Before Everything & After Review

MxPx: Before Everything & After
Released: Sep 16, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk-Pop
Before Everything & After is a radio-friendly flameout that's sound-alike safe for a quick and easy sell.
 Lyrics: 8.4
 9.2
 8.8
 9.5
Before Everything & After Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 19, 2003

Sound: This cd has suddenly taken a change from the classic Mxpx style. I'm sure many people will say that Mxpx have "sold out", and judging by what Blink 182 did when people said they "sold out", Mxpx has indeed "sold out". But I love this cd. Partially because I think that so-called Pop punk is quite good unless it's Good Charlotte, but also because Mxpx has seemed to mature in their music quality quite a bit. The music combines superb riffs with quite a combination of different sounds. That being said, the main Mxpx sound, based on power chords, is still there. But that is what we all wanted. Many of the songs on this cd, such as "Well Adjusted" and "More Everything" sound good right a way, but one negative is that songs like "Kings of Hollywood" take more adjusting to. // 10

Lyrics: I like how the Mxpx singer has his own unique voice, which doesn't annoy the hell out of me like NFG and GC's whiny singers. It still has the tiny nasal congestion sound that most punkers have, but its leaning more towards Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day. That being said, however, some of the songs lyrics aren't moving in any way, such as "Well Adjusted", which doesn't seem to really have a point to it other than to sound good. However "You Make me, me" is quite an emotional song, and the balance is split about 50/50. If you wanted a Limp Bizkit rack up the swear words type cd, then these lyrics will disappoint you because they are a Christian rock band, and there is no swearing on the cd // 8

Overall Impression: If there was one album that I could compare it to, it would be Blink 182's "Enema of the State", with a harder grungier sound and no swearing. I loved the overall sound on most songs, and some of the lyrics got to me once I knew what they were. It's definately worth buying if you like the Pop-Punk scene, or even the Punk scene, but if you are one of those that hates "sell out" bands, then you probably don't want this. It is quite light compared to the other Mxpx cd's, but it is still quite good // 10

Before Everything & After Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2004

Sound: I thought this album was completly different from all the other albums MXPX has relased.It was still the same punk pop genre but it sounded completly different. The band had really improved on making music and came out with a strong finish. The guitar riffs were great and Mikes voice was the same as it has always been. Yuri did great on drums especially on Well Adjusted it had a catchy intro with the Drums. Another thing that made this album cool was the fact they got guest singers like Jordan from NFG and Benji from GC. It really added a cool effect to the songs. Overall I think this album is the best MXPX of all time. Not to say the others werent good but this one was diverse. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics from this album were great. They had a good message in every song. Even though they were sometimes confusing they were all great. The lyrics went from emotional like in Don't Walk Away to crazy In Well Adjusted. Mike did well on the singing. It was the same old mike we've been hearing for 11 years now. Overall the lyrics were great. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was definitely alot different from the other MXPX albums but it was cool. My favorite songs were Don't Walk Away, Well Adjusted,and Your Not Alone. They All had great sound and catchy lyrics. I really liked this album because they experimented with new sounds like acoustic guitars and not just playing power chords for every song but then i also missed the fact that every song wasn't made of power chords and that mike didnt have to sing as loud as he could to be heard over the music. I think this album is definetly worth buying if your into punk pop or punk but if your expecting the old mxpx sound I think you should be ready for something new. // 10

Before Everything & After Reviewed by: atticusquier182, on january 29, 2004

Sound: MxPx's new cd is definitely still the classic pop/punk MxPx sound, but their choices of guest artists is definitely not the best. about half the songs have guest vocals, including Kris Roe of the Ataris, Benji Madden of Good Charlotte (KILLKILLKILL!!!), and jordan whatever-his-last-name-is from New Found Glory, and the Halo Friendlies, who I've never heard of, but are the best guests on the cd. No really innovating sounds, but still a pretty good cd. i would suggest, if you want it, just borrow it from your local library and burn it. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are still the "o i lost the girl" or "damn she's a fine girl!" songs, no real deep stuff. They go very well with the music tho, and Mike (vocalist/bassist) really sings very well...when it's him nnot a guest. // 6

Overall Impression: It didn't come close to my personal favorite of theirs, The Everpassing Moment, but it was still worth the 10 bucks I paid for it. The best song is Play it loud, with the Halo Friendlies. If it was stolen, I'd prolly go for teenage politics instead, but still go with MxPx. Woot Tom rocks. // 8

Before Everything & After Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 01, 2006

Sound: Mxpx will never cease to impress me. The sound of this cd still remains the same but the whole mood to the CD is different. The songs seem to have a little more emotion in them. Instead of just nonstop punk rawk, a couple slower emotional songs are put in there such as quit your life and on the outs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album, like all the others are about wanting or losing a girl. But the lyrics are a little better than past, but still not perfect. It's nice how Mxpx doesn't have perfects lyrics but they still flow and sound very good. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is by far the best. It is even better than their new panic CD. Every song on this CD is great but first impressions will be play it loud and everything sucks when your gone. My personal favs are brokenhearted, on the outs, and youre not alone. I love this CD because the guitar happens to be very good but still easy to play. If this CD was stolen, I would go buy it again rite away. This CD is a must have. // 10

Before Everything & After Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 24, 2008

Sound: Sounds very pop-like, even more so than their following pop-punk album Panic. Lots of background vocals are used. Acoustic guitars and keyboards become a part of the band's arsenal. I find the sound much more boring than MXPX's other albums, as it lacks the heavy guitar riffs and drumming. A comporable album is Blink-182's self titled album. Overall, not a great sound, but the keyboard puts in a nice affect in one of the songs. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics were good. They were profanity free, as MXPX is a Christian band. Most of the songs were about love and teenage life, as well as life in the music industry. The lyrics were sappy at times, but are probably the strong point of the album. Herrera has great vocals as usual. // 9

Overall Impression: This is MXPX's highest charting album, having hit 51 on the Billboard 200. But I think they called it Before Everything and After for a reason: All of their albums before and after it are better. Decent album, but having listened to at least portions of all of their other albums except The Ever Passing Moment(which I own but need to listen to) I can say that this is their worst studio album. // 7

Comments