Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Nov 19, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
My Chemical Romance: Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys

So its been four years since MCR released an album and they are arguably one of the main bands that brought the "emo" style into the mainstream. Now I realize some people are going to say that statement isn't true but when you look at early MCR and your typical 15 year old emo kid you don't see much difference. I only mention this because this album is nothing like the previous ones released. Most of the fans who have been looking for every bit of information about this album already knew it was going to be a more poppy sound. Like most of them I was excited for this album. Nanana was released and you either loved it or hated it. Unfortunatly that song is the closest you will see to previous MCR with the exception of Save Yourself I'll Hold Them Back. In fact most of the songs are very slowed down which isn't typical coming from this artist. The music itself has been very simplified with Ray Toros solos barely making an impression. The problem with the actual sound of the music is I feel like its like a washed out japanese band (Theres even a japanese girl on Party Poison which is kind of a cool idea) Planetary Go sounds so much like When worlds collide I swear you could switch the lyrics and it would fit almost perfectly. It was stated this album would make the rest of their albums seem redundent and I would have something I would want to drive fast to. Well I got 4 maybe 5 songs that did that. The rest of the album is so dull I feel like I'm listening to a different band. However I did really like the Dr Death skits.

Gerards writing is as good as ever which you can see as a good thing. Personally I feel he is good about crafting a story within the songs and its easy to see how the songs relate to each other. There isn't really any mention of death to really be found here. What we have instead a post nuclear war theme about rebellion and fighting the "pigs". Danger Days was originally the title for Gerards 2nd comic series and while I think the concept is great for a comic book I don't think the concept works as well here. In the black parade I felt like I could really picture the charecters and their emotions and in TCFWR I could feel the loss and desire of revenge for the groom. The charecters are forgettable but there are still some very good one liners to be found here.

After finding MCR in 2002 back when I was in highschool and most of their current fans were in elementary school, I got two amazing albums, one album that was decent and set a trend for other bands to follow, and finally an album I wonder how well I will like once the new album feeling rubs off. It was said there was a different album that was scrapped in place for this one....I want to hear that one. If your reading this review you've pretty much made up your mind on what your going to think of this album and those who are going to like it are going to like it and those who aren't and going to flame it. But there is one other side to this album and that will be the live show. The songs lead more to jumping, singing, and clapping not moshing which I think is going to make a weird show. You'll have one part of the show where everyone is standing around and another where moshing will happen to the old songs and I wonder how people will respond to this. As a fan of 8 years I feel this album is easily their worst ( I would order the album TCRSR, Bullets, The Black Parade and finally Danger Days). Whereas MCR used to tour with the used, taking back sunday, and say anything, I could see them touring with the like of All Time Low or Panic at the Disco (were they still a full band) and that doesn't really sit well with me. Only time will tell how this album is ultimatly viewed. I just hope this isn't the end of the aggressive MCR we had in TCFSR.