Black Holes & Revelations review by Muse

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
Muse: Black Holes & Revelations

The sound re-defines music with all different styles used by Muse on their 2006 album. Their is an impressive use of synths (take a bow) and mind-boggling solos (Invincible) in which two handed fretting is required. Knights of Cydonia, the last track on the album, is an epic and defining rock song and is described by bassist, Chris Wolstenholme, as '40 years of rock history in 6 minutes'. The intro is influenced by The Tornados' hit, Telstar. Matt Bellamy, the vocalist, pianist, composer of the music and lead guitarist, is the son of George Bellamy who played rhythym guitar for the band. In the album there is an impressive use of guitars. This is showed in most songs but mostly Exo-Politics, Supermassive Black Hole and Knights Of Cydonia. Supermassive Black Hole sees Bellamy's voice become a falsetto, a new sound. Soldiers Poem was a very different song from the rest and the acoustic ballad also went off in a completely different direction. The band said that it was epic but was completely stripped down until a very simple arrangement was left.

Matthew Bellamy is obviously a very talented singer and as he writes all the songs, is able to express his views in the songs. Bellamy is known to be a fan of sci-fi, and in the song Exo-Politics, he sings about 'zetas' filling the sky. Zeta is short for zeta reticuli which is an alien. Bellamy also sings about his political views in Take A Bow, Soldier's Poem, Assassin and Exo-Politics. He sings about the leaders of the world being corrupt and that they have done wrong. The lyrics work well with most songs and in my opinion, three of the best are Supermassive Black Hole, Knights of Cydonia and Exo-Politics. In all the lyrics fit the music and are sung by a more than capable singer.

This is definitely my favourite album... I believed this band's previous releases to be good but this blew me away! I will buy a copy of this for all my favourite places and my favourite song on the album has to be Knights of Cydonia. I bought the guitar tablature book for this and don't regret it at all! This has 11 incredible tracks and if you don't own it, go out and buy it right now!

Ovenman
    I don't know who started off the argument, but Muse and Radiohead are two brilliant bands with completely different sounds. Anyone who say's anything but the singing is alike are just joining the bandwagon.
    Rockinguitar
    Was it just me, or was the 1st review EXTREMELY long winded? And I ain't even gettin' into this debate between bands. People like what they like so why are Radiohead fans here arguing, and why are Muse fans arguing back?