The Resistance review by Muse

• Released: Sep 14, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Muse: The Resistance

When I first bought The Resistance, I instantly regretted buying it even before listening to it. I knew it wasn't going to as good as Absolution, or origin of symmetry. It's going to be a dissapointing mainstream attempt from very talented musicians who are slightly confused about what genre they are. Oh, how wrong I was. and a bit right actually. Some songs on it like: Guiding Light and the french one, are poor. Very poor. One sounds like a weird jazz record and the other one sounds like a christmas song. But unddisclosed desires and uprising, are good. Nice tunes. United States Of Eurasia isnt that bad, its just a bit too queen influenced. All the other songs are great, but one song is probably their best guitar songs ever. Unnatrual selection. Amazing riff and a proggressive song structure, make this GENIUS!

Like every muse album the lyrics don't make sense. Or am I too stupid to understand them? I don't know what there about, and if I did I would probably in university right now studying a really hard version of maths. Or just maths. Matt Bellamy is still as good as he will ever be, and his style really goes with the music. Overall, its a nice effort but not so good on lyrics. But who cares about lyrics anyway? No-one listens to them. Or is it just me? hmm...

Its not as good as most muse albums, but its better than Black holes and revelations. some songs like Uprising and Unnatrual Selection are very good and are on my list of most listened to songs on my entire libary. They are that good. The rest of the album is quite dissapointing, and the last 3 songs on it have got 5 stars on some reviews, but really, they're only good if you like classical music. I quite like them, but you need a taste for classical. Their isnt much to love about this album, but there's a lot to hate. there's too many mainstream attempts. Guiding Light is abismal, and he french one doesnt't make sense. One thing I do love is Unnatrual Selection, which is one song I will love for a long time. The other songs are a bit average or just above average. Overall, this album is good with some down sides. Personaly, I think they tried too hard to make themselves global superstars. I kind of hope they make it. They still ahve a very strong fanbase in the uk and a growing following in america. Well done Muse, You've done it again. Just do something like Absolution next time, OK?

FearOfTheDuck
    All Muse sounds the same, Matt Belamy gets on my nerves... The riff at the end of knights of cydonia is bad ass though, i'll give them that.
    Mike_Atherton
    I was quite dissapointed with this album uprising, united states of eurasia and exogensis r the best songs, the rest just dint do anything for me particualry resistance and you belong to me they were annoyingly catchy
    Rock'n'Roller
    This album didn't really do much for me in honesty certainly not their best and I expected the symphony to be a lot more complex than it was, but I still enjoyed in one of the highlights i'd say but my least favourite album I'd say
    Arterial
    At the beginning, I didnt really like the album as well, I saw it as too mainstream. But then I found out the album was inspired by George Orwell's 1984, and after that, it opened a whole new light to me... this album is beautiful.
    Jondy
    Well I guess to a big Muse fan putting a symphony on your album seems original, but to a big metal fan it seems run of the mill, and I personally thought Muse's take on it was downright boring. Maybe I just don't care for Muse enough to like this album. I liked... not loved but liked... some of their previous stuff, and when I heard they were making a symphony, I was excited because I love symphonic rock. First of all stop calling it a symphony. It's just standard Muse sound that just happens to have orchestral sounds behind it. It's just not anything special at all. It sounds like anything else by Muse, just that it has orchestral sounds backing it. But. then again. Maybe I just don't care for Muse and to a Muse fan maybe it was AMAZING.
    ndschroede23
    [sorry for the double post, messed up the first one, ignore it]
    Deus Panico wrote: I laugh at you hardcore muse fans who adore this album, even comparing one song of it to Timbaland. Very funny. ZeGuitarist, that was MY opinion. I don't like this album. No need to be offended.
    If you're laughing at us, aren't we supposed to get offended? Isn't that the point of laughing at people?
    ilejak1
    I just love the album, I regularly don't buy cd's unless I love them, I just buy them on iTunes. This one is in my CD collection. I just have to say, it's beautifully written with some minor exceptions. And about the Twilight thing , they're unfortunately thinking of putting Apocalypse Please and Hyper Music of let's keep out fingers crossed.
    roksta101
    people hated on this album too much, again making the mistake of putting a band in a box. i find this album amazing. people are comparing it to their earlier works but one cannot because they have grown alot and matured in their music and it definately comes through. no longer the bluntly passionate aggressive songs, but they have transformed and can use their aggression and put it into songs in a more controlled, mature way. i found it surprisingly progressive, with contrasting breaks and reprises, but nevertheless brilliant. would have like more development of the symphony parts at the end...they are great and he could have done much more with the themes. all in all MUSE still rocks
    TheTazMonkey
    i absolutely love this album, i dont know how they're gonna top it with the next one but, guiding light is a bit of a let down except the solo, and exogenesis part 1 is a bit odd but uprising, resistance, undisclosed desires, united states of eurasia, unnatural selection, mk ultra, i belong to you, exogenesis 2 and 3... all 5 stars easily. and the album art aint too shabby either!
    Serjem
    i'm going to write a review as soon as i have some time to dig into it... but teh 1st impression was awsum.
    Boomjosh
    I must admit im afraid i disagree with the most of you, i am a huge muse fan and dont get me wrong the album isnt bad, but it is certainly not muses best stuff, far from. i find the orchestral peces really quite poor too, there are so many better classical pieces out there and if he was going to write classical he should be compared with simular pieces.
    ZeGuitarist
    Deus Panico wrote: Oh now i see how come so many posts regarding Muse are deleted. Since this mod is clearly a fanboy...
    I deleted one post of yours. It said "this album sucks". Hardly any constructive, is it? I deleted it for being spam, not for being an opinion I disagree with. If I did that, I would have deleted your other post as well. Also, don't call me out.
    Deus Panico wrote: ZeGuitarist, that was MY opinion. I don't like this album. No need to be offended.
    Why would I be offended? You didn't like this album and stated your reasons, I do like the album and posted why I didn't agree with your reasons. It's how arguments work.
    Deus Panico wrote: Amusing how some people are willing to totally change their music taste just so this album fits in.
    Music evolves, so do music tastes. As it happens I have a very broad taste in music anyway, and so do a lot of people, so your argument holds no ground whatsoever.
    Deus Panico wrote: One more thing, ZeGuitarist: you should use your super-mod cyber-powers to change the overall rating to 10 as well. It would make everyone very happy and clapping and whatever.
    Protip: when you fail to produce retorts to someone's arguments, do not resort to attacking him personally.
    Deus Panico
    Oh now i see how come so many posts regarding Muse are deleted. Since this mod is clearly a fanboy... ZeGuitarist, that was MY opinion. I don't like this album. No need to be offended. Amusing how some people are willing to totally change their music taste just so this album fits in.
    Rokkec
    Indeed...The more time an album has to grow on you, the more time you`ll appreciate and enjoy it..instant catchiness is usually well put together with being tired of it in the long term.. All in all..I enjoy this album a lot more than I did a week ago..I just accept it for what it is and embrace it..it`s even better now when you shuffle the new Muse with the old Muse and get an experience to please your every mood and feeling..=P
    Spaz91
    Deus Panico
    Ok this album doesn't suck. And by refusing to suck, it is clearly the worst album ever. As someone said somewhere in UG, The Resistance may be the best Queen album ever. But it is also the worst Muse album ever. No guitar riffs, too much synths, plain melodies.. The three part EPIX song is the most boring thing ever. I laugh at you hardcore muse fans who adore this album, even comparing one song of it to Timbaland. Very funny.
    DroogieSteve
    Muse were the only popular band I liked because they were odd and experimental. This album was wall-to-wall risk-free pop. "so COME ON!" Crap
    IAmRenegade
    I have to say that I did enjoy this album a great deal. But I've found that most of the reviews are overshooting quotes from Muse altogether! I bought the album through iTunes and with it came "iTunes LP : The Resistance" which is an iTunes-only album-associated program that was Matt's quotes and inspireations for each song and his view of the album. Reading all his quotes and watching the "In the making of..." section showed me many things fans, critiques and reviewers are missing. For example, many people are disliking "Undisclosed Desires" because it simply "doesn't sound like Muse" or it "isn't Muse-worthy." First of all, all the songs are in fact Muse-worthy because, well, they are all made by Muse!!! That aside, Matt says the song comes from experimenting with contemporary RNB sounds, and sampling from David Bowie's Ashes To Ashes album. "Resistance", quote "an extension of "Map of the Problematique" with a bit of influence by early "The Police". It is very much based on the love story from the book "1984" by George Orwell, particularly the romance between Winston and Julia..." "Guiding Light" "This track is about a troubled relationship and is influenced by 1980's cheesey stadium rock!" quote Matt. I think the "Exogenesis" symphonies were all pure musical genious. However, Matt views them as expression to the concept of "Panspermia", or when humanity starts to end and astronauts travel into space to find another home for the wayward humans. "Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 1 (Overture)" Matt quotes "The jaded acceptance that civilization will end." "Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 2 (Cross-pollination)" Matt quotes "A desperate hope that sending astronauts to find and populate other plantes will be successful alongside the recognition that this is the last hope." "Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 3 (Redemption)" Matt quotes "The astronauts realize that it is one big cycle and recognize that unless humanity can change, it will happen all over again." Not giving Muse, a very hard-working group, their due and taking their view on their music should be a crime. "Exogenesis" means "beginning from outside." The album art is the Earth centered, surrounded by a spherical shape embedded with colored hexagons, some missing, with stars in the background. A section of the bottom of the spherical pattern is broken away to make way for and orange pathway that leads to the Earth with a man standing on the mid-bottom of the pathway. This is said to symbolize panspermia, exogenesis symphonies, and the "space shuttle earth" concept. I feel Muse has revolutionized the musical world once more with Part 1's HUGE orchestral arpeggio's and Uprising's powerful drum progressions, Chris' killer bass lines and Matt's screaming guiotar solos all make this one great album. I love the theme of the album as well. "Exogenesis", "Panspermia", "Space-Shuttle Earth" all bond together with some french musical opera in "I Belong To You" and agressive love stories derived from great authors and song writers and Europe's finest. Influences of "Pink Floyd", "David Bowie", "Rachmaninov", "Chopin", "Richard Strauss" and "Ravel Tchaikovsky." Muse really dug deep in mixing with old and famous European culture on this album along with their views on humanity at it's bitter end. Definetly one of my top favorite albums. Hell, "Undisclosed Desires" and "Guiding Light" are two of my favorite songs now. Good fans love all a bands music. But that's what I think. What kind of fan looks at an album a band spent countless hours on and says "crap, crap, crap, crap, BIG piece of crap, crap..." Not a good one.
    skuldugery
    I LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!!! The first day it was out I went and bought it and I'm so glad I did! Great review. MUSE ARE AWESOME!
    Screamin' Eagle
    Im a pretty big muse fan and i must say i really dont think its a great album although i think Exogenesis: Symphony Part 1 (Overture) and Uprising are ****n awsome, Unnatural Selection starts off mint then gets boreing as does the rest of the album. Dont get me wrong though it doesnt change how i feel about the band cause their incredible live and extreamly talented but this album will never top the likes of Origin Of Symmetry.
    ndschroede23
    Glenn Beck likes it. (But then again, Muse asked him not to say he liked it. XD ) Take from that what you will.
    mattiwillohouse
    I love how Muse have evolved over the years. If they released Showbiz today it wouldn't sell. Not to say Showbiz isn't good, it's just they know you can't let the grass grow under your feet, you have to keep developing. Bellamy is the 'guitar hero' for the 21st century, as well as being a dab hand with the ivory keys! I'm currently learning the solo from Guiding Light, sounds ace! Well done again lads!
    Alkyan
    oh my god... This album is really bad ! Where are the rock spirit of the band?
    ZeGuitarist
    pingu45 wrote: nuthinbutachump wrote: dissapointed never thought that the band who made showbiz and origin would end up making an album like this well said. my fave review above is the 1 - 1 - 1 review
    How an abusive review like that even got approved is beyond me. All minimum scores, no text whatsoever? Seriously? I'll get that sorted out. Checked.
    pingu45
    well said. my fave review above is the 1 - 1 - 1 review
    nuthinbutachump
    acade365
    Spaz91 wrote: It was like a compilation of all the slow boring songs of their previous albums. No Hysteria or PIB in here...
    If you want to hear Hysteria or PIB, go and listen to them; dont you think that staying the same throughout albums would become really boring? Also, not all music has to be fast and heavy, you know?
    ZeGuitarist
    Deus Panico wrote: Ok this album doesn't suck. And by refusing to suck, it is clearly the worst album ever.
    What does that even mean?
    Deus Panico wrote: As someone said somewhere in UG, The Resistance may be the best Queen album ever.
    Yes, some parts of the album resembled Queen. But you conveniently ignored the remaining 95% of the album that sounds like Muse, simply to make that statement.
    Deus Panico wrote: But it is also the worst Muse album ever. No guitar riffs, too much synths, plain melodies..
    Since when is Muse music only good when there's lots of guitar and little synth in it? To me, good Muse isn't defined by heavy guitar driven music, but by originality and variation in style instead of sticking to their "comfort zone" sound forever, like some bands do. The Resistance was amazing in the sense that it opened a whole lot of new doors and windows to Muse's sound, again.
    Deus Panico wrote: The three part EPIX song is the most boring thing ever.
    Go listen to your br00tal metulz then, but let the people who can actually appreciate music that doesn't have heavily distorted guitar riffs smeared all over it, appreciate it.
    Undisclosed Desires sounds more Depeche Mode-ish IMO. I find the Timbaland connection silly as well, but what it has to do with the quality of the album, I fail to see. Checked.
    VoodooChild15
    A handful of good moments, but on the whole unremarkable and wholly forgettable. It sounded like they were more concerned with making an "epic" album than actually making epic songs.
    AwesomeDrummer
    I thought the biggest dissapointment on the album (excluding the decrease in Matt's falsetto) was United states of eurasia, it just didn't sound muse worthy at all in my opinion.
    bassthunder
    AreaMan wrote: I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought United States of Eurasia sounded like Bohemian Rhapsody.
    Dude, the only way you could not think it sounded like Bohemian Rhapsody is if you had never heard Bohemian Rhapsody before. And if you've never heard Bohemian Rhapsody, you've been actively avoiding music for the past 34 years.
    Illiad86
    This was a pretty terrible album to me...just didn't click like the rest of them. They just sound way too mainstream now with this one, lyrically and musically. It was just too generic...sounds like every song could get a chance on the radio.
    Equivalence
    denday831 wrote: so two chords are the same as queen ones, the whole of the chord sequence in a status quo song is the same as the last song they produced, so what, theyre a quality band. muse are great. only british band producing good music atm
    only proper british band atm? lol that's a bold statement don't you think? and regarding the album, I was disappointed as well. Especially the symphony at the end, I was expecting a lot from this but I thought it really got no further than very basic composing.
    Amuro Jay
    This album doesn't want to make me dance like their older albums did. But, there are still a few songs here that I really like, such as Undisclosed Desires and MK Ultra.
    OriginOfSymetry
    Excellent album - a nice fresh sound is always good. Not too fond of the title track or guiding light however. I find myself strangely attracted to undisclosed desires!
    denday831
    AreaMan
    Hair soup
    I really noticed on this album Matt Bellamy's lower, deeper vocals - he has really trained his voice since Revelations. Albums that feature innovative ideas and where the band tries new sounds impress me. Kudos to Muse for Exogenesis.
    caucasian_ninja
    I didn't really like this album. I thought I'd be listening to it nonstop when it came out, but I've only listened to it two or three times really. It's ok... just ok. The production value is great, but I don't know, all the songs just seem to lack some sort of spark that was there with their earlier stuff. And I don't mean I want them to go back to sounding just like they did on Origin of Symmetry, but I don't know, I just find the whole mix kind of bland. I guess my real qualm is with some of the lyrics. They sing about oppression and revolution so seriously, but I mean, come on... are you really that oppressed Bellamy? It's like how Rage Against the Machine sings about civil rights and such like our schools are still segregated or something. The lyrics Muse writes and the image their getting is more and more like Green Day is to Bush hating, just with internet conspiracy theories. I don't know, I just kind of find that whole thing irritating. I don't really like when bands get political. I do, however, like the songs The Resistance, Undisclosed Desires (I don't know really why I like that song; I just kind of do), and United States of Eurasia. I may like Uprising if it wasn't so few toned, and if the chorus wasn't so bland. I feel the lyrics are a little bit weak too. And the MK Ultra riff is cool, but everything else is kind of bland. Unnatural Selection is basically a remake of New Born, and I would like I belong to you, but I think that Matt's french singing sounds a little bit ridiculous, nowhere near as charming as somebody like Brian Molko singing in it. And as far as I'm concerned, the whole Exogenesis thing is kind of a fluke. I like the music in the first part, the rest is just Matt kind of pissing around on the piano. The lyrics are very weak too for such a "grand" piece. So I dunno, I'd personally give the album like a 6 out of ten. I saw Muse last night though (opening for U2), and I must say I'd give their live show, abbreviated as it was a 10 out of 10. They played Knights of Cydonia, Interlude, Hysteria, Supermassive Black Hole, Undisclosed Desires, Time is Running Out, Uprising, Starlight, and Plug in Baby. They sound so tight live, everyone is just spot on. Too bad I only saw them opening, and not their own headlining show...