Punk Rawk Christmas review by MxPx

• Released: Dec 1, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
MxPx: Punk Rawk Christmas

Year after year Christmas fills the cold air with the same seasonal noises; chestnuts roasting, children laughing and the sound of dated compilation CDs being dusted off. Some of the classics, charming as they are, do not have infinite shelf life so people run the risk of having their cheer eroded over time by repetition death by Slade, if you will. But MxPx, everyone's 6th favourite pop-punk band, won't have that for one second! So what they've done is compiled the many Christmas tunes they've been supplying their fanclub with for years, and put them out there as one tidy, manageable powerchord injection. It's understandable to approach this with caution this is MxPx and there was every chance that putting the Christmas spirit on top of their own fluorescent cheeriness would result in so much happiness that a dramatic increase in fairy dust in our atmosphere would make the earth inhospitable. Luckily, they mostly stick to the right side of the line between feel-good and irritating, but the album's greatest moment comes from the one-two punch of It's Christmas And I'm Sick' and 2005', two numbers that have pretty sad undertones, all the while remaining intriguingly optimistic musically.

In fact, the overall lyrical content goes above and beyond what's expected from a Christmas album. Brand new track Punk Rawk Christmas' goes into surprisingly sentimental territory, covering the themes of friendship and overcoming adversity, whilst others tackle tales from the road and provide goodwill aplenty. There are songs about snowball fights and delectable Christmas zombies later on though, so don't worry, they've got all bases covered. Mike Herrera's likeable voice functions once again as a messenger for all these antics, causing no offence - the ear-rape that is Christmas Party' aside but harvesting few accolades, I'd imagine.

It's a given that writing about Christmas albums isn't my forte. It's not even my...mezzo forte, so giving Punk Rawk Christmas' the many listens it normally takes to churn out a review becomes pretty laborious; however, this holiday season you are unlikely to really need this compilation for more than a quick energy boost or a top-up to your Christmas spirit, so with that in mind it's a success. Short, snappy, catchy tunes all wearing Santa hats what more could you want? Nowt till next year, I suppose.

loudog93
    [quote] MxPx, everyones 6th favourite pop-punk band/quote] hahaha this part was great. I will check this out, but I am not going to purchase and album i can only listen to 1 month out of the year.
    loudog93
    1. the offspring 2. NOFX 3. Descendents (do they count as pop punk?) 4. Blink 5. Rancid
    Q1_17
    lol greenday was punk but now...blehh speechless sum41 jumps ALOT hehee blink ->do i need to say??? takinb back sunday ->> hell no
    acdcrocks31194
    My top five are: Blitzkid Rancid Green Day Blink 182 and this local band called Fahrenheit 514 that has recently broken up. look em up!! and if you haven't heard of blitzkid, they're absoloutely amazing, both in the studio and live.
    andrew_whiggum
    1. MxPx 2. 1039-Insomiac Green Day 3. The Guts 4. The Leftovers 5. The Queers
    guitarfreak222
    jay3213 wrote: Bamitchell wrote: Just out of curiosity...who is everyone's 1st-5th favorite pop punk band? Green day (new and old) The Living End The Misfits The Ramones and i dont have anymore
    Good list, but Green day are hardly punk anymore.
    ologist
    ihaterap69 wrote: Bamitchell wrote: Just out of curiosity...who is everyone's 1st-5th favorite pop punk band? blink green day new found glory sum 41 bowling for soup?
    Were the hell is Taking Back Sunday?!
    jay3213
    RockGuitar92
    It's funny seeing some of you getting mad about the bands when he picked pop punk bands. Not punk.
    mikko 9119
    i have lost so much interest in this band after Secret Weapon , but i'll give this a listen
    redsoxxplayer
    haha, gonoherpasyphilaids Mine would be 1.Blink-182 2.NOFX 3.Green Day 4.Offspring 5.Screeching Weasel
    mrretard
    mikko 9119 wrote: i have lost so much interest in this band after Secret Weapon, but i'll give this a listen
    what was wrong with secret weapon? i thought it was pretty good.
    mrretard
    i have lost so much interest in this band after Secret Weapon what was wrong with secret weapon.
    justinb904
    Delectable Christmas zombies? That's the first time I've herd those three words strung together like that.
    hairy-southpaw
    Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail.
    jannick
    Sex pistols? the marones? offspring? i agree with sum 41 and the early green day, though
    wannabe_punk
    i'd go for the offspring
    ihaterap69
    blink green day new found glory sum 41 bowling for soup?
    Ic3
    great cd , i have a lot of fun listening to it . well it's something special considering the classic songs . IMO you should check out a Santa cause(mix artist ) too
    J-rich777
    Cheesepuff wrote: my top 5 Blink 182 (hehehe...) All Time Low Sum 41 +44 Fall Out Boy
    Your fag fall out boy and all time low sickens me. they're most definitely not punk. Try again later. For me on the other hand would have to be 1.Rancid 2. NOFX 3. Blink-182 4. Early Green Day 5. Alkaline Trio