Survival review by Muse

• Released: Jun 27, 2012
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Muse: Survival

Muse have just released "Survival", a 5 minute epic for the London Olympics full of classical music, choirs, guitar solos and Matt's falsetto voice. The first time I heard it I thought it was weird. It just seemed filled with so many types of music. When I listened to it for the second time, I was definitely more drawn to it.

There's a prelude before the song, which is a typical Muse classical piece. It's very reminiscent of the "Exogenesis Symphony". After the prelude, a lively piano is introduced, which reminded me of "I Belong To You" at first. It's very catchy to be honest and I actually quite like it. The verse soon kicks in, with Matt singing in a very hushed tone. I don't really like some of the lyrics, there is the very cheesy "I'm gonna win" which I thought was only there for the Olympic feel. Halfway through the verse, Chris (I believe) comes in with very Queen-esque backing vocals, which I think is a nice touch. The song starts to build up with Matt's vocals getting edgier and a choir in the background. The song then really starts to kick in. A pounding distortion guitar breaks through, Matt plays a great solo with the choir still backing the track. The cheesy lyrics come back again "It's a race, I'm gonna win" but this time with more power. After more build up, Matt unleashes his classic falsetto voice which breaks into an amazing break filled with heavy guitars, pounding bass, more crazy solo's before ending with one more falsetto.

I didn't really like the song at first, and I still think it's pretty wacky, but it suits the Olympics well and I really like the ending to the song. It'll be an interesting song when performed live as well; I think the guitar will have more of a place in a live performance. "Survival" is a good song, but at times it seems like an over generic Olympic track with strong hints of Queen. I still look forward to "The 2nd Law" and I'm sure "Survival" will keep growing on me.

manicmuso
    I totally agree, the lyrics are pure cheese but they suit the olympics down to the ground. He was hardly gonna be singing about conspiracy theories and Aliens. The music will suit the event perfectly and it's good to see that Muse will be representing Britian rather than Elbow or Coldplay...
    LeakyFlask
    Ah, that logo! Do Muse know they have Lisa Simpson giving head on one of their single covers?
    BjarnedeGraaf
    this is exactly how i felt about the song... its not their best work, but its good enough for me.
    Kueller917
    Tunaman008 wrote: If you think you can do better - go ahead, write a song and let's see how good it is.
    You know the argument isn't that we could write something better, it's that the band could definitely write something better. But at the same time...
    Felkara wrote: Am I the only one who thinks that this song is just Matt Bellamy trolling everyone?
    This. I feel like the whole thing is just the band throwing every theatric possible for an Olympics song. It's definitely not so bad if you have fun with it and don't take it seriously.
    Felkara
    Jasonbts
    Tunaman008
    Yes, this is an awesome song (imo). I don't know why some people are hatin' on it. If you think you can do better - go ahead, write a song and let's see how good it is.
    LeakyFlask
    Jasonbts wrote: Great song. I also thought "Queen" when I first heard it and still do. In many ways Muse is the modern day Queen. Love it.
    I don't know about them being a modern day Queen. Queen had a much lighter touch to many of their songs, think Bicycle Race, Don't Stop Me Now etc.
    GuitarDomen
    In my opinion, this song is great. I just love the violins and the piano line. It works for me.
    StackedTuna
    Hey, this is my review, could guy guys maybe check out this blog? www.shavedtuna.wordpress.com Cheers
    Stormfish
    Sorry but as a Muse fan whos seen them live twice, this is a very poor caricature of themselves and sums up how lost (excused as experimental) they have gotten in the past few years.
    FlyingPirahna
    Tunaman008 wrote:If you think you can do better - go ahead, write a song and let's see how good it is.
    Sorry, you don't have to be able to do something to be able to critique something. And I agree with you Stormfish - even the Resistance had the quality to it, imo. They're kind of just turning into an over the top parody of themselves.
    JoachimR
    I think the song's great. Not taking it too seriously as it is written for the olympics, but it's quite heavy and it's got a nice groove and I like the guitars. Lyrics suck of course but come on, it's written for the olympics, olympics suck.