Showbiz review by Muse

• Released: Oct 4, 1999
Muse: Showbiz

Muse use a great combination of piano and guitar, along with effects etc., in this album, making it great to listen to. The piano is used for 'Sunburn' but a guitar comes in for the chorus, along with bass, making the song varied and very good. This CD ranges from quite rocking songs, such as 'Fillip', to slightly slower less energised songs, such as 'Falling Down'. Not necessarily their best album, but it's still a heck of a lot better than many other albums.

The lyrics on this album are fantastically written and, once again, Muse have created lyrics to suit the mood of the music. There is a slightly strange song, however, 'Cave' in which Matt Bellamy tells us to "come in my cave," a bit strange, but nontheless, a great song. Many people may say that Muse are depressing, but they are certainly not. The most "depressing" song on this album is 'Falling Down' which mentions "5000 houses burning down", but the song has a great little guitar part to it, and it really isn't as depressing as it may seem upon first listen.

Muse cannot be compared to any other artists as they are so individual, it's just Muse, and nothing but. My favourite songs on this album are: Sunburn, Muscle Museum, Fillip and Uno. These are songs that have been written incredibley well and I never get bored of listening to them, in fact, the whole album never gets boring, unlike most albums. I'd buy this album again because it is so well written and is such a good album, and I love the way that Muse take Matt Bellamy's Piano and Guitar skills and mix them together in one album.

Paul Lambeth
    I'm embarassed to say this was the last of their album's I heard, probably because it's the most amazing collection of raw tone and effects Muse have made. It rivals and at points beats their newer stuff.