At The Show review by MxPx

• Released: Jul 27, 1999
MxPx: At The Show

The sound is what MxPx has always been, a Punk-Pop band with almost every song being love-oriented but never losing their originallity and simple but catchy chord progressions. For some reason I have always seen MxPx labeled as "Christian punk," well, I haven't heard any song being punk and Christian-oriented (there is some contradiction there, but what the hell) at least made by MxPx, so don't take the "Christian" thing too serious. The recording is pretty well done, you can easily hear the bass, the guitar, the drums and Mike's voice clearly in all of the 22 songs, also it has been produced by Bill Stevenson, from my favorite band: The Descendents! This CD also includes a "bonus-track" (making it with 23 songs) called "KKK Took My Baby Away" that is an excellent cover made to The Ramone's song. The track listing includes well-known classics, like "Chick Magnet," "Punk Rawk Show," "Party, My House, Be There," "I'm OK, You're OK" and alot more.

Mike Herrera is one of the best song-writters around (at least for me). And knows very good how to express his emotions in the writing process and when singing. Also, is good to hear some fun songs on this album, like "Chick Magnet" or "Punk Rawk Show" that althought talk in some way about girls, it is not taken so serious like in other songs. The guitar, the bass, and the drums fit almost perfectly with all the songs and there are also some "little solos" in a few songs, like in "The Theme Fiasco", I love that bass!

This is the album that I will recommend to anyone that wants an "introduction" to MxPx, it includes all the styles that MxPx has done. My favorite songs off this album are "Party, My House, Be There," "Punk Rawk Show" and the bonus track "KKK Took My Baby Away" to name a few. The last one being an awasome cover of The Ramones. The track listing is very well chosen and I never got bothered listening to this CD over and over again (although I always skip GSF). The only thing I could hate is that "Responsibility" and "Play It Loud" which are my favorite songs are not included, but it's not their fault since they were not released yet by the time this concert was recorded (1995). If I lost it or if someone stole it from me, I'll definitley buy it again.