Life On The Murder Scene [DVD] review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Mar 21, 2006
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
My Chemical Romance: Life On The Murder Scene [DVD]

This DVD is not another documentary which becomes tedious, it is a well-produced, good quality DVD. It had good variation with the 'Making ofs' and breaking up live performances with band commentary. The overall quality was not like the CD. Gerard tends to get out of breath and skip lines. The guitar production was full of energy and interaction with fans was brilliant. It was not like the CD but this is not a ban thing, it makes it more interesting. Overall, I'd say this is pretty damn good sounding.

Content — 10
I bought this DVD in the hope it was not another documentary which became tedious and repetitive. I was right. This wasn't just another following a band around and filming a gig type DVD, it was almost an auto-biography on DVD. The DVD has a wide range of features spread evenly over 2 DVDs. I am pleased they choose to film gigs at several different places and within different time periods. It shows their progress and sound strengths. Live performances: 01. I'm Not Okay (I Promise) 02. Cemetary Drive 03. Our Lady Of Sorrows 04. Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For The Both Of Us 05. You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison 06. Headfirst For Halos 07. The Ghost Of You 08. Thank You For The Venom 09. Give 'em Hell Kid 10. Vampires Will Never Hurt You 11. Helena They've choosen songs from both of their albums and only included those which seem to be most popular nowadays. Was this a wise choice choosing better known songs? Yes, because it shows fans who do not get a chance to see them live how My Chemical Romance perform these songs. The range of live content from online performances to TV and Live shows is fantastic. It is in no way another 'Bullet In The Bible.' I don't think I can't fault the content.

Production Quality — 10
The camera is always at the correct angles to film what you need to see. The quality is very good and there is no point in the film which leaves you thinking 'why didn't they show it at said angle.' I don't think I have to say much here except brilliant production.

What to compare this to? I suppose the video diary is like Metallica's 'Some Kind Of Monster'. The live performance kicks Bullet in a Bible's ass for the fact it is better produced and has more range. Don't get me wrong, BIAB is good, but it's not great. This DVD isn't fantastic but it's great. I hope that makes sense! The most impressive thing is variation and organisation. It's organised in such a way that it's hard to be bored. I like this DVD a lot, I can fault it for things such as maybe a bigger set list for lesser known songs or when Gerard stop singing it lets the quality down a bit. Besides those minor details, I love it. I would defintely buy another if it was stolen.

omer5omer5
    I think this album is useless. It has the same songs from the "Three Cheers Of Sweet Revenge" album except for a few new ones who are not really good. So all they are doing is selling the same album again. However, the dvd can be cool.
    klam_man
    i like the way they combined pop and hardcore...i would bet money on it that the people ripping on them are metalheads that only like earshattering solos and getting stoned and talking about getting laid, though they arent getting any ass...who the hell are they to say mcr sucks anyway...if they are only fads then ill enjoy them why their here...**** off haters
    irockonguitar
    haha this is an awsome dvd i love it and the guy underneath me haha what a loser its a live record and the "new songs" are off their debue album.
    jmcnair24
    why would you assume someone who hates my chemical romance loves metal. even though any metal band has more talant than these clowns.
    f1sk
    heh, i like them, i dont see how someone could hate a band so much, even bands that i dont like, or cant stand, i dont waste my energy on that crap,
    hang.em.high.
    mcr is awesome. the music is amazin. the music videos are all cool, they're not just about the band playing in different places and all tha crap, they're actually interesting to watch. the dvd was amazing.
    shotgunjoe
    OK, I think Thank You For The Venom has an awesome intro riff, but apart from that, I don't think they're great. But I can see why other people like them. I thought the video for I'm Not OK was quite funny, but not a big fan of the song. They also have action figures. Talk about self-indulgence...
    washingmachine
    this is one of the best band DVD's ever. The Video diary in itself is worth buying the dvd! For any MCR fan this is a must have!
    wingedgopher
    jmcnair24 wrote: too bad chemical romance is absolute shit. they make shitty music and shitty music videos. they are puppets and have no talent. the record companies are laughing at you in there porsche for buying there records. check out a good band instead of some garbage like this. IDIOTS
    then who, might i ask, is a good band? of course im sure its some crappy pretentious metal band but ill give you a shot. convince me.
    orcymetalhead
    Just like to say MCR area great band, combining pop sensibilties with the hardcore music scenes' edge. Oh, and although everyone is entitled to their own opinion, try to appreciate other styles of music, see he artist in them and appreciate that. The only thing that sucks in music is urban, manufactured pop "stars" and cheessey dance music.
    x_rox
    Thank you hoobariffer87, well said. You who come here to bash a band for the sole purpose you don't like them, you are ignorant and stupid. To Mathamology, I think you may be able to hear the new songs on www.imnotokay.net, not 100% sure on that one though.
    hoobariffer87
    Hmm... You know, I don't go into topics about bands I dislike for the sole purpose of bashing them, so why do these guys? Maybe I just have better things to do
    Mathamology
    ^ wow, congratulations. Guess what, nobody cares. You aren't going to reach out to a bunch of MCR fans and change their mind by saying they suck. If anything you're making yourself look like a bunch of ignorant pricks that don't understand the concept of personal opinion and taste. On subject: What ARE the extra songs like? Anywhere I can preview them?
    linkinmark
    anyone got a bigger picture of the dvd cover...pls email me.. linkinmark090791@yahoo.com
    the_bride_2006
    It's my birthday in 23 days and i hope 2 get it then!!!! Really hope it's as gd as the reviews ave sed!! Kerrang! gave it a KKKK so it should be good.
    ssk9716757
    Seriously, how pathetic is it to go to a band page you don't even like just to rip on them? It's a waste of time and you just end up sinking lower than you consider the music to be. This band has great music, a great vision behind it, and so much emotion packed into each song. Just listen to the song "Bury Me In Black" (which is on the CD that comes with this DVD package) and tell me you don't love how demented and aggressive it is, and how well they can convey a message and emotion of anger through a song like that. And "Desert Song", you can just feel what Gerard's feeling when he kicks into the choruses.