Origin Of Symmetry review by Muse

• Released: Jun 18, 2001
Muse: Origin Of Symmetry

I know this album is pretty old, but since I live in Canada, this CD was never released over here. I had to go through a lot of irritating stuff to get this CD, and let me tell you, it was worth it. Every penny. Every postage stamp. Because, quite simply, this is an amazing record. If you've heard Muse's other two studio CDs, Showbiz and Absolution, Origin has a very different sound then these two, but still manages to be completely Muse. Showbiz had the slow Jeff Buckley songs and the Radiohead-esque riffs, Absolution has it's almost cinematic, grand arrangement, and Origin of Symmetry. Well, there's no real label to describe that one. I'll try to sum it up with a few well-place analogies. Origin of Symmetry is what a cool astronaut listens to in space. Origin of Symmetry is what a neon blue-haired guitar fanatic plays through in order to impress his girlfriend. Origin of Symmetry is pure sci-fi, pure experimental noodling, pure ass-kicking musicanship, and pure genius.

The lyrics are just as well-written as Muse's other albums. There are dark lyrics, like in Plug in Baby's "crucifies my enemies when I'm tired of living", and the mellow sadness of "All the scars on your skin post no bills" in Screenager. Citizen Erased laments a lost love at the end of the thunderous song. "Wash me away, clean your body of me, erase all the memories, they'll only bring us pain..." Such words can be irritating spouting from the mouth of an overhyped emo god, but from Matt Bellamy, they're hauntingly beautiful.

I think I've said enough, thank you!