Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Nov 19, 2010
My Chemical Romance: Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys

My Chemical Romance: "Danger Days: True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys". A genius collaboration of pure influence and a combination of elements from the past to create a unique masterpiece. The fourth studio album from the New Jersey kings of rock has hit all high expectations, with a new vibrant and colorful image that reverses the theme of the amazing "Black Parade" is sure to impress critics. With shredding guitar riffs that will make grown men weep this album is surely one of the best albums of the year. With the intelligent use of synth and stadium anthems Danger days shows another side to the band which may surprise some fans, when MCR announced the album was a new path and direction and that they are going back to basics, alarm bells started ringing. However, this genius work of art will not disappoint it will take you on a thrilling journey through the theme of California 2019 with future image. All songs have a special feeling from full on head banging fuzzy punk tunes like "Na Na Na", party poison and vampire money to stadium lighter swaying ballads such as "Scarecrow", "The Kids From Yesterday" and "SING". There is even a combination of dance tunes that will get your rocking bones moving like "Planetary (GO!)" and "Summertime" which is a feel good shimmering pop tune to put a smile on your face. MCR have also showed their heaviest song ever "DESTROYA". Hugetribal Goth guitar groove, repeated over and over again like a heavy metal Stone Roses doing something from The Rocky Horror Show, culminating in Gerard screeching the title over and over and over and over again. Insanely heavy and therefore brilliant in fact it would put House of wolves to shame. The energy and fresh vision is shown through all the songs on the album, it highlights the combination ambition, hard work and most importantly FUN. It channels the band's genius tastes for the absurd and the outlandish into a record in gleeful love with the macho pleasures of old school rock'n'roll. The jazz hands aren't visible to the naked eye, but they're there in spirit? This new album is about stripping it down to the pure heart which is the music, unlike "The Black Parade" the recent concerts that MCR have done show that they are not going to dress into a costume with masses of make up on instead they going to play the root of their souls which is just the music. "The Black Parade" especially in this country, where they were accused of being behind an "emo cult" that glamorised suicide perhaps they decided they'd had enough of all the posturing, all the judgement, and focusing on the music again was the only way to escape the madness? My Chemical Romance have stood out from the crowd and make their mark in the music scene by taking huge risks and pulling them off to such a great standard. They embrace new ideas and create unique music that sells records and sells out arenas around the world. The worry was that this record would turn out dull; the reality blows that concern out of the water. "Killjoys" this album is bulletproof and it will make some noise!

The lyrics are full of meaning and passsion and Gerrard Way certainly brings his talent to the table with some amazing vocal perfromances. "The Kids From Yesterday" has a unique feel to the swaying mood, "you only hear the music when your heart begins to break" I think is amazing. I haven't really thought about it until then, but I really believe that. Music can never touch you as hard as it does when you're, simply put, depressed. The song also symbolises the journey of MCR and their fans and how times have changed since the begining of their music journey. I think it's about them basically shedding the weight of a whole genre that they've had tagged to them since their beginning. "You only live forever in the lights you make", that obviously means you'll only be remembered for the good you do in the world, instead of the angst and negative emotions that have been plaguing their music for so long (though, as a diehard MCR fan, I'm aware that the only messages they've tried to send are positive). "When we were young we used to say that you only hear the music when you're heart begins to break", further backing up that it's about how the only thing they used to be able to turn into music were the bad things they needed to get off their minds. "Now we are the kids from yesterday", now they're all grown up and their music is changing with them. All the other verses seem to be about the music industry in general ("they only care if you can bleed"). The fantastic hit "SING" has a meaningful purpose on the album this song, to me, is speaking up for all the people that cannot speak up for themselves. There is a great deal of injustice and genocide going on in the world today, and this song speaks to having the courage and strength to make a noise about it as long as there is not justice. "And raise your voice every single time they try to shut your mouth."

This album makes all other albums look shameful, personally I think I would feel humiliation if I came out with an album at the same time as this masterpeice, this album is by far the best of the year. The most influential and impressive songs are "Na Na Na", "SING", "Planetery (GO!)", "The Only Hope For Me Is You", "Save Yourself, I'll Hold Them Back", "Scarecrow", "Summertime", "The Kids From Yesterday" these are the main athemes on the album which is basically all of them that really shine :) I love the fact that the risk they have took has paid off to such a huge extent it shows that the band are such a growing force in the music industry there willing to embrace new images and visions and the combination of talented singing and outstanding instrumental playing really highlights the band full portential.

thesentinel82
    I'm pretty sure that the idiots who keep banging on about the fact that MCR are nothing like Queen need to actually read what was written - "a song-writing audacity that hasn't often been seen since Queen" That, in case you have some kind of dyslexia reads that this album has a song-writing style that lays homage to Queen's writing style, NOT that the album sounds anything like Queen. This album is, apart from a couple of dull songs really good. It is different from anything MCR have written before and shows a fun side to their writing. Stop with the stupid Queen comments and actually learn to read properly!
    SynysterNinja13
    personally, i really enjoyed the album, but unfortunately, it was just a couple of songs that really got to me, like when they released Na Na Na, i was like WOOOOOT! and then when I heard "The Only Hope For Me Is You" i said "I didn't know mcr had a backup artist to do stuff like this." i was deeply disappointed with these songs: 1. The Only Hope For Me Is You 2. Summertime 3. The Kids From Yesterday They were the only songs that disappointed me. the others i loved and were pumping full of energy. so hopefully when they go back and do another album, (i would laugh if they did something like Slipknot) they will pick up their game and go back to something like "Three Cheers..." and a mixture of "Danger Days...". Overall: 8/10