Black Holes & Revelations review by Muse

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
Muse: Black Holes & Revelations

My musical interests used to be so dull and near non-existant, until I bought Guitar hero 5 and played Plug In Baby and realised that Muse were awesome. Since then I have heard everything there is too hear, and I love it all. Black Holes is very different from Absolution; Absolution having some classical influences but also hard rock tunes. Black Holes and Revelations drop the classical, but brings in a whole lot more: 01. Take a Bow: 8 - The synth intro works well, seems a bit soft to begin a Muse album, that is, until things really kick off. The guitar really adds to this track, and the ending is truly brilliant 02. Starlight: 9 - Starlight brings love to the album, with a catchy tune and the mix of guitar and piano, which works really well in blend with Matt's amazing vocals 03. Supermassive Black Hole: 10 - This is one of the songs that really shows Muse's ability to make a good song that will please even the R&B robots. The guitar is very catchy as are the beautiful vocals, and the drum beat. It remains my second favourite Muse song 04. Map of the Problematique: 9 - Another step into previously uncharted territory for Muse, but again a great success. The song is easy to dance to, having that feel, and is catchy and funky 05. Soldiers Poem: 7 - While it's not chart topper, it definitely has meaning with some acoustic guitar and referance to soldiers and wars. 06. Invincible: 9 - A sweet love song, about not letting "them" pull you down, but also provides a kick in the middle of the album with a guitar shredding solo (more uncharted territory). 07. Assassin: 7 - Like soldiers poem, it's not going to be topping charts, but it does convey one of the boldest messages Muse have written into a song so far: "Destroy Demonocracy". The drums are the standout in this song 08. Exo-Politics: 8 - Some nice guitar riffs, and epic solo. Contains thought-provoking lyrical themes, and would probably have been a single if the other songs hadn't have been so good 09. City of Delusion: 7 - With it's spaghetti western feel, it is a good song. The trumpet parts are also very good, which play over gutiar 10. Hoodoo: 7 - a random piece of music, but really sets you up for the behemoth approaching... 11. Knights of Cydonia: 10 - This is a proper good song like nothing I've heard before. The guitar riffs are amazing, the vocals are amazing, everything is amazing. With this song alone Muse return credibility to prog rock

The lyrics, as always, are amazing. They really relate to the here and now and suit the songs perfectly. Matt is definitely on top of his game. From the political feels of Take a Bow, Assassin and Exo-politics, to the love themes of Starlight and Invincible, the songs are easily relatable to who you are and that intimacy makes Muse an amzing band.

It really blows any other modern rock artist out of the water, because Muse are just so bold. They don't care about making mistakes, they just want to experiment and make amazing music (which they succeed in doing). Other bands play it safe and make good steady tunes, but Muse really raise the bar for other modern band. The Most impressive songs are Supermassive Black Hole and Knights of Cydonia, just because they are so different and amazing in their own right. There isn't really anything to hate on this album, it's all good. If this album was stolen, I would buy another the next day. If it was stolen again, I would buy it again. If it was stolen everyday of the year, I would buy it again and again, because Muse are truly the best.