Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Nov 19, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
My Chemical Romance: Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys

In terms of sound, My Chemical Romance has done something very similar to what Green Day did as the Foxboro Hot Tubs in terms of sound. The songs have been stripped down to an almost minimalistic zero, but they still sound just as big as ever. It's nice to hear a band filling out their sound on merit of their instrumentation, as opposed to their production, and that's what My Chemical Romance has managed to do here. What's more, this is a concept album, revolving around the characters of "Party Poison" (Gerard Way), "Jet Star" (Ray Toro), "Fun Ghoul" (Frank Iero), and "Kobra Kid" (Mikey Way), who do battle against an evil corporation in the year 2019; the special edition box set, currently available online, looks like a highly collectible item. The Fabulous Killjoysas their alter-ego is nameddeliver some excellent songs and some filler. The song Na Na Na is a boisterously catchy tune, inflicted with 70s pop, while its guitar solo is perhaps the only notable one included on this album a disappointing feature of an album that could have been propelled to the next level with some greater pyrotechnics on the fret board. Summertime is the album's sweet, melodic, radio-friendly ballad, and Vampire Money is the song directed at the Twilight Saga' and everything that goes with it. It's an obvious homage to Iggy and the Stooges, but that's in no way a bad thing! There are some sonic duds, which are so obvious they don't deserve any introductions, but try to ignore them (I'm talking about you, Planetary (GO!)).

Gerard Way keeps it quite simple on this album, sticking largely to the storyline, but I'm not overwhelmingly impressed with some of the work. In that respect, perhaps Gerard should keep his comic book writing and his lyric-writing more disparate in the future. Although not overwhelmingly terrible, are you gonna be the one to save us/from the black and hopeless feeling/will you mean it when the end comes reeling' certainly comes off as catchy, but where's the uniqueness? The topic of God comes up on Destroya, but, interestingly, Gerard doesn't seem to deny or acknowledge the existence of a God and, in the end, I think, only he can provide an answer as to what the underlying theme of the song is.

What I like about Danger Days is that it doesn't follow the trend that My Chemical Romance set on The Black Parade. Any musicians, who can detach themselves from the market to this level, setting themselves new precedents along the way, deserve the accolades of music listeners. So whether you're a metalhead or one of My Chemical Romance's first ever fans, do listen to Danger Days. It's worth the effort, even if it's not what you're used to. The point is that this band has embraced garage rock and new wave influences, and put Gerard Way's voice to it. It's a marked improvement from whatever they used to do, and could do with some support.

bozomatt
    metallifreak77 wrote: Comparing MCR to Queen? May as well compare my ass to Eva Mendez.
    you must have a nice booty
    niel9802
    omgbadman wrote: Did you just compare MCR to Queen in the summary line? Fail. MCR are just another emo trend band with lack of creativity and a fan empire consisting of 15 year-old fat girls who burn themselves and call it artistic.
    I lol'd. But yes. Outlandish songs and writing styles means that you can be compared to Queen, and according to others, even Bowie?? What a load of old tosh.
    rockinroller25
    i have like 4 songs on my ipod from their past albums i thought even though they were dark lyrics they had kind of a humorous ring in it, for example: "Dead"'s guitar solo that had a part where it sounded like the woodey woodpecker laugh. so im kinda not surprised they've gone to a punk rock sound now, and i'm gonna give the album a shot.
    RyoujokuNoAme
    Personally, this album is great. Something different. I've been a MCR fan for years now, and my favourite will always be TCFSR, and this is closer to that sound than TBP was. I wish people would stop comparing it to Queen, Bowie etc. It is what it is, so just listen to it and stop bitchin'
    Mcfraggins
    It's always a great thing when a band evolves in a different direction, and manages to pull it off quite nicely. I enjoyed the album thoroughly.
    dougcls
    paramore_fans
    Amuro Jay
    dougcls wrote: This band sucks... then they go and pull a Kings of Leon and sell out and change everything to sell a record
    ^Does not know what "sell out" means.
    paramore_fans wrote: MCR copies the style of Canadian band BILLY TALENT who are way more talented than them!!! and I'm telling you the truth, I used to like MCR but they are sellouts!!! hahaha
    Now I like me some Billy Talent, but I don't see how MCR is copying them at all. You also probably don't know the meaning of sellout either. No offense.
    larrytheguitar
    Commenting again, I thought "I've got a bulletproof heart, you've got a hollowpoint smile" was a nice lyric
    dougcls
    wow, i lost all respect for someone comparing MCR to Billy Talent. Billy Talent is um... talented duh... They write unique songs amazing lyrics and everyone of them are talented. There isn't a shred of talent in MCR, especially in their singer.