Black Holes & Revelations review by Muse

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
Muse: Black Holes & Revelations

Well here we are, 7 years after after their debut album Showbiz, and this band is still the best there is. This album, while it is more experimental than their other albums at points, it still has the same tenacity of other muse records. Muse's usual sound comprised of guitar, bass and drums, but with this album they have began to use synths more often than they used to, such as on tracks like Take A Bow and Map of the Problematique, but there are still some great guitar based tracks on here like Exo-Politics and Assassin.

The lyrics on this album are, in my opinion, not as good as on the other albums, there is not much of a mixture of lyrics, they all seem to be following a political theme, which can be good, but not if it's used on every track on the album. Although there is no denying that Matt Bellamy is one of the most talented lyricists around today, both in terms of writing lyrics and singing.

This is certaintly a great album, although I don't think it as good as Origin Of Symmetry or Showbiz, it is much better than Absolution, which was a bit of a let down for me. My personal favourite songs on the album are Knights of Cydonia, Take A Bow and Exo-Politics, although I'm not a huge fan of Starlight and Supermassive Black Hole, they are still good songs. I would certainly reccomend this to any music fan. It is a great introducion to muse, and would definitly have persuaded me to buy their other albums if I didn't already have them.