H.A.A.R.P.: Live At Wembley [DVD] review by Muse

• Released: Mar 17, 2008
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Muse: H.A.A.R.P.: Live At Wembley [DVD]

The words Muse, Wembley and stadium go together like Bish, Bash and Bosh and as people who also went to the concert would agree (me) best, concert and ever and Jimi, Hendrix and Woodstock. The sound on this DVD captures what it was like to actually be there well and is absoulutely epic. Muse's sound seems to be selected by the gods to be played live with intense riffs, awesome vocals and beutiful and epic moments were the crowd is just too stunned to do anything else but marvel. Matt Bellamy is not just the first guitar genius of the 21st century he is also a master song writer using strings, trumpets and multiple guitar tracks (there is eight on Knights Of Cydonia) to create some real musical masterpieces that are not just great rock songs.

Content — 10
The DVD doesn't have many feautures on it but the ones it does have are enough. The DVD comes with a song selection, photo gallery and a r/documentary of the making of the concert. The recording is of the concert on the 17th of June and when purchasing the DVD it comes with an CD of the 16th which in my opinion was a much better concert. The limited edition DVD/CD boxset also comes with "limited edition postcards" which are not really postcards at all and more resemble place mats.

Production Quality — 10
There are many camera angles and tricks used to spice up the DVD. Apart from the usual guitar, drum, piano and bass cameras there is also crowd cameras, cameras that pan around inside the stadium and give amazing shots of the on-stage production and also due to the magnitude of the concert there is a helicopter above the stadium showing awesome views of the stadium at night.

This concert has been documented as one of the best of all time with the first day making Muse the first band to sell out Wembley Stadium. I feel let down that they did not release the first day on the DVD as I feel it was a better concert with more crowd participation, better improvisations and solos by Bellamy as well as more and just generally the atmosphere was amazing. However this is still a great DVD for a great concert and if I lost it somehow I would probably take my own life.

leafy
    god dammit i want this dvd so bad i saw a trailer for it and it almost took my head off with its awesomeness so i better be careful when i watch the whole thing good review, by the way =P
    kalamari
    In your overall impression you said it could have been better and yet still gave it a 10??
    sammcl-15
    I was there on the Saturday, and the sound on the CD did not do it justice at all, they also cut 'Plug in Baby' which, to me, seems that the quality must have been too poor to keep. I'd have given it a 5/10. The gig was far better.
    gynther flynt
    That's what pisses me off too. Fans put reviews here, but they really don't say anything too meaningful and just give a full 10. This guy may have said something worth mentinoning, but the 10s still give him an amateur look.
    Froggy McHop
    I'm dissapointed with the DVD, sure the performance was great, but the best songs were cut and the 'extra footage' was bloody laughable. I bought the special edition for an extra fiver, and all I get are 3 coasters to put my tea on
    spiff389
    i pre-ordered it and i'm so excited! but it isn't released until April 1st here in the US
    Amitio
    I bought it yesterday! The making of wasn't that good, especially when compared to that of the hullaballoo dvd. Postcards were cool, but not postcards, but as someone said, more of a placemat. Cd was a dissapointment, so many song they should have put on the cd, considering the gigs were around 23 songs long. Citizen erased on cd would have been amazing!