Black Holes & Revelations review by Muse

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
Muse: Black Holes & Revelations

Muse return with a brand new sound. Following up the number one album Absolution, they go one further once more. With new instruments in the mix such as trumpets and synths, they utilise these to great advantage. Each track is perfectly mastered but not to the point that it is totally computer generated. Stand out tracks include: Starlight, a U2-esque power ballad with beautiful vocals by Bellamy; Supermassive Black Hole, the dark dance floor sure fire hit, it features prince style vocals from Bellamy and a riff that sounds like franz ferdinand from Mars; Knights Of Cydonia - imagine a desert landscape, horses galloping and lasers, you're not even close. This track is truly epic. Bellamys vocals shine becoming an instrument itself, whereas the drumming on this track shows just how accomplished Dom Howard is; Map Of The Problematique sounds like a bond theme to start, with synthesizers, heavy pounding drums and a forceful bassline. This is my favourite track on the record, it's daring but it's perfect in everyway. Check out Hoodoo for some flamenco style riffery which finds Bellamy in reflection.

Matt Bellamy once again has proved himself as a lyrical master. The CD is evidently politically themed. The opener Take A Bow finds Bellamy calling on World Leaders to take responsibilty. Almost ominously.

This album is a sure fire number one. It's going to be a BIG seller. The most impressive songs to me, are the awe inspiring Knights Of Cydonia, Invincible, Starlight and Map Of The Problematique. There is such a range of styles on BHAR that it is impossible to call it samey, which I found of the latest RHCP offering. The only criticism for me, is that it seems very heavily produced. Which really I don't see as a bad thing.

kt_guitarist
    where do you all buy/ dowload this album i believe it wont be in stores here untill the 3rd of july i thought. For the record, i live in The Netherlands.
    Chable
    I love this album. My fav. songs are Starlight, Supermassive, Map of the problematique, Soldiers poem, Exo-politics and Knights of Cydonia. Its a great album and its also has a continuing theme running through most of it. Muse have tapped into another kinda music, which makes their new stuff sound kinda like ELO, especially starlight. But they still have the awesome lyrics and classy riffs. Give this album a chance, it will grow on you...
    marjofromfrance
    please!! can somebody send me a song !! in france we can't hear this album !! pleaaaaase !! help ...
    Phoenix_24Leas
    yeah initially I wasn't liking SBH but like just about every muse song it grows on you.I've only heard KoC, SBH,Map and Starlight but Starlight's the best in my opinion despite the nancy intro
    Phoenix_24Leas
    and did anyone notce how Absolution kept switching between soft songs to hard?i.e. absolution, stockholm, FAWY then Hysteria. thought that was pretty ingenious
    electr8r
    Knights of Cydonia sounds kinda like an early 60s song, "Telestar" by The Tornadoes, but with steroids and Queen vocals. AWESOME!!!