Black Holes & Revelations review by Muse

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Muse: Black Holes & Revelations

Ah, Muse. That Queenesque British band we all know and love. Unless we are the fans who AREN'T Twilight-absorbed little girls still finding out just what the hell PMS means, and have not only heard songs OTHER than "Supermassive Black Hole," but have also been fans since before Robert Pattinson was even in Harry Potter, let alone this new blob of mush called Twilight. Don't get me wrong, I was alright with the books, but the movie ruined "Supermassive" for me on SO many levels, it's hard to describe without throwing up all over that lovely shirt you're wearing. Anyway, Muse. Like I said, Queenesque, less so in this record. In fact, compared to 'Absolution,' another one of Muse's hits, it's got a lot more...oh, I dunno how to describe it. Not techno, not synth, not hip rock. It's got more bass. More beat. Hence "Supermassive Black Hole." No, that's not the only track on the record, but it's probably the most innovative--it's different from any Muse you've heard before, at least, to a degree, and it's actually really good. That's almost the only track of its sort, however. Others have acoustic guitar a lot, piano, more guitar, okay vocals, etc etc. Basically, it's no different, other than "Supermassive," than any other Muse album. Not really, anyway. I guess I can say "Hoodoo," "Invincible," and "Soldier's Poem" are, but, other than that, it's still the great sound of Muse. It IS different from other albums, but, there again, it isn't.

Lyrics? Lyrics? Ah...not a lot to say. I mean, they're charming for average, but that's almost all I can say. Nothing really unique, but, at the same time, they're good for average. The singer is pretty good, he's got nice control over his falsetto, nice emotion. I know I compare this band to Queen a lot, but he really doesn't sound anything like Freddie Mercury at all. He IS good, however. The lyrics and sound go together very nicely, much like crayons (that make music) all over a fresh stack of paper (making music) by your 3 year old son (who is singing). It just sounds...good. I really, really like this record, for an average record. This is the sort of innovative sound music needs these days; it really is. I guess this review is sort of abrupt, then.

This is probably the best Muse album thus far, though 'Absolution' is still excellent, and, really, one of the great records of the year 2006. This is one of the records that was good BEFORE it was hyped up, unlike stuff like Green Day's 'American Idiot' (which was good for the genre, the genre being I Suck More Carpet Than A Broken Vacuum Cleaner) and My Chemical Romance's latest 'The Black Parade.' Those were called extremely average that weren't even great for average, the exception probably being the latter. There again, 'Black Parade' got away with ripping off older artists like Pink Floyd, Nirvana, and, yes, Queen. Muse, however, is completely original, and, therefore, gets my thumbs up. This record in particular, you should probably buy, because it's really incredible, even if not more so than it could be. Really, I think it should have been a bit longer. Best tracks are "Starlight," "Map of the Problematique," and "Invincible." Nice job, boys--now show us even better.