Mutiny Within review by Mutiny Within

• Released: Feb 23, 2010
Mutiny Within: Mutiny Within

Mutiny Within's self-titled debut is densely packed with a lot of elements. Maybe that's because half the band hails from New Jersey, a fertile musical breeding ground and the other half hails from England. To call Mutiny Within a prog band isn't quite accurate, because it implies that the band is piping out noodly solos and displaying a flair for the dramatic. However, there are plenty of progressive elements on 10 song collection that must be acknowledged. Chunky riffs and complex layering of sounds populate this album, which means a Fates Warning fan will appreciate songs such as Awake or Year of Affliction as easily as a Testament or Shadows Fall fan would. There are plenty of impressive, showy riffs about two-and-a-half minutes into Images- but there is so much going on in every song that the album and your ears will be best served when listened to through headphones. There's no core, as in deathcore or metalcore, here at all; instead, Mutiny Within is a bit more forward-thinking and ultimately, risky, by foregoing barks and grunts in favor of a huge, melodic voice. We also like Falling Forever, which would please even the snootiest DragonForce fan with its bigness. And please note, we don't mean sounds like when we say that. It means there is some sort of music kinship that isn't exactly overt.

Vocalist Chris Clancy possesses a set of pipes that'll make you weep, if you want to be a singer that hits high notes. The singer could have a future outside of metal if he so chooses, but his work on Mutiny Within is stellar. He has soaring vocals, but never sounds overly flashy or look at me! in his delivery, as some progressively-minded vocalists tend to do. The album's vocals are about 75% clean, with some layered grows throughout, but for the most part, it's the Chris Clancy Clean Vocal Show, as his voice leaves a mark and fully complements the music that he sings over.

It might take a minute for Mutiny Within to find its audience, because the band is new and it's increasingly harder for new bands to connect with fickle music fans. But since metal fans are known for their loyalty and their hunger for new bands, once Mutiny Within are discovered, metalheads will be impressed by the scope of their sound. Sure, it's mostly clean vocals, which a lot of metal fans turn their noses up at, but that's the style that best fits the smartly constructed music. So growl-worshippers will likely hate this. However, it's ambitious, and therefore, we'd love to see what Mutiny Within does next. That said, if you like riffy displays and peaks-grazing vocals, give this a shot.

blueboxdoctor
    seeing them with sonata arctica in april, gonna be great. except the review wasn't that great. still, the band's worth checking out, and if you're obsessed with growling vocals then you probably need to open your mind to different musical stylings.
    EpiExplorer
    HoneyofRuin wrote: Sure, its mostly clean vocals, which a lot of metal fans turn their noses up at Uh, that statement makes it sound like metalheads only seem partial to throat-shredding, mucous-lobbing vocal performances. Anywho, gonna look into them.
    Shes confused with metalheads and teenagers who think they're metalheads.
    EpiExplorer
    Panasonic3 wrote: cool. like scar symmetry without the cheese. good review.
    But the cheese is tasty! D:
    knownasceejay
    I want to go, but school just had to be in the way didn't it?...
    shockdoctor92 wrote: i love these guys, ive been following them since roadrunner announced them being signed. chris is an amazing singer. i wana go see them this wed. at loony toons and get some autographs
    Amuro Jay
    Hah, I was planning on reviewing this. Slipped my mind. Good band, awesome debut.
    shockdoctor92
    CapnKickass
    ReynboLightning wrote: seen em with arch enemy.Definitely did not like the cleans at all.The best thing about this band was the leads but while they were playing the lead guitarist amp crapped out on the second song and they never got it working>.
    Dude I was there too! I forget what the vocals were like. The keyboards provide good technical difficulty background noise.
    Connah
    good band. my fav is undone on this disc! definently check this one out
    Astyan
    I have a very strong taste for Progressive Black and Death Metal, and 75% of the bands I currently listen to use low, evil and guttural growls (or high-pitched shrieks at times). And I actually enjoyed this band a lot. Thanks for the discovery. It's fast, punchy and the singer's performance is stellar. Not cheesy at all, more like really catchy, and some riffs are actually pretty good. It all blends together well and it's quite refreshing.
    HoneyofRuin
    Sure, its mostly clean vocals, which a lot of metal fans turn their noses up at
    knownasceejay
    pointblank922 wrote: knownasceejay wrote: Saw them perform with Machine Head in NY. They are a good metal band to check out if you are into very melodic vocals. when????? and how did i miss it?????
    It was a headlining show that Machine Head did at the Crazy Donkey. I think the Crazy Donkey is located in Farmingdale. Anyways, it was probably around October or November when they had the show. It was the only show they did in the U.S. and some of the other artists at the show besides Mutinty and MH were Thy Will Be Done (really good.) and...I forget the rest haha.
    ReynboLightning
    pointblank922
    when????? and how did i miss it?????
    flame843
    these guys were better back when they were a death metal band with Sam Paulicelli on drums.
    BurningEarth23
    A solid debut album in my opinion. They've got some great riffs and great melodies and the musicianship by all of the members is impressive. I'm a fan of growls and clean vocals so the cleans don't bother me. Definitely check this out if you get the chance to.
    crazysam23_Atax
    This was a very well done review! Top marks to Amy Sciarretto. After reading that, I definitely plan to check these guys out. I may even go buy their album!
    bassthunder
    I'm surprised the reviewer didn't mention the drummer. His beats are pretty monstrous, while keeping it creative.
    blueboxdoctor wrote: seeing them with sonata arctica in april, gonna be great.
    Cool! Me too.
    Jman09
    the first song i heard of em was "awake" i had to listen to it like fifty times, i love these guys great cleans he reminds of scar symmetry's old singer minus the growls of course.
    Deadly Chopstix
    ****ing A! i've been looking for good new band to listen to for a long time, they are great, thank you
    EpiExplorer
    Very Soilworkish. Quite good actually. 'Falling Forever' Sounded like a Savatage tribute, which was nice.
    knownasceejay
    Yeah, Chris is a very talented singer and knows how to display his singing well with the rest of the band. Im not really into melodic vocals, but this band's style certainly caught my attention at the show.
    Gumle
    Great band! I've always been into clean melodic vocals and his sound amazing.