Showbiz review by Muse

• Released: Oct 4, 1999
Muse: Showbiz

The first full-length offering from what is probably the best band I've had a chance to hear, brings to us the sound that is now regarded as classic Muse fans came to know and love. This is one band that just can't be pigeon-holed: literally EVERY song is different. You will find classical and tango influences, there's-no-tomorrow monster riffs, ballads, weird sounds a la Tom Morello, piano licks, blues - this album has it all. Backed up by Dominic Howard on drums, and Chris Wolstenholme on bass, this juggernaught will weld itself permanently in your cd player.

Matthew Bellamy - the band's frontman/lead guitarist/singer/piano player/songwriter and musical god and whatever else - I've lost count - addresses maybe familiar themes. But the difference between Bellamy and a lot of typical lyrics about love or death, is that Bellamy's efforts ar far more artistic, deep and clever. The guy's a genius, whether you like him or not. Whatever the topic, the lyrics and the music always go hand-in-hand, and for the debut album this is certainly most impressive.

As I said earlier on in the review, Muse can't really be pigeonholed. And although some have compared them to Radiohead and the like, once you listen to this record and all the subsequent efforts of theirs, it is obvious they are a unique ensemble. Muse are a tight unit with imaginative and clever songwriting, outstanding musicianship, and a must-own for any music fan. Maybe it's not my favourite album by the band, but when they allow to vote 6, I'll review the rest. Brilliant.