Na Na Na review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Sep 28, 2010
My Chemical Romance: Na Na Na

Not initially intended as a single, "Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na), many fans may be shocked by the overall sound produced by My Chemical Romance on the first single off their upcoming album, "Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys". A Bob Dylan cover ("Desolation Road") had been released the year previous, but a solid punk anthem had yet to be seen from the band. "Na Na Na" is not just a "in your face" single. It is possibly "the" single of the year. Possessing a simplistic chord progression, the three minute song is surprisingly much lighter in tone than previous albums, and it works to their advantage.

Lyrically, the song has similar form to their previous singles, but tackles different material altogether. While the song appears to be an upbeat song of joy, it most certainly is not. For example, about half-way through the song: "Let's blow an artery/(Na na na...)/Eat plastic surgery/(Na na na...)/Keep your apology/Give us more detonation." Morbid, dark stuff, but this is to be expected from the band that gave us songs like "Thank You For the Venom" and "Bury Me in Black", both which contain fairly gruesome imagery. The writing is credited, as usual to the entire band, and they all seem quite satisfied with the song's release. Having been recorded at a trying time in the band's life, the song was said to revive the energy they had in years past. Gerard Way, as usual, has an amazing power to cover a wide range of emotions while still staying on pitch and possessing solid diction. His delivery on "Na Na Na" is stunning, and the accompanying music video is a must-see.

Overall, the song is one of the better singles that appears on this year's charts. While Katy Perry may take the number one spot, My Chemical Romance still has a devoted fanbase who will no doubt be pleased with their latest single, and (*crosses fingers*) with the release of their new album. But don't just take my word for it. Download the single. Support your favorite artists so Justin Beiber doesn't conquer the world.

jm911
    i don't get why people are saying stuff like "they chose the mainstream route" as if 'mainstream' is a genre. it is not a genre. the sound of mainstream music changes from time to time. it just so happens that pop (and hiphop and "Rnb") dominates the mainstream today. and during the black parade days, wasn't my chemical romance considered mainstream? i mean, how mainstream can you get? everyone started dressing like emo vampire zombies and started cutting themselves pretending that they had big life problems but the only problem they really had was that they forgot to do their homework. mainstream aint a genre, and being in it isnt necessarily a bad thing. (although i am disappointed with the new, less-raw sound of my chem)my ranting is done.
    jhart08
    My chemical romance have never tried to be like anyone else, though perhaps people have tried to copy them, but no one ever really pulled it off. The bands guitar shreds, drum beat and genius lyrics are very much their own. However, Gerard and the band, did have some difficulty after the Black parade. They were blamed and condemned for apparently causing people to commit suicide and wear dark clothes sometimes ending up with people being beaten up - but how can it all be down to My Chemical Romance, there seems like there is very little logic in the hate mail My Chemical Romance received. This took a heavy toll on the band and so did the album with the make-up and costumes, the death related lyrics, Mikey himself suffered with depression, so when it came to making a new album they weren't sure whether My Chemical Romance could carry on.
    I don't even know where to start...are you their PR guy? Give an honest review, not one about their feelings.
    jethrobob
    all in all i guess we can all agree its better than the black parade,
    but IMHO, they've joined the Paramore (indie/alternative kids --> pop) bandwagon just when you thought they couldn't be more pop.
    if they were actually trying to join this bandwagon they're a little late aren't they, if this was the case then we'd have another black parade. i got into these guys with sweet revenge because of the punk-ish feel to it. i knew they were on to something when they covered desolation row and this is what i expected from them after hearing that. its a pretty good song and the video makes up for where the song itself lacks imo.
    Chaz76760
    robbit wrote: I was in a band that wrote a song with that exact same riff and vocals like 3 years ago. It was on our myspace but then we took it down because it sucked. That said, theirs is worse.
    There's another band out of Detroit called Elm Street Riot who have a video out called "I'm a Mess". The intro, guitar riff and melody are very oddly similar. I know it may not be the most original riff, but almost sounds not for note at times. Hmmm.
    good_blink_plan
    good_blink_plan
    good_blink_plan wrote: thePTOD wrote: In my opinion, MCR and especially Gerard Way are like the 'emo' kid you have in your class that always has a compulsive need to tell everyone that they're emo. LOL, except they tell everyone they're not right? Otherwise that comparision is spot on.
    Comparison* Sorry.
    Gerard Way Jr
    jacobbirdy128 wrote: they BLATENTLY ripped off The Zutons.
    Who the **** even knows who the Zutons are
    Gerard Way Jr
    Tabassco wrote: How can somebody who writes the song 'na na na' be a great lyricist?
    See: Beatles Quote, "She loves you; yeah, yeah yeah." >>