The Resistance review by Muse

• Released: Sep 14, 2009
Muse: The Resistance

Muse take on this album from a completley different perspective. They are the producers, making an album under frontman Matt Bellamys house in Italy. There are absolutley no restrictions. They could make this album perfect, and they did everything to make sure it did. We were treated to videos the likes of the band clicking into a microphone in a toilet, or drummer Dom recording a snare drum in a field of sheep. Previously, Muse have only used strings in a couple of songs, ('City of Delusion' to name one), but there is a very prominant string section on The Reststance, completely arranged by Matt. Whether its the soothing violins at the begining of United States of Eurasia, the epic riff later in the song, or any part of Exogenesis, the 12 minute prog-rock symphony, they all fit in perfectly. Something else that has always been constant in Muse songs is the presence of piano or guitar. Not anymore. Undisclosed Desires is not only full of keyboard and synth, but brings slap bass and the keytar back into the mainstream. But the lack of these instruments is not missed as the layered vocals and general epicness of the song assures that thiss will be a future hit. Huge riffs in MK Ultra and Unnatural Selection reassure guitarists that there will be something to tinkle with for a while and go crazy with, whilst gig-goers are assured that the tour is going to be a ball. Piano in I Belong To You and USoE suggests we will be seeing Matt getting busy behind the keys. However, there one thing that, in my opinion, let the album down. Guiding Light. Its plain, simple and cheesey. I just don't like it at all. It isnt as if it is barely listenable, in fact, there is a breath taking guitar solo, but thats is. Inspirational lyrics sure, but it's basically Invincible II.

As we would expect from Muse, they have created an album full of conspiracy and crazy themes. Uprising is about the banking crisis, ('They will not force us. They will stop degrading us'), United States of Eurasia is about Europe and Aisa uniting to start war, ('These wars, they can't be one. Does anyone know or care how they begun?'), MK Ultra is about CIA mind-control systems,(Invisible to all. The mind becomes a wall. All of history deleted with one stroke.') But the strangest is one of the weirdest things I have ever heard. Exogenesis is about humans being sent from a doomed planet, and now we must do the same as we are a doomed planet, ('Spread, our codes to the stars. You must rescue us all' 'Let's start over again.') But even Bellamy's French verse in I Belong To You is beautiful and compliments the piano perfectly. To the releif of most Muse fans, Matts falsetto has returned, (Uprising, USoE and Exogenesis.) Chris' backing vocals can be heard alot more than on previous albums which sounds great and a change to Bellamy's voice being overlayed time and time again.

If you ask a Muse fan what there favourite album is, they will probably say Origin of Symmetry, and I would agree. Muse at the peak of craziness, full of riffs and passion. But I would say The Resistance is right up there with Absolution for second place. Exogenesis aside, I was most impressed with MK Ultra, Unnatural Selection and Resistance. Although, as you already know, my least favourite song on the album in Guiding Light. If you have to listen to one song on the album, and you have the time, Exogenesis is one of the greatest compositions modern rock has produced. Muse have certainly outdone themselves. Viva La Resistance!

Metallicaloveu
    I love the album but the case is simply rubbish. I'm cool with the new style cardboard cases but this one is silly, just too thin and flimsy. To top it all it's slighty wider and doesnt fit in my cd rack! But the quality of music is sublime!