Na Na Na review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Sep 28, 2010
My Chemical Romance: Na Na Na

My Chemical Romance has come off as an alternative gothic pop-punk band, writing songs about love, depression, angst, and most recently:death. The Black Parade set off a generation of youth back in 2006 in the month of Halloween, the album releasing a darkness over the world of alternative and rock music. With MCR claiming a Grammy nomination and selling out massive stadium concerts under the alias of the Black Parade, their final concert on the Black Parade tour ended with a bang. And now, the band is back with a catchy new single named Na Na Na. The song has been stripped of the gothic, suicide-enducing lyrics and sound of the Black Parade and has been replaced with poppy-punk catchiness. With this setting the mood MCR's new record, I'm sure there are going to be songs similar to the jumpy beat and catchy chorus of Na Na Na.

The lyrics take a step away from death and depression, and instead encourage rebellion, criticism of society, portrays youthful angst, and etc. Gerard Way's vocal technique has not changed much over the years of the band's existence, and it isn't changing for Na Na Na. With biting, edgy, and shrieking vocals, Way and the band barrel through the song and at the same time painting a mess of chaos through the lyrics.

Honestly, I have to call this song merely a catchy number. MCR has had a lot more powerful and monumental moments than this comeback. To a die-hard MCR fan, this review is an insult and probably they have gone right to the comments section to rant on this review. The song is lacking a lot of dimension when it comes to songwriting and story. It's more of a radio-hit that people can clap, jump around, or for the extreme, snap their fingers to at a wild party than really connect to as a music-lover.