Madness review by Muse

• Released: Aug 20, 2012
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Muse: Madness

The sound of "Madness" is a complete departure from anything else Muse has released before. The opening introduces a sample of "m-m-m-m-m-mad-mad-mad" layered over a filtered, squishy sounding electronic loop. As Bellamy's voice comes in, it is more reminiscent of a Queen song or U2. This essentially follows traditional song format going into an outro that just reinforces the U2 comparisons. With "The Resistance" we saw a more prominent move towards a Queen/U2 sound but with this single it is even more pronounced.

The lyrics are a standard Bellamy love laced affair. Bordering on cheesy and uninspired, there is nothing here that stands out. As a singer, Bellamy is already established as having a good voice and in "Madness" he tones back the sometimes overbearing falsetto non-sense with his stronger chest voice.

It will most likely upset core Muse fans, and also possibly appeal to previous non-Muse fans. As a diehard fan of Muse during their "Origin Of Symmetry" and "Absolution" days, I have to say I am disappointing in what they have released thus far from their new album. Out of their 13 tracks coming out, I can already say I don't enjoy 3 of them which include: "The 2nd Law: Unsustainable", "Survival", and now "Madness". I am open to bands experimenting with new sounds and styles, however I don't believe this to be the Muse I know so well that used to be fusing the likes of Rachmaninoff and Bach with traditional rock.

JoachimR
    I love listening to this song while riding the bus or something, it's just so damn calming and nice to listen to. And the ending moves me every time. Beautiful song. Really stoked to listen to the full album!
    guitarjamz1456
    In my opinion Muse has lost its brilliance. As there new songs are going into a horrible messy noise with pointless over the top,drum and bass.I wish they would go back to their old days with songs like:Feeling good, Super massive black hole, starlight ETC. From albums like: Absolution, Origin of symmetry and Black holes and revelations.
    XxBombpokerxX
    Muse is a cool band. They have very innovative ways of creating music and they like to try new things. Yall don't have to act like idiots and be all rude towards them if something doesn't sound right. It's all just part of the process in which a band makes music that everyone will love.
    Bryan2
    "6 comments posted, 9 removed | this article is 40% spam-free" that sounds like more comments have been removed than posted, so theres now negative 3 comments on this review.