I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Apr 12, 2004
My Chemical Romance: I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love

My Chemical Romances first album is one that may sound very different to those of you only familiar with 'The Black Parade'. However, the raw, punk inspired sound is appealling in how it reflects just how much energy and emotion this band puts into their music. The variety shown across the album is good, and fairly surprising considering this is the bands first album, which really helps to showcase the talents of the individual band members. However, be it on high tempo tunes like 'Skylines and Turnstiles' or slower songs like 'Early Sunsets Over Monroeville' and 'Demolition Lovers', the thing that remains clear in every song is that raw energy that drives the entire album.

Lyrically this is a very dark album, with MCR often using metaphors and dark imagery. This is probably most clear on the song 'Vampires Will Never Hurt You' but it is a constant theme throughout. Gerard Ways vocals are perfect for such emotionally charged songs and the music also reflects this with some strong lead guitar work on songs like 'Headfirst For Halos' matched well by Ways mixture of soft tones and hardcore screaming. Although his voice isn't the strongest (this area has improved vastly now his personal problems are behind him) he has a good range which helps tell the story that the lyrics weave. Considering, once again, that this was the bands first full collection of songs their overall songwriting at this point is very strong.

It is clear to see some of MCR's influences in the songs. For example they have at various times cited 'The Misfits' as a strong influence and the gothic tones of the lyrics and high-tempo, power chord driven guitar parts show this. I would personally also draw comparisons to 'The Sex Pistols' because of the heavy punk influence, and clear lack of rules placed on where the songs lead. Perhaps one of the disappointments (perhaps the only one) is that, given more time, it could have been better. It was hastily thrown together, with Frank Iero only playing on 4 of the recorded songs. If a little more time and care had been taken over it then 'I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love' would receive the acclaim it so richly deserves. And in regard to would I buy it again if I lost it, the answer is no. As I would make sure that I never, ever lose my copy.

Harry_66
    hawkdude9 : best mcr album, this is coming from a big thrash/death metal fan. am i the only person who sees hardcore influence in these guys on this album?
    Im another death/trash fan dude and I totally agree. Lot of hardcore and punkrock innfluence on this album. Which I think is bloody awesome. My personal favourite of this band, but I appreciate a lot what theyve become now. Theyve grown up on the music industry and that shows. But the essence is intact and that goes way much far from the makeup or the haircuts. LONG LIFE TO MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE