Black Holes & Revelations review by Muse

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
Muse: Black Holes & Revelations

forget the hype, forget the shock the first time you heard Supermassive Black Hole, only a fool would deny that muse have made the album of their career. As soon as the drums crash in 2 minutes into the opener Take a Bow, you know you're in for something special. Put simply, if in anyway you are interested in alt rock/indie/metal/pop/prog/techno/classical music, then there is something here for you. This album WILL sell, and you should be glad for it- there is nothing else like muse at the moment and there hasnt been since some english band decided to make OK Computer. Yes thats right, I just compared BHAR to OK Computer, for the variety of the songs is the same. Muse, thankfully, have less slow, sleepy songs on their album than their previous effort, Absolution. Unlike the aformentioned album, this album gets stronger as it goes along- the last 4 songs (Exo-Politics, City of Delusion, Hoodoo, Knights of Cydonia) are probably the best, delivering a four-pronged assault to the ears that is truly amazing. The instruments? despite a lack of piano, that question should not even be answered. Of course its top notch, with the guitar, bass and drums all reaching dizzying new heights. But what else would you expect from Muse?

On first listen, the lyrics appear to be random and excessive in places. On second listen, you realise how completely and utterly wrong you are. Bellamy has beaten himself once again, especially on soldiers poem and invincible. the closing lines of Knights Of Cydonia "No ones gonna take me alive" are incredibly powerful, though not beating the best closing lyrics on the album - Hoodoo; "And I've had recurring nightmares that I was loved for who I am, and missed the opportunity to be a better man" which beats any line he has ever said before. And even supermassive black holes princy/justin timberlake vocals are no challenge to him. 29 later this year, this man shows no signs of stopping.

A truly majestic album in every single way, buy this CD if you have any kind of interest in music. If you dont like this album, you don't like music. If you don't like music, I have to ask why you are on a site called Ultimate-Guitar.

japes
    Fozzie3000 wrote: "this album is on par with Ok Computer" For **** sake, not the whole Radiohead shit again!! Can't anyone see their completely different, Muse are ****ing awesome, and Radiohead, well, they lack anything I would call half good. How the hell did Ok Computer get the best album of this century? Its a slap in the face, they might as well have given Busted to top price!! Muse rules, love the new record. Not as good as I was hoping, I wanted more riffage and awesome bass but I am happy all the same.
    mate, im sorry, but that is the most noobish thing ive ever read. ok computer is an awesome awesome record, black holes and revelations is also brilliant, anyone who recognises good rock music can tell that. You cannot compare them though as they are DIFFERENT. argument over
    rangermetz241
    this album is a very good album but it can't hold absolutions jock! absolution is the best cd i have ever listened to. it defines the word album. i instantly fell in love with absolution. i was very dissapointed when i bought and listened to black holes and revelations. eventually it grew on me but still, i know for a fact i'll never like it as much as i love absolution
    InLimbo11
    fluffylump2
    azureXsmurF
    fluffylump2 wrote: can somebody please explain this band to me? I have heard like two of their songs and they're regarded as like geniuses in magazines and sites such as this one. so what's up with these guys? what do they sound like?
    They sound like purple =]
    japes
    InLimbo11 wrote: OK computers overated, and dont call me noobish radiohead are my damn favourite band and only para andr matches anything such as like spinning plates, idioteque, and national anthem on Kid A and amnesiac, and i would rate muses new album as a 9, prob not a ten, its not perfect
    i wont call you noobish, but the dude i originally quoted was comparing radiohead to busted...
    RATM_Rocha
    electr8r wrote: Knights of Cydonia sounds kinda like an early 60s song, "Telestar" by The Tornadoes, but with steroids and Queen vocals. AWESOME!!!
    Matt's dad was in them, Read issue 1118 of kerrang and theres 20 things you didn't know about muse in it, it's great. My fav tracks. Maps. Starlight. KoC. And Soliders Poem. All of them are great songs, but there the best four, also, LALALA, Does the Supermassive scare anyone else, or is it just me?
    Aussie Ghost
    MUSE will headline at the Big Day Out in Australia next year, cant wait!!! Chili Pepers and audioslave are goin to, **** yeah!