria," "The Small Print," and "Thoughts Of A Dying Athiest" are really good. On the good songs the band sounds like a good mix of the Darkness and My Chemical Romance. On the bad ones they sound more like Ben Folds Five (and that means bad). // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good. They are thoughtful and expressive. The lead singer is really talented. This guy can hit some really high notes, but I guess that comes with being british. They really draw out the words on some of the songs (that can be bad and good). // 8

Overall Impression: I like 5 songs on this album. There are 14 in all. That means that there are nearly twice as many bad, slow, sleep inducing songs on this album. If you like your rock a bit soft then get; if you don't then stay away. If you get a chance to buy it on the cheap then you should get it. I know this is beside the point but if you like this band then check out the band Phantom Planet. You can read my review of it on this site. // 6

Absolution Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 09, 2005

Sound: Ok, I don't care what anyone says, despite the fact that it is not quite as good as Origins Of Symmetry, the sound is still absolutely amazing, and it definately deserves a five. Especially in comparison to other bands Muse clearly outshines them all (at least all the ones I have heard, and I have heard alot). Plus, they're British. British people rock, and British rock bands always have an edge when it comes to sound. // 10

Lyrics: I don't know if I've heard a single song that I do not like because of the lyrics in any of Muse's albums, much less Absolution. I kinda like the theme of The End Of The World, and the lyrics are brilliant. // 10

Overall Impression: There is no question that muse is of the elite in thier genre, or any genre you put them in, whether its alt rock, indie, metal, maybe not metal, but I'm definately a fan of their hardcore songs like Stockholm Syndrome, and Hysteria. And like I said, although it is not Origins Of Symmetry, it's still from Muse, and any album you buy or song you listen to is most definately worth your time and money. I do recommend this CD, but if you are only planning on buying one CD from muse, Origins Of Symmetry is your best bet. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: last summer, on november 03, 2005

Sound: I love this album because it is so good it makes me wanna go see them in concert. I think they have got better as they have gone along and they will be even better in the future. They have their own, unique style and thats what so great about them. The riffs are complex, if your a beginner, and I love Mathew Bellamy's voice it is wonderful because he can reach such high notes. Some people I know think that his voice is just whiny and horrible but I think it is beautiful. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good because if you read them they look a bit weird, but when you hear mathew singing them they actually make sense. He never drifts off the subject either and it has a sort of ethnic feel to it which I like. // 9

Overall Impression: The fact that they have created over four or five albums is phonomenal and they are truly an excellent band with their riffs and solos. My favourite song is on "Absolution," which is "Time Is Running Out," because it has a cool bass riff, a great video and it is one of their most famous ones. My second favourite track is on the same album, "Butterflies And Hurricanes," because it has excellent riffs in it and it just is a great song. // 9

Absolution Reviewed by: M3TALIKID, on november 14, 2005

Sound: Muse has come a long way. They added a more alternative sound to their usually more mellow music. Even though they still sound like Radiohead, better be like Radiohead than some crapy other band. Absolution is also very religious, or anti-religious would be a better word. It's all about atheism, and know what he's talking about. I'm an athiest myself. // 9

Lyrics: Again, very 'religious.' Mathew's lyrics blend perfectly with the guitar especialy. I can't believe how much Muse sounds like Radiohead (especialy in Absolution). // 8

Overall Impression: Absolution is a breakthrough album for Muse. It takes that 'Radiohead' sound, and enriches it with stunning guitar. (Maybe not stunning, but Muse definatly know what their doing in Absolution). Time is Running Out, Hystaria, and Stockholm Syndrom were the songs that Muse is now know for, but The Small Print also is a great song, unheard of to the public. Interlude, a song only 30 seconds long obviously, which contains no lyrics, definatly should have been made into a real song. The music really flowed, but oh well, right? If this album was lost, I would by it again, and again, if neccisary. // 9

Absolution Reviewed by: Uzi, on november 21, 2005

Sound: Matthew Bellamy is a genius. I think most of the ideas for their music comes from him. His guitar playing is influenced by Jimi Hendrix and Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine). This band does what no other bands have done before. I heard from some people that this album is too commercial and radio-friendly. But it is not. They became more popular because of some other reasons. Maybe it's because of the way they play live. This is the best Muse album. The only bad track is Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist. Everything else is good. // 10

Lyrics: You might think that some of their lyrics makes no sense. But all their songs are always very meaningful. It is very hard to tell what the song is about. I went to a muse fan site before and it has got all the meanings to the songs. I think The Small Print is about a book that Matt read. There are people who thought that Matt copied Thom Yorke's (Radiohead) vocal style. But Matt is a better singer than Thom. He's got a higher vocal range and he does the rock scream sometimes when playing live. // 10

Overall Impression: They are one of the best live bands ever. My favourite tracks in this album are Time Is Running Out, Stockholm Syndrome, Falling Away With You, Hysteria, Butterflies And Hurricanes, and The Small Print. The other songs are also great. Their songs are not pretentious. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: guitarista_727, on january 18, 2006

Sound: Okay, Muse has this mix of songs of different speeds, shall we say. They have slow paced to fast paced songs well arranged in the album, elimination any 'slowing down or speeding up' towards the end. They also combined great guitar playing with the piano's classical influence. // 10

Lyrics: Muse have some of the most impressive lyrics I have ever heard. Matt Bellamy's voice fits perfectly in either the band's pure rock songs or the ones with some classical influences. And voice blending for the band is no problem. Matt's voice blends well with the backgrounds voices, including bassist Chris. // 10

Overall Impression: Muse is a British band, and like The Beatles, they pulled it off. Muse is one of the greatest bands out there in terms of skill and creativity. One song that is sure to lure all of you is 'Stockholm Syndrome,' the perfect song of the mix of classical and rock. Worth every penny and marble you pay for this CD. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: i_strum_i_drum, on january 19, 2006

Sound: In general, you wouldn't need to push me too hard to listen to this album, seeing as I do enjoy giving Absolution a spin every now and then. These are talented guys who do indeed have the ability to make some pretty decent music. Catchy rhythms, clever guitar riffs, and inspirational melodies. Unfortunately, after listening to Absolution a couple times through, one can notice the similarness of the afore mentioned melodies. Also, originality is a factor that leaves me a little dissappointed. It's the curious similarity between Muse and Radiohead that is unavoidably found. Basically, at times I don't enjoy Belamy's vocals and get the feeling that he is trying to recreate Yorke's sound. It's off-putting to me, however I do get past it because I do enjoy Absolution. As I said before, these boys certainly do have talent and produced this overall enjoyable album. // 8

Lyrics: My overall impression of the lyrics on Absolution is that they are pretty well thought out. I find that the lyrics match the music pretty spectacularly and that's where I give alot of respect to them. I also really enjoy the connection the songs seem to have with one another, however noticeable they are. Despite one or two cliches, I like to hold Belamy fairly high on my list of the talented writers of today. // 9

Overall Impression: Absolution is an album I'm glad to have in my collection, and it is one I would definately recommend to others. My favorite track would have to be Stockholm Syndrome for it's really inticing guitar riff along with it's intriguing vibe it gives off with it's effects and such. It's probably one of my favorite tunes. I really enjoy the flow between songs, and I might think about buying it again if I lost it. Considering that I have it on my computer, however, I would probably just burn another copy. Overall good album. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: kushini, on january 30, 2006

Sound: This album is amazing. The sound is great, the album has so many differnt types of songs from rock to mellow, I loved the variation. The vocals by Matt, prove that once again, he's a genius, along with the rest of the band. Muse are one of the most talented and most amazing bands ever, the bass is amazing, as well as the drums, and Matt Bellamy is great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were great, very expressive most of the time. Matt is really talented, he reaches some really high notes without sounding really wierd which is great. The lyrics in Stockhome Syndrome were brilliant. Overall the lyrics were brilliant except for the random "yeah yeah yeah"s in thoughts of a dying athiest! // 9

Overall Impression: This ablum just makes a whole new genre for rock. They are so different from most of the other crappy bands. Stockholm Syndrome was definitly the best song along with. Matt can make every song sound so personal and I love that about him. He's once of the most talented musicians ever. Muse have combined great lyrics with great music. British rock bands are brilliant, and these guys are rock. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: Cliff_Hetfield, on march 27, 2006

Sound: The start of the whole album is just phenomenal. I loved the Intro, it's the best way to start it off, specially since it just builds up Apocalypse Please even more. The album was pretty diverse in it's music. From Piano and pounding Bass Drums, to a Funky Synth Bass Melody, and then it calms down to a simple yet effective little piano melody played by Mr. Matthew Bellamy, all the way to the Masterpiece Piano Solo in Butterflies and Hurricanes. It was just great lots of expirementation. The songwriting was great! The whole Album was about the Apocalypse coming and stuff, and they nailed the whole thought of the Apocalypse. If you listen to the lyrics they all tie in with Apocalypse in some way. When I first saw Muse' video for 'Time Is Running Out' I was amazed by the Synth Bass. But then I listen to the whole album and I was amazed again by how good the band was. They're very good for a three piece band. // 10

Lyrics: Like I said before all the songwriting fit in with their theme of the Apocalypse. The Lyrics fit in just perfectly with the music, Matt has a great voice. He can be relaxing and sometimes he can go into a very high pitched falsetto that can get annoying, but it's his style of singing you can't tell him not to do it. That's why Maverick lost them. // 10

Overall Impression: The whole album was great there was nothing about it that I hated. I loved it all. I love Chris' basslines, from the most simple to the most complex they're all great. Matt is just tremendous on guitar, piano, and vocals. Dom does a great job at providing the beat. Big reason why I like the band is its rhythm section, they provide great rhythm to all of the songs. This in no way compares to anything else I've ever heard. I would definetly go buy it again if it were lost, but after I get RHCP's Stadium Arcadium and Muse' new album. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: PRWNDWIA, on may 23, 2006

Sound: Well this is a mixture of origin of symmetry and showbiz really, combing the best bits of the two. It has a very hard rock yet progressive side to it in places. The intro leads nicely into apocalypse please which a great anthem proving you can rock with a piano! Then theres time is running out, a great straigh forward rock song, with a great bass line. Sing for absolution, ruled by secrecy and endlessly are the progressive slower songs on the album, which to me sound a bit boring after a while although endlessly has some great instrumentation in it. Among the hard rock highlights are stockholm sydrome, Hysteria, the small print and Thoughts of a dying aetheist. All great songs that simply rock. Among the slower song highlights is falling away with you, that song has simply one of the best guitar parts I've heard in a very long time. All in all this is defiently the best sounding muse album yet! // 9

Lyrics: Singer skills? Your joking right this is Matt Bellamy we are talking about, possibly the best vocalist in rock, but having said that a lot of people will not like his voice, it may simply sound too opera-ish for some people. Personally I love it and am overly jealous! The melodies are great on this, some of the highlights are sing for absolution and time is running out with great vocal parts and falling away with you with a great melody. A great sounding voice with great lyrics, but as I said his voice is very soft and maybe not as rough as some people like! // 9

Overall Impression: In my opinion this is definetly the best muse album so far, great sounding songs and a great sounding vocalist and I would definetly buy this album again if it were lost/nicked. The one downside is not everyone will like this album if your into harder heavier stuff I doubt youll like it, but if your into rock in general this is a must! // 9

Absolution Reviewed by: oddbod92, on january 18, 2007

Sound: I think that Muse have a very individual sound, and none of the songs on this album sound the same. Matt Bellamy's fantastic guitar solos and piano solos make this one of the best albums in the world, combined with the uniqueness and pitch range of his voice. I think that the way that a few songs on this album suddenly change into a different part (like after the piano solo on Butterflies and Hurricanes), makes Muse sound even more unique and better. // 10

Lyrics: I feel that the lyrics on this album are fantastically written and work extremely well with the music. As I mentioned before, Matt Bellamy's amazing voice and vocal range make the lyrics suit the songs and mood even better. The way that the lyrics are written affects how well the overall song sounds, and Muse have managed to write them in such a way that the songs sound fantastic. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't compare this to any other albums or artists at all as it is so individual, it's just Muse, and no one else. The songs that impress me most on it are: Time Is Running Out, Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria and Butterflies And Hurricanes, these songs are so well written and they never get boring, even after playing them hundreds of times. I love Muse's style and this song shows it in it's best form. I'd buy this album again because it is such a great album. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: Peter Kroeger, on may 17, 2007

Sound: The entire album sticks together and won't let you turn it off for a minute. They glued the songs together and let me tell you, you are not going to want to turn it off. Muse has found a way to make soft songs still receive a heavy character. Look for the heavy distortion in 'Blackout'. THey make a balance between soft, hard rock and someting in between that just makes you hold your attention. A fantastic album and a wonderful sound. // 10

Lyrics: You have a lot of artist these days where you don't even understand what they are singing. Muse made sure that this is not the case. The words are as important here as the music itself. It's another instrument if you like. Without the deep and floaty lyrics Absolution woudln't have been the same. Matthew Bellamy's falsetto does the trick. HIs voice is a like rubber that you can stretch to wherever you want. The way he sings his melody is like a guide throughout the song/music. // 10

Overall Impression: It is definately not comparable. I wouldn't even dare. It's not even comparable to their previous work or Black holes and revelations. Absolution is my favorite. Every song has been given a meaning and you have to worship the piano in 'Butterflies and Hurricanes'. It is breathtaking. The song 'Blackout' is so pure and so honest that it just doesn't bore after repeating it endlessly. My fave song on this album is 'Apocalypse please'. Just because the voice of Matthew Bellamy and the atmosphere the song creates. there isn't one song that is misplaced or not suitable for this album. 'I want it now!' Get it now! You won't regret it. I'd buy it again for sure. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: bowdowntomono, on july 23, 2007

Sound: No can do music better than Muse. How is it possible that three ordinary humans armed only with a drum kit, a bass, a guitar and a piano can produce some of the greatest music the world has ever seen? The three members have complete mastery over their respective instruments, with Matt Bellamy's exquisite voice soaring over it all to create Muse's own, special brand of apocalyptic epic rock. This album is my personal favourite of theirs, and it is incredible from start to finish. Pounding drums (Apocalypse Please), insanely good bass riffs (Time Is Running Out and Hysteria), incredible classical skills on the piano (Butterflies and Hurricanes), even better guitar skills (Stockholm Syndrome) and the best singing I've ever heard (Blackout) all add up to a masterpiece. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Bellamy is quite simply the best singer I've ever heard, even better than Freddie Mercury in my opinion. He has an enormous range, and has Chris Wolstenholme to help out with the backing vocals. The lyrics themselves are a lot more meaningful than those on the previous three Muse albums (Showbiz, Origin Of Symmetry and Hullabaloo), and use as their subject matter mainly the end of things, such as relationships (Endlessly), life (Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist) and the world (Apocalypse Please). Some of the most anthemic lyrics I've ever heard are those in the chorus of Butterflies And Hurricanes: "Best, you've got to be the best, you've got to change the world, and use this chance to be heard, your time is now." Admittedly, there are songs where the lyrics are just words that fit to the tune of the song (The Small Print)), but this makes little difference. // 10

Overall Impression: This album has to be my favourite bar non, as it is Muse's best, and in my opinion, they are the best group ever. Its apocalyptic subject matter and music suits me just fine, and makes for some of the most epic rock ever seen. And it's not even a concept album! The best songs from the album have to include Time Is Running Out, Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, Blackout and Butterflies And Hurricanes. In my opinion the quality drops minutely after Butterflies And Hurricanes, but the genius of Muse still remains. One of the best albums ever to grace this planet. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: Confetti, on december 03, 2008

Sound: What is wrong with Muse fans? When the Showbiz was a great start from one of the most original alternative rock bands in the 21st century, and Origin Of Symmetry was a succesfull followup for the classic, Absolution is one of the most over rated albums I have come a cross of. When Muse is at its best Bellamy can give out some of the most inspiring guitar melodies I have heard. When he is at his worst the songs seem to drag a lot. Not even the great bass lines of Chris Wolstenholme can't save most of the songs on the album. Suprisingly the basslines are more innovative then anything that Bellamy can bring to the table on this record. And one member that even I haven't payed enough atention to. Dominic Howard. A great drummer with a sence of drama in the drumming. // 7

Lyrics: Intensity of Bellamys vocals are undeniable. Mostly on Sing For Absolution and Hysteria but still good work from Matthew. One thing I don't like in Muse is that most of the songs have the same type of feeling in the vocals so Bellamy hasn't got so much variability in his singing melodies. // 6

Overall Impression: The album starts beatifully with songs like the ok - Apocalypse Please, and Time Is Running Out, and after that - Sing For Absolution witch is the first highlight of the record. The real highlight of the album comes right in the midle of it. And many Muse fans would agree. it's Hysteria. But there is too much that you just couldnt care less about. I have heard the album dozens of times and half of the songs don't ring a bell in my head. This record dosnt come even close to Showbiz and pales in comparison even to Origin Of Smmetry. As a fan I can take something out of the record that some other people wouldn't but still it's way too average record in Muses recording history. // 6

Absolution Reviewed by: knight.777, on december 05, 2008

Sound: Muse pushed the boundaries of music in their album Absolution. The amazingly talanted Matt Bellamy, using his classical music background, brought an amazing twist to the album by bringing the classical into rock, especially heard in 'Butterflies and Hurricanes' with the piano solo in the middle of the song. His piano playing is exceptional but his guitar playing has hit the mark to make him hailed is one of the great guitar heroes of the 21st century. The superb guitar riffs like in 'Hysteria' and 'Stockholm Syndrome' are examples of his unbelievable guitar playing. As well as bringing loud and metally music into the album Muse have also added emotional and heart warming music to Absolution such as 'Blackout' and 'Ruled by secrecy' which makes the album even more interesting. I think that this band always leave mind blown with their music but this album made them even more worth knowing about. // 10

Lyrics: The beautifully written lyrics of this album have made the overall mood of the music make it unique, because of the unusual way of giving their impression of the song you're listening to. In 'Sing for absolution', absolution meaning escaping consequences of sins, they haunt you with the words of the song such as 'sing for absolution, I will be singing' because of the emotion in Matthew Bellamy's voice you can hear. The singing of skills of Matt are amazing and his voice can be soft and calming such as in 'Blackout' or it can be stronger such as in 'Stockholm Syndrome'. His voice fits the mood of all the songs on the album and all of the songs they have ever done. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is unique. Muse does have their own sound and I don't think they compare to any other band in terms of the soulfully written lyrics and the skillful intrument playing. The most impressive songs of the album I think are all of them because of the way they flow and the way the music doesn't hold back. I love the complecated guitar riffs and piano riffs which have made this an album worth buying. And I would never want to lose track of any of the Muse albums or I would have to go out and buy them again. Absolution will leave you in goosebumps. // 10

Absolution Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 09, 2010

Sound: Though some may still consider them Radiohead mimics, obviously Muse continues to strike a nerve with their alternative hard rock audience, here releasing their third album of heavy guitars, haunted harmonics, and paranoid musings in Absolution. Frontman Matt Bellamy and company stick to the same disturbed, and sometimes disturbing, formula that's worked in the past: the emotional intensity and style of Radiohead, a rock thunder descended from Black Sabbath, and the baroque drama of Queen. Longtime producer John Leckie sits this one out, and in steps indie ber-engineer Rich Costey. With Costey manning the desk, the music feels more polished and slick, but less epic and raw. Longtime fans won't miss a beat though, because Bellamy delivers the same Thom Yorke vocal impersonation for which he's known, and continues the same anthemic posturing he's lifted from Freddie Mercury. With song titles and subject matter fueled by fear of the apocalypse and worries about infidelities and random murders, the subject matter is as gloriously pretentious and lovably unlovable as ever. Newcomers to the band should expect killer guitars reminiscent of jackhammers and chainsaws, bloodcurdling choruses, and of course, tender passages of falsetto. A recurring motif of racing samplers suggests nothing less than a rock opera version of the score to Koyaanisqatsi, and then there are the occasional spooky moments where funky rhythms mingle with heavy metal guitars, suggesting a progressive Italian zombie flick soundtrack. There's little point in selecting highlights, because other than some slow moments that feel tacked on, there's not much variation in theme or mood. Many listeneres will probably prefer to tackle the album in small doses, and only the most headstrong won't require a breather. Muse continues to make unrelenting hardcore art rock; Absolution is a tad cheesy, a bit too grandiose in its ambitions, bursting at the seams with too many ideas, and thus exactly what any Muse fan craves. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are bloodcurdling in extreme. The terrified, twisted ideas of the choruses, especially reinforced in songs such as 'hysteria' and 'apocalypse please' give a whole new level of disturbia! And the franticness of songs such as the 'small print' and then mixed with the inital softness of song like 'blackout'. The lyrics fit the style brilliantly. But still not too closely that there isn't an edge to the music // 7

Overall Impression: The style is similar all the way through. I love this album, it is fantastic, and would buy it again. Really worth buying if you are a muse fan of even if like the style of heavy metal mixed with a softness that is very creepy... // 8

Comments