Before Everything & After review by MxPx

• Released: Sep 16, 2003
MxPx: Before Everything & After

Sounds very pop-like, even more so than their following pop-punk album Panic. Lots of background vocals are used. Acoustic guitars and keyboards become a part of the band's arsenal. I find the sound much more boring than MXPX's other albums, as it lacks the heavy guitar riffs and drumming. A comporable album is Blink-182's self titled album. Overall, not a great sound, but the keyboard puts in a nice affect in one of the songs.

Lyrics were good. They were profanity free, as MXPX is a Christian band. Most of the songs were about love and teenage life, as well as life in the music industry. The lyrics were sappy at times, but are probably the strong point of the album. Herrera has great vocals as usual.

This is MXPX's highest charting album, having hit 51 on the Billboard 200. But I think they called it Before Everything and After for a reason: All of their albums before and after it are better. Decent album, but having listened to at least portions of all of their other albums except The Ever Passing Moment(which I own but need to listen to) I can say that this is their worst studio album.