Black Holes & Revelations review by Muse

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
Muse: Black Holes & Revelations

The album starts out with "Take a Bow." The song starts off rather empty with Bellamy playing a piano lick and singing. As the song gradually grows, it becomes more atmospheric as other instruments enter. Its climactic ending leaves a trail of decay and feedback as the CD moves into the heavy bass line of "Starlight," a slightly more romantic and pop-oriented track. The diversity of Muse on this album is consistent with their other works in the sense that every song has different and distinguishable aspects. The band sounds great on each track with different instruments taking the spotlight at different points. Bellamy's guitar work, as always, is enchanting, especially on tracks like "Assassin" and "Knights of Cydonia." As far as style, Muse is impossible to tag. Their songs themselves escape specifications. Black Holes and Revelations is a Science Fiction Romance. Spacey and Majestic, the sound in itself is the reason why I continue to listen to this album.

Matt Bellamy's falseto singing is extremely impressive. His incredible range and cryptic lyrics of romance, conspiracy, and the supernatural are often compared to those of Thom Yorke(Radiohead). The lyrics fit comfortably overtop their respective songs and very much follow the movement of the music. At times it is hard to decode exactly what Bellamy is singing about, but then again, that is part of the fun in listening to music. To be honest, I looked up most of his songs, but then again, I'm not the most eclectic source of knowledge either.

This certainly wasn't my favorit Muse album, but by no means does that degrade it's quaility. I think anyone who is a fan of Muse should deffinately check this album out becuase the band's continuous diversity will probably surprise you. I think Knights of Cydoina is certainly the "pedestal" track of the album(hey! It's on Guitar Hero 3). However you percieve it, Muse's Black Holes and Revelations is a great album, but not quite their finest.

Paul Lambeth
    jfsj123 wrote: radiohead arnt dat gd muse kiks ass!! The time has come to make things right (folled by great riff) and a orgasmic finish amazing song
    Well, no, Radiohead are brilliant pioneers of innovation. Listen to anything past The Bends (that was just a defining album for the genre anyway) and you can hear tremendous innovation which more bands should attempt. Like Muse are. That's the only comparison I make between them.