Madness review by Muse

• Released: Aug 20, 2012
Muse: Madness

This is the true crossing point between "Unsustainable" and "Survival". It has the electronic elements from "Unsustainable", and all of the melodic and ballad elements from "Survival", along with the occasional Queen-esque choir vocals. This is the song people will be humming on their daily walks.

The lyrics were awesome on this song, but I'm kind of unsure of how well they fit with the melody of the music. It was definitely interesting to many open-minded listeners, but I'm not sure how well the long time hard-core fans will respond. The singing in itself is spectacular. Some people complain about Bellamy's voice, saying he moans instead of singing, but he proved them wrong here.

Does "Madness" compare to other Muse material? No, it doesn't in any way. However, that doesn't mean that it isn't good. It is actually very good. It's just way to different from any other Muse songs to even compare them. I am a true Muse fan, and I can say that I love the newest Muse material, including "Unsustainable". And this just goes to show how diverse Muse can be. That's really what they are trying to accomplish with "The 2nd Law", and I like it.

AuraFX
    Liked it. Be crap if every album was just the same 'epic song, fast song, single, ballad formula' - even with all the fx and digital tweaks Muse are still Muse, and they at least try a few little things to make the songs different. This is quite a clever single, going more and more retro but with a few modern bits in to confuse the issue. So you have a complete U2 covering Queen aspect that Matt loves as he likes his classic rock bombast stadium tongue-in-cheek stuff - but then they have a few dubstep bass wobbles to show that they're still under 45 and have heard music from the outside their usual sphere. In a lot of bands that sort of mix would just sound like a desperate attempt to fuse something old and new to be 'cool' but Muse at least are aware they are so uncool it's gone full circle again, so they probably did this for the hell of it. I admire that in a band, given most rock/pop bands these days are so desperate to pretend they are the only in thing.
    withoutanyname
    Muse is always releasing a single that isn't representative of the album itself. Supermassive Black Hole for BH&R and Undisclosed Desires for The Resistance were R&B/pop-oriented and had no particular links with the rest of the album they were in. I'm sure it'll be the same thing for The 2nd Law.
    dono91
    not sure why StackedTuna's review was so helpful; in the "Sound" section, he only spends one sentence talking about the actual sound.....