Black Holes & Revelations review by Muse

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
Muse: Black Holes & Revelations

They kept us waiting three long years, and the wait got to some of us, but it is finally here. Muses long awaited follow up to their enormous album Absolution, and what a cracker it is. Another reviewer said that this album has structure in comparison to their previous releases, and I have to agree- while absolution peaks then drops then peaks then drops, and origin seems to be a collection of good songs, BHAR is almost like a concept album in its majestic vocals which follow the same theme. More on those vocals later. The album is shorter than absolution and is better for it- you can listen to the whole thing in one go, and yes, every song grows on you. whether its their opener Take a Bow, with its amazing guitar section, which somehow manages to beat their previous opener Apocalyspe please. The album features many different styles, such as Starlight (happy song), Assassin (heavy song), Hoodoo (majestic song), Soldiers Poem (amazing ballad), and Supermassive Black Hole (picture a robot dancing to depeche mode and prince singing. The 3 best tracks on the album: Map of the Problamatique, with great piano that we have come to expect from Bellamy, and a great riff as well; City of Delusion, a real muse masterpiece which I cannot believe, it is truly epic; Knights of Cydonia, which just about beats COD because of its amazing breakout section, solo and the best one liner on the album (no ones gonna take me alive, the time has come to make things right). Absolutely majestic.

Bellamys lyrics have always been confusing, and though they are still odd in places, there is a reoccuring theme of destruction and no one doing anything about it. As usual, his vocal range is immense, with power and melody coming second nature to him. He sings beautifully in Soldiers Poem about a soldier not knowing what he is fighting for. The good thing is, not all of their songs are as obvious as say, System of a Down. You can take what you want from the lyrics, but you will be affected. As soon the final track Knights of Cydonia ends, you feel a call to arms to go and do something. And if a singer can make you feel that, then lyrics must be worth a 10.

This is Muse's best album, because it is an album that you have to listen to start to finish to appreciate. Not one song requires you to press the skip button. If it were stolen, I'd appreciate the thiefs good taste in music, and hope he enjoys it as much as I have. I am still listening to this album now, and I will be this time next year. Do yourself a favour this Monday, run to the shops as early as you can, you won't regret it.