Origin Of Symmetry review by Muse

• Released: Jun 18, 2001
Muse: Origin Of Symmetry

I first got into Muse from listening to the Absolution CD. I loved thier sound there- so diverse and unique from any other band. Then I listened to Origin of Symmetry, and I was completely blown away. The whole album is so heavy without being 'too' heavy. I found myself getting into the music so much as I listened- wanting to be at a gig jumping up and down to some of the best songs I had ever heard. There is such a range of sounds on the album that almost any taste is catered for (although I know Muse aren't deliberately trying to appeal to everybody to be popular). What most impressed me about the album is the passion and feeling that flows through it. Songs such as Bliss, Citizen Erased and Megalomania just ooze emotion, and this makes the album so powerful. Almost every song is immense. 01. New Born - starts off with the almost 'upbeat' piano riff, then stops. What ensues is Muse at their very best, a huge riff full of distortion which builds up with the drums and bass to form what is in my opinion the heaviest riff Muse have ever written. Topped off with a fantastic chorus, it's hard to believe that the album does get better than this. 02. Bliss - after the carnage that is New Born, BLiss begins with one of the most hainting and beautiful pieces ever put to piano. A really heavy but not metal song, the chrorus is full of emotion and the whole song is nicely topped off with the haunting riff sounding even more beautiful at the very end of the song as it slowly fades away. 03. Into Space Dementia - again, the piano is haunting, and it's hard to believe that a song so heavy can be written using only piano, drums and bass. The best part of the song is the outro with features Muse in one of their most prog rock phases. 04. Hyper Music - a good riff, fantastic chorus, the lyrics make it! I'll explain later. A really upbeat song but far from happpy. 05. Plug In Baby - the song that probably made Muse big, a great pop riff with an epic chorus that actually makes me want to shout along. The clearest demonstration that Muse are at their best when it comes to writing a chorus. 06. Citizen Erased - my favourite Muse song of all time. Everbody in the world should listen to it. Rawking guitar at the start, then the drums and bass come in, making the song one of Muse's heaviest. But it doesnt't stop the song from having one of the kost deeply affecting and emotional piano outro's I've ever listened to. This song has it all. Immense. 6 minutes of excellence. 07. Micro Cuts - an amazing song, huge chorus, then the best Muse outro ever. A really heavy riff to rival new born. Really nice work on the guitar intro/verse too. 08. Screenager - I really don't like this song. I think it's great for showing how diverse Muse can be, but it just doesnt't appeal to me. A bit too boring really, but it's still an okay song. I tend to skip it when listening to the CD though. 09. Darkshines - an okay song until the chorus, which is good, but not great. Not a favoutrite of mine though I do like to listen to it every now and then. 10. Feeling Good - classic cover done jusctice, but even though it's a great song, and I really relaly loved it live, it's just not brilliant. Innovative and original though. 11. Megalomania - oh my god. After a couple of songs of, moderate quality, Megalomania just raped me. The intro is scary, dark and unnerving. The verse is really good, weird lyrics, but still good, it kind of stays at a steady pace, which makes the chorus all the more unexpected. Then, silence for a moment. Then the most amazing, dramatic ott but fantastic organ/drum/bass part comes in. It wouldn't sound out of place in a royal orchestra. The chorus builds, builds and builds, with the best lyrics on the album, again I'll explain later. One of the very best song muse have written that ends on an immense high. The album is immense, only brought down slightly by 'filler' songs like dark shines and screenager.

Well, this album has some of my very favourite lyrcis of all time, so quite good really. Here are my favourite lyrics from each song then you see what you think of them.

I think this is Muses best album. Some let down songs are more than nmade up for by the sheer quality of the other tracks, the besat oepening six tracks of any album ever. The most impressive songs are New Born, Bliss, SPace Dementia, Plug in baby, Citizen Erased, Micro Cuts and Megalmania. I love the lyrics, oringinaltiy and heavy without being metal feel. I really hate the short lapse of screenager through to feeling good. I would definitely buy this album again.

Dead__Star
    This album is pretty much flawless. I'm not sure why everyone must compare it to radiohead?
    frankibo
    the joint hatred of sinder velvin is beautiful. seriously, its like music to my ears. but anyone who says muse are untalented is an idiot. even if you don't like them you cant say that they're untalented cause thats just a lie. muse are awesome, awesome album and sinder velvin you are a W A N K E R and lol to picko-waahwaah
    Picko-waahwaah
    i agree with everyone, except that guy who gives it anally to radiohead. 'Bliss', 'Citizen Erased' and 'Micro Cuts' are the best in my opinion. A top mark album
    Paul Lambeth
    The guy who said "Absolution" shows Muse's talent really should actually listen to the songs. Even if you don't particularly like the piano sections, or the dramatic songs such as Citizen Erased, try playing them? Near impossible unless you happen to be Grade 12+ at piano, guitar and vocals, which Matt is obviously.
    h3llang3l
    Meh, Radiohead > Muse (just) but i still think Sinder Velvin is talking out his arse. How can anything Muse do be bad? IF its anything like absolution at all then its good Still to listen to this album, getting it soon, cant wait!