Secret Weapon review by MxPx

• Released: Jul 17, 2007
MxPx: Secret Weapon

I must say Mxpx really brought it this time. A great follow up to the IMO sub par job on panic. If you don't know Mxpx returned to their first label tooth and nail with their first producer Aaron Sprinkle (yes he did pokinatcha). Of course this album is very different from pokinatcha, yet in many ways the same. Mxpx brought their old self in the fact that most of their songs are much faster than the last couple of albums on A&M records and sideonedummy. But they brought a very melodic touch also.

I must say most of the lyrics were pretty good, but soome were kinda cheesy. The song Chop Shop is about a string of murders that happened in Bremerton Washington (their hommetown), "She shouldve paid him back last week for all the meth, That small voice told him axe her to death". Most of the lyrcs are well written though like angels, Bass so low, and secret weapon.

I believe this is at least 10x better than panic. My favorite song oof the album would be bass so low. It has a very modern rock element to it that isnt the normal mxpx style. Also Mike (bass) has a realy great bass guitar solo in there too (if ya didn't guess). I got the special edition version with the DVD which I would strongly advise paying the extra 5 bucks for. it's a 30 minute DVD that talks about the making of the record, and mxpx interaction with fans, and even some cool bonus stuff like you get to tour the bands apartment. I also got it signed by the band by a special offer and it came in a day early too. If it was stolen I would definately buy it again.

lifeinxgeneral
    'Secret Weapon' has to be one of my favorite albums of all time. My second favorite MxPx album. More guitar solos, amazing bass lines, and of course, great percussion. I disagree with what UG said about the track, 'Biting The Bullet (Is Bad for Business)'. Personally, I think it's one of their best songs. But I like some of the more "pop" sounding songs. 'Sad Sad Song' is incredible. 'Tightly Wound' is another great track, with back-up vocals from Good Charlotte's, Benji Madden. I highly suggest you buy this album. It strays away from their later sound on albums like 'Panic' and 'Before Everything & After' and almost seems to head back to the 'Pokinatcha' and 'Life In General' era. Go get it. You'll enjoy it!
    itry_itry
    Whens the last time NOFX came out with anything? MXPX keeps pumping out the great tunes.
    Pretty sure they released wolves in wolves clothing either early this year or late last year MXPX still ****ing rock hard Hope everybodys havn a good day
    Ididit
    bootyking69 wrote: gay!! nofx is better
    AndyVanHalen
    I remember listening to Life In General on cassette back in middle school... Gotta love this band. Good to see them back on Tooth & Nail Records as well.
    elcapitan1800
    Quality album from a good band. Kind of sounds like some of the songs off of the new Bad Religion cd.
    bTOMd
    thrash minded wrote: no they aint. lol. only song i know of MXPX is "sing it loud" gr8 track, but wouldn't buy an album.
    not saying theyre the greatest punk band but if thats the only song you've heard, that is one of their weakest songs off their weakest albums. Just letting you know
    thrash minded
    KoolAidMan888
    I have all of the MxPx Albums andi have to say this album is much diffrent and its good most Pop Punk bands in there later years go to a heavier and then come back to pop punk its like sum 41 they were pop punk then punk then hard rock now there back to Punk its al good im really happy to get this album