I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Apr 12, 2004
My Chemical Romance: I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love

My Chemical Romance can't be put in a shoebox; they have such a unique sound that it's impossible to classify them. They're not punk, hardcore, hard rock, emo or screamo, even though they have been called each of these at some time or another. The only way to understand it is to listen to them. 'I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love' is darker and more scattered than 'Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge', but is no less brilliant. Blazing guitars, bombastic drums, great bass and Gerard Way's unique singing makes My Chemical Romance an overwhelmingly talented band unlike any other you've heard.

The lyrics on 'I Brought You My Bullets...' are dark and introspective, and show a lot of depth where Gerard's songwriting is concerned. From alcoholism and drug abuse ('Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For The Two Of Us') to a fantasy world of vampires ('Vampires Will Never Hurt You'), the lyrics are not only eloquent but also stunning in their descriptiveness. The music matches the lyrics perfectly; dark, subtle and brilliant. All the while, Gerard croons, murmurs, sings, screams and wails with a passion that is impossible to fake. His vocal range is amazing and his singing style is unique; a sound you'll never forget.

It's impossible to compare My Chemical Romance to any other band simply because there's nobody else like them. They're in a league and a genre of their own. The most impressive songs on the album would have to be 'Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For The Two Of Us' (it's a topic close to the band's heart, and it shows); 'Vampires Will Never Hurt You' (an amazing epic of a song); 'Our Lady Of Sorrows' (featuring a chorus so infectious you'll want to scream it our loud); and 'Demolition Lovers' (a beautiful, grandiose song that starts off crooning and finishes wailing). I love 'I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love' because it shows My Chemical Romance in all their raw, gritty, creative greatness before they were signed by a major label. It's got to be the best debut album I have ever heard. The only thing that annoys me is that, as people have mentioned before, the sound quality of some of the songs aren't very good and this dilutes the band's energy. Even so, it's impossible to miss the talent there. I can't lose the album because I haven't managed to find a copy - I've just downloaded the songs off the net! But if I ever do find some, I'm going to buy three copies, just in case!