Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Nov 19, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
My Chemical Romance: Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys

I first heard MCR in 2005 when I bought "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge", but that was a small phase for me and my music taste went towards Metal bands like Iron Maiden etc. I avoided "The Black Parade" because every single kid I knew at the time hopped the band wagon. Anyway, Danger Days review. MCR are a band that have received alot of attention over the years, both positive and negative. Alot of people are quick to judge this album just because of the band that produced it but seriously? That's dumb. Danger Days acts a concept album album following the band's fictional counterparts "Kill Joys", the idea behind this is that the album gives you the visual image in your mind of reading a comic, which is what attracted me to this album, except in my mind it's very fitting to Gerard Way's comics "Umbrella Academy". The albums sound is very different to previous efforts, for starters it seems more laid back and this is not a bad thing, in my opinion it adds alot more dynamics to the album. With calm verses, big chorus'. Examples of this being "Bulletproof Heart" & "SING".

The lyrics on this album is a step up from other albums, previous songs were about death or loosing your girlfriend, the typical topic in this genre of music. But for this album MCR's lyrics seem more up beat, I feel the comic book idea compliments this as to me the lyrics are about hope and saying "F**K YOU" to the world and the lyrics on each song flow very well with the music. Never been much of a fan of Gerard's vocals, but here I would say they're brilliant.

Overall I would recommend this album to anyone who judges the band based on image. The album is very strong both lyrically and musicly, the songs that I would recommend and that impressed me the most would be "The Only Hope For Me Is You" & "Vampire Money". Really though, you're probably just better off listening to the whole thing. Music is subjective and everyone has their own opinion, so give it a listen. You'll either hate it or love it.

jibran
    '...hasn't often been seen since Queen.' That makes me want to punch a midget.
    Lion_Slicer
    robbie-rocks' review: The lyrics on this album is a step up from other albums, previous songs were about death or loosing your girlfriend
    Man, I love "loosing" my girlfriend, if ya know what I mean Dude, people compared them to Queen when the Black Parade came out... just no. There's no Queen here. Stop pretending that giant flamboyant choruses automatically make your favorite band as good as legends like Queen. Talking about you, 10/10/10 unregistered. Your review is so vague as to be useless. No specifics at all, just raves about how the've "ripped up the rule book" and such nonsense. And the other two just focus on how they used to be and say you'll either hate it or love it... wow, thanks for that nugget of wisdom. None of these reviews make me want to listen to this. I didn't before, but occasionally I'll change my mind. Not this time.
    Sepuloren
    The album has its dull moments which they could have really made better like the b-side Zero Percent should come directly after nanana on the album so by the time Bulletproof Heart comes on you are ready for a slow song.
    Priad-Luabe
    I am disappoint... this album was far too mediocre imo, there was only 2 or 3 songs that really stood out.
    Local666Union
    each time I think about MCR the first thing that pops into my head is WHEN I WAS btw who the hell compares MCR to queen?
    NZsmartass
    Shabalaba wrote: Tone Deaf wrote: The first reviewer... Shouldn't comment on previous albums when he hasn't listened to them... Black Parade was lyrically excellent, in my oppinion. You shouldn't state your opinion when you can't even spell opinion.
    Win
    strat0blaster
    Okay. I don't really care about the band that much - I'm not going to bash them. But. Did this guy really just compare My Chemical Romance to Queen? All credibility gone.
    roland_96
    That was the first version of it, but they rewrote the album and experimented with synths and electronic elements. They just put out a good rock album, which is all this is. They take everything they've learned and made it greater than ever while still having fun. Easily the best record of 2010.
    ienjoymusic
    Everyone's busy arguing about whether MCR is similar to Queen, but what their forgetting is that the Black Parade is way closer to Pink Floyd's The Wall. MCR writes HUGE choruses which is where the Queen comparison comes from, but I would definitely label them as more Floyd-influenced.
    RunawayKaren
    This album isn't horrible, but it's easily their worst one to date. Emo or not their previous efforts gave off the impression of a band that actually sat down and knew what they wanted to make. This one feels like you're listening to a new band that isn't sure what sound they are going for yet, some of it doesn't even sound like it belongs on the same album.
    LocalFiend138
    ChemyVamp wrote: Danger Days sounds too much like the Smashing Pumpkins, at least that's what i hear.
    The only song off of Danger Days that reminds me of the Smashing Pumpkins is S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W. It kinda has that 90's alternative vibe. It's gotta be the strangest song they've done. But I love it.
    thejohnoparty
    some of the songs aren't "spectacular" individually. but i think you have to listen to the entire album from start to finish. doing that definitely made me appreciate each song alot more. i also think the videos are great and will probably get better and better. "The Kids From Yesterday" is easily my favorite song on the album.
    ChemyVamp
    The Black Parade actually had the same epicness that some Queen songs had, it wasn't exactly like Queen cause well you guys would have hated it even more. Danger Days sounds too much like the Smashing Pumpkins, at least that's what i hear.
    ShiningEntity
    Just downloaded this (yeah, yeah, shun upon me etc.), and I can genuinely say I'm amazed. This isn't the sorta music I usually enjoy, but MCR have done it in a way that I can't help but love it. I strongly recommend buying this album, I will be when I get the money!
    Tone Deaf
    Shabalaba wrote: You shouldn't state your opinion when you can't even spell opinion.
    My bad, O, grammatically perfect one. I should have know that my spelling capabilities were far to inferior to disagree with the reviewer, and say that I liked the lyrics of such mainstream, emo-trash. Forgive me, please...
    EpiExplorer
    rcazzy wrote: I like the album, it's pretty good. Definitely more pop based and I guess "mainstream".
    Since when were they not? Lulz. Every one of my teenage emo/scene friends didnt give a shit when this came out, so just goes to show how relevant they are.
    di4gram
    Both The Black Parade and Danger Days are compared to Queen in some way and the only reason that this happened is because the band pumped themselves up as being the next Queen in interviews and shit. It's not an original comparison and it certainly isn't an accurate one.
    WastedTele
    I will buy this. Despite any negative reviews or gay comments about them being 'emo'. Everyone judges them these days because it seems popular to do so.
    rcazzy
    I like the album, it's pretty good. Definitely more pop based and I guess "mainstream" but is still MCR as they've always been, focusing on enough narrative and being completely loose in emotion fuelling the lyrics. I'd hardly call the Black Parade that mainstream (apart from say, Teenagers), it wasn't a common listen for everyone, but this might just be. As for that Queen comment, in regards to the vast amount of pop-rock based music today, I agree, at least My Chem give it a shot and hit the mark enough to be able to stand up to that.
    Koethe
    Even compared to their questionably immature but at least very catchy Black Parade album, the songs iv heard off this were a bit of a let down..
    LocalFiend138
    jetfuel495 wrote: Did that song Stay end up on here after all?
    iH8CarAccidents
    FearOfTheDuck wrote: I got a kerrang mag cause it had the inverted peace sign Trash Talk sticker in i wanted for my SG, it also had that spider. Which i put on the plate on the back that covers the electrics cause its really scratched. Saw the same spider advertising a new MCR album was like, shit...
    Well I think the spider looks pretty awesome, and non MCR fans probably wouldn't know where it's from anyway.
    FearOfTheDuck
    foo_diddles
    I tried, I really tried to like them. Gerard Way can't sing live, and when I heard Nanana I remembered the melody from old car commercials, not a quality band, and not worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as Queen. Definitely not worth the $35 they're charging to see them at the 9:30 club (Mastodon was 25, nothing these guys do can ever even begin to touch Crack the Skye live)
    LocalFiend138
    jetfuel495 wrote: People, people, the Queen comparisons have been being thrown around for years now. In other news, we have an African American president now.LocalFiend138 wrote: jetfuel495 wrote: Did that song Stay end up on here after all? No, it didn't. =[ Too bad, because I really like it. Hopefully they release it as a single or B-Side sometime. God dammit. They always leave the best songs off of the record. Like Bury Me in Black being left off of Three Cheers, and Heaven Help Us being left off of The Black Parade. Still gonna check this out, though.
    Yeah, I totally agree. Those were great songs. If you have time, check out the song "Zero Percent" on Youtube. It's the B-Side for "Na Na Na".
    Amuro Jay
    chrisdazzo
    Love this album. Loved TBP. Loved TCFSR. That is all. Bullets wasn't great, but there were some solid songs. Queen isn't all that great, imo. One or two good songs, but that's it.
    LightxGrenade
    \
    Antoine-leg wrote: You could maybe compare their cultural impact, but I think it's pointless to do it in regards of music.
    I don't think that's entirely true, the band as a whole doesn't bear a lot of resemblance to Queen's sound but it's very apparent that the lead guitarist uses a similar style Brian May i.e. using the change from a pentatonic scale into a major scale as a focal point in his riffs/solos. It's not a 100% perfect imitation but I also thought "someone likes May" when I first heard the riffs the lead guitarist plays even on 3 Cheers...as for this album, I love some of the songs (Destroya), hate some of the others (Planetary). Their sound has evolved into more of a modern rock style which I like. IMO Gerard always wrote good lyrics but some of the lyrics on this album are amazing. The one thing that does bother me is that some songs sound like they really made an effort to do something unique and others sound like cheap filler that's giving bandwagon jumpers instant gratification.
    drippy_sink
    I say forget everything they've done in the past, forget about all the expectations. MCR has done so much dark stuff on previous records, I think that they needed just some pure pop/punk. Independent of all of the expectations, it's a GREAT record.
    edinfang
    People are loking over planetry...one of the shitest songs they, or any other "Rock band" have ever made... I had the misfortune of seeing it live...
    Robijntje
    I loved the album.. First album of MCR i've ever heard tbh, and loved it.
    masterdebator
    honestly I liked them until they got so much fame I probably wont get this album Perfectly reasonable reason to stop listening to a band. my thoughts excatly lol
    Antoine-Øleg
    rcazzy wrote: Antoine-leg wrote: The mere fact of considering that this is a good album is pretty subjective in my opinion; but comparing MCR to Queen is going WAY too far. I don't think so. Listen to The Black Parade and tell me there isn't a full on influence from Queen and Pink Floyd. It is subjective, you probably hold Queen in such high regard that they're untouchable, but MCR managed to make anthems that were epic in sound using that influence and did a good job at it, not something you can say is usually done well by a lot of music today.
    I've listened to The Black Parade many times (I used to be pretty into MCR back in the day) and I've frankly never found any Queen and/or Pink Floyd influences within it. I'm not saying they're a terrible band (even though I don't like them anymore), I'm saying that I find it pointless to compare MCR to Queen because they are quite different bands, whose prime eras are separated by 25 years or so. You could maybe compare their cultural impact, but I think it's pointless to do it in regards of music.
    K!!LsWiTcH
    gattcat0 wrote: and goddamnit Destroya sounds a shittonne like killing in the name of...
    no it doesnt at all i award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul
    thePTOD
    I haven't listened to much of it, but I really don't get that 'grand' feel that some people are talking about. I don't hate or love the band, but I hate Gerard Way. Everything about him gives this "I'm cooler than you because I'm different" vibe. Plus he's a douchebag. And can't sing. I'm getting off on a rant here.
    Lung
    omgbadman wrote: MCR are just another emo trend band with lack of creativity and a fan empire consisting of 15 year-old fat girls who burn themselves and call it artistic.
    Fat bottomed girls, you make the rockin' world go 'round.
    rcazzy
    stueey
    omgbadman wrote: Did you just compare MCR to Queen in the summary line? Fail. MCR are just another emo trend band with lack of creativity and a fan empire consisting of 15 year-old fat girls who burn themselves and call it artistic.
    You are an Idiot. Listen to Rays guitar Solo in Na Na Na, and tell me he doesn't use a similar guitar tone to Brian May. If you think you can release something better, why don't you? This is a Good album.
    tweak24
    wait, it already came out?!? it thought it was tuesday? AHHH!!! i so cannot wait!!! the singles and videos are KILLER!!!!! honestly, i never used to like them until i got 3 cheers for sweet revenge. i didn't really like black parade as much, but i haven't looked forward to an album release as much as this in an extremely long time. cant wait for the tour!!!!!
    Momentosis
    csensesfail92 wrote: honestly I liked them until they got so much fame I probably wont get this album
    Perfectly reasonable reason to stop listening to a band.
    Antoine-Øleg
    loz4
    Album is veyr bad in my opinion, i liked TBP alot but this is kasabian for my liking.
    pwninator123
    Anyone who uses Emo to describe this record doesn't deserve to listen to it XD They are about as far from Emo as one could imagine. I'm a bit disappointed in the comments, but you get used to it. They're a rather okay band, definitely a great guitarist, and a highly competent vocalist, at least on record. The Queen comparisons are obvious, despite attempts at outright bashing, the song structures, vocal stylings (not talent), and the guitar tones are straight out of the Queen book, as Teenagers was straight out of T-Rex. The first step is admitting it, the second step is enjoying it despite their popularity and how easy it is to mock them. I am not a fanboy.
    RunawayKaren
    They've been around for nine or 10 years. yep, they are a trend band alright.