Origin Of Symmetry review by Muse

• Released: Jun 18, 2001
  • Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Muse: Origin Of Symmetry

I am sure you all know that some albums grow on you after a while. You do not like them initially, but you end up loving them. To me, this album has been the exact opposite of that. Being a Radiohead fan, I initially slightly liked this band. The epic feel, the intensity: almost pleasant. After listening to it for a while, however, I realized Muse doesn't just sound like Radiohead. No, Muse's sound is a blatant over the top rip-off of Radiohead's, a sound which Muse fans try to pass off as "unique", "original", "innovative". The instrumental skills of the band members are okay (But not good.), but all the songs sound the same after a while. Boring.

The lyrics are awful. Ridiculous and immature. It's something a 12 or 13 year old would write, except sometimes with slightly fancier words. Here's an example: "You'll make us want to die/ I'd cut your name in my heart/ We'll destroy this world for you/ I know you want me to feel your pain". None of it really makes any sense anyway. And the singing? It's not singing, it's wailing. Wailing, wailing, and then some more wailing. Abysmal.

This is not a good album. Or an original one. It is, however, very, very overrated, but nontheless a small curiosity through its extreme pretentiousness. Best to spend your money on something else, if you ask me. Unless boring Radiohead rip-offs are your kind of thing. I do like two songs on the album: "Bliss" and "Plug In Baby." But not too much. They have the same flaws as all the other songs on the album. If the album was stolen, I would pity the thief for not stealing something better. There is no way anyone can steal it, though, I am giving it away to one of my musically inept friends.