The Black Parade review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Oct 24, 2006
  • Users' score: 8.2 (1,210 votes)
My Chemical Romance: The Black Parade

Wow. Where do I begin? Sound? Amazing. Blew me away. I thought that they sort of rushed this album out. Don't ask me why but I did. But I'm glad it is out because it is amazing. The guitar sound is amazing. But they should have had some bass solos. You don't hear much of the bass when you listen to there songs. I play bass so that is a down point for me. I really like this album, got it the day it came out. And well I'm writing this the day it came out. Guitar amazing. Bass, needs more.

Lyrics. Great. I really like the song called "Cancer". It's really emotional and it's saying that the person has cancer and that he's not himself because of the chemo. I really like that song. In a lot of there songs they're talking about people dying. Like Dead! even though I like that song a lot, by the title you can tell they're talking about someone who they want to die or is going to or is. I really like that one. My favorite one is probably "House Of Wolves". I like really fast paced songs and that one is and the lyircs in that one are good too. "Welcome To The Black Parade", wow. I really like the lyrics in that song. Especially the beginning when he is talking how his father took him into the city to see The Black Parade. Very well done. Like I said before it is a lot about people dying, but they mainly concentrate on that in the beginning. In the end I think they change and get a little more upbeat and maybe just a little bit more emotional. Awesome Lyrics. Gerard blows me away.

Get this album. Just like all I can say. Some of the best songs are Dead!, Welcome To The Black Parade, House Of Wolves, Cancer, Mama, Teenagers, and Disenchanted. I really love this album. It's great. But it just kills me that they don't have any bass solos. I just wish they did have some then it would make me like it even more. That is if I could like it any more than I do. If this CD were lost or stolen, yeah I would go out and buy another copy. Are you crazy? Who wouldn't? It's awesome.

gh0sthack
    As for people labelling bands as "sellouts", "MTV bands" and other such names, they are generally just terms spouted by ignorant people who want to be individual. To these people, music has nothing to do with enjoyment. It's all about the image they portray by listening to an unknown band. There's no need for name calling though, these people are entitled to their own opinion, however stupid they may seem.
    Aidy Damage
    jw31, just grow up. If a band have the exposure, good for them. That shouldn't affect your decision to like them- it's about the music! Great album, absolutely blew me away.
    SnoopyKojiApple
    Amen. I never really fancied My Chem, but The Black Parade is absolutely amazing. It's difficult to believe it's even the same band. I hope the group contiues to produce more material on the same or better caliber as this.
    KenBOH
    untitled039 wrote: You cannot get much more emo than the single 'Welcome to the Black Parade'
    yes you can- - you know nothing about music. moron.
    lithium_light
    Maddy!
    This album is amazing. They Desearve there No1 spot in the UK charts. They are as kerrang said the best band on the planet.
    LetTheBassPlay
    brianlumanog wrote: the sound just blows you away! MCR just made history
    just how did they make history? They're just another band that made an album thats really good in some people's opinion.
    the.end.
    i love the album! i was a fan of there old stuff and now their new stuff but my favorite song is the end hence the name. im kind of scared because of all the new fans that only like their new stuff because i probly wont be able to get tickets for anything anymore. and die hard fans like my self probly dont want posers not saying that anybody here is but u get whjat i mean!
    gothicneo
    I have never liked My Chemical Romance, they're not my thing, but that's not why I hate them. Just two things piss me off, Gerard stops crying into the mic, n apparently its metal? No way. And the other thing is that they DEMAND PUBLICITY EVERYWHERE! Trivium released a new album lately, but nobody cares! My Chemical Romance do it, and it's literally ALL OVER MySpace and the television!
    sk8ero131
    lithium_light wrote: Most bands cannot evolve the way that My Chem did. Most bands stay the same or get worse. However, My Chem something that they felt told their story, and that told a story that their fans could relate to. Their true fans that understand them. In my opinion, this record was epic, amazing, and beautiful. Emotional and strong. Everything that a record should be. They may not be metal, hardcore, or whatever you feel the need to label them as (or whatever you feel the need to label them not), but each song is different in its own way, each one can be put under different a different genre. And just because the lyrics are told from a fictional and metaphorical point of view does not make them "emo" (which is a "subculture" that I personally do not believe exists, it's just some stupid stereotype that everyone continues to push and push at) or fake, it just gives it an exciting vibe to it. A lot of music has lost the ability to tell stories that brings the listeners to different places. My Chem is one of those bands that haven't lost that element. Evolution is a part of growing bigger, getting better, and sharing your life. If you don't understand My Chem, don't comment on things you don't fully grasp or understand.
    You Pretty much somed up my thoughts, join The Black Parade
    guitar_rules311
    Sure is a lot of comments for a review page. Anyway from the songs ive heard so far (welcome to the black parade and the end)the album seems different in a good way from the others.
    syuk90
    The way they make music is very different and unique. It was excellent. They composed gr8 lyrics and riffs. Shouldn't criticized them coz they're damned gr8 in making gr8 musics and they know what they're doing. They done their best in this album and you all know that. It's all up to the people whether people wanna support them and buy their albums. People can label them emo or anything... just let them have their say... ...coz their have their rights to say but MCR doesn't label themselves emo... coz they can dress themselves in anyway... and they're juz making music, and they can do any genres they want. They can decide what kind of sound is the best for the songs and albums. Coz after all they're band... band make musics. Other people may like slow, smooth, relax sounding music and others may like fast-paced, to-the-max drumbeats, demon-speed solo, catchy riffs and heavy sounding of music... coz after all people hear different kind of music. BTW if others still criticized them, try making the music yourself... compete wif MCR... Coz they have gr8 guitarist.... nice song-fitted vocals, catchy drumbeats, smooth bassplay... and absolutely an awesome band. One thing... Appreciate music if you're a true music lover... esp MCR
    shruggy
    didnt like it the first time through but the second and third changed my mind gotta say Im impressed they have progressed alot since their last album guitar sounds better and lyrics make more sense but did anyone else notice the similarities between house of wolves and detroit rock city by kiss also teenagers bears a striking resemblance to another song I cant quite place now Im not criticizing I realy like both songs but an anyone tell me what song it is that teenagers is a rewrite of its driving me ****ing nuts all in all great album love it
    bonus_moshpt2
    wow, what can i say about My Chemical Romance's new album. When i first heard that they had a new album out i didn't really care. But one day i was flipping through the channels and i heard this song. WOW. I couldn't believe it was even them! I'm really impressed and i decided to buy the album. I've been waiting for something to completely blow me away and they did it. Yay for My Chemical Romance. And, just because they're an MTV band or whatever that means doesn't mean you can't appreciate the music that they create. Music shouldn't be about whether they're emo, from MTV, or anything else like that. It should be about what you like. This album is AMAZING
    klvanzu
    this album is completely boring - their guitarist hasn't gotten any better he's always been pretty decent. Why do I not hear this "new and improved" sound? It sound very similar to their first two albums and I still don't think it holds a candle to their first album. I would give it a 7/10 at best
    HatTrick3
    As I was reading these comments, you guys need to realize something; This isn't politics. Either, you like this album or you hate it. Different people, different opinions. Be open minded. It's not the end of the world if someone has a different point on something. I won't say anything about this album since I'll be flamed either way.
    mrlee192
    all the people saying there album is the next nevermind, thats bad because that album set what was a a long haitus for real rock music. When MCR can make albums as good as gnr then maybe they will be accepted. And someone said something to do with, could i do better, your damn right i could make music better than them. And in intend to.
    br4vw
    blinkguitarist5 wrote: To all of those who say that MCR is an emo band....Just shut up. Emo bands talk about cutting thier wrists, getting dumped, crying, and for some odd reason, Ohio. Emo sucks ass, there I said it. MCR is a pretty damn good band. It was definatly worth the $10 I paid for it. Welcome to the Black Parade is a kick ass song. This album is definatly different from their first two albums, that I'll admit, were a little bit emo. This whole album is just telling a story. So to all you emo, retarded critics shut the hell up.
    Did someone just contradict themselves?? Forking n00b
    chris_lol
    The sound isnt all tooooo bad. (When it turns on, on the radio i dont swing round and pull the plug0 but, why do all the songs have to have such lame and F*#king self pitying lyrics. Liven up youre millionare rockstars, go and throw a tv out of a hotel window and get pissed.
    Lucyej
    I love this album, I love the concept. I've been listening to all three albums, they've really evolved and as Gerard Way said, instead of making the next album, its like every time they jump a few. For all you people saying it's emo - where is the emo-ness? If you actually understand what the album is about then you would not think that. It is about death but it's not about them being depressed and wanting to kill themselves. Its about one man 'The Patient' and his death and death coming for him as his strongest memory etc. Its not emo its telling a story. Favourite tracks would have to be 'Cancer' and 'Mama'. Weird, I know, but they're so different and exciting to listen to. Also, what's wrong with a band that's on MTV? Is it wrong that they worked hard and finally got fame and publicity? I live in a place where I would never have even heard of them had it not been for 'Three Cheers' and their popularity. My favourite album out of all three: amazing guitar, great lyrics, an astounding sound overall. My Chemical Romance are back and better than ever before.
    Zell182
    Awesome album Ihaven't heard the others except the single soff the last one and they were good but probably not album of the year despite Kerrang and TG view. It would have to be NOFX Wolves in wolves' clothing
    chainsawkitten
    wow...just wow...lived up to expectations and then some...it's gonna be a classic, just like gerard wanted...put it alongside Nevermind and OK Computer
    Stolenidentity1
    I just dont like there music, and there sell-outs. There singer annoys me, high pitched ear bleeding crud. I have to say there guitar work is better here, than there other albums. But in short, i hate them, they suck, and dont need to be on tv cause they are horrid *oh someone said up at the top what makes them emo "they use the word black"* ha that was funny, retarded kids make me laugh!!! If they would junk the singer and stop the emo music, the band could go somewhere, just like cradle of filth
    Ablazean
    thanbag wrote: shadowartist06 wrote: this cd isnt emo becuz theres no emotions towards it becuz its somthin completly made up wtf the band labels themselves as emo. It's just ignorant to say they aren't. that;s the kind of thing stupid people say about shitty music as an excuse to listen to it. MCR is the biggest tool of a band ever. anyone with half a musical mind knows that emo is the least talented music other than simple 80s punk. The guitar lines are simple minor chords through most of everything with the occasional arpeggio and the singers do that whining thing because they CAN'T ACTUALLY SING. anyone who knows anything about vocals knows that tough notes sound whiny and ugly, just like all emo singers. You want a good band? listen to ****ing dragonforce. AMAZINg guitar lines, flawless vocals and powerful, fast drum lines. that's real music. if you emo kids disagree, go cry in a ****ing corner because nobody gives a flying ****!
    XD I bought this album and Inhuman Rampage today in the same purchase.
    cpick2014
    so i just wanted to say that ive never really liked my chemical romance...and then i heard welcome to the black parade on the radio, bought the cd for 6 bucks (yes it was legal) and i actually really enjoy it. its really not that emo. not as much as their old stuff or many many many other bands. its really musical and a nice alternative sound.
    cpick2014
    oh and about how the whole "emo is simple and untalented" i think that if a band can make the really simple stuff sound way good, then it is still really awesome music. its the mark of a genius to turn something simple into something really cool. take snow patrol for example. incredibly easy stuff, but really catchy and good music. simple does not equal untalented. bitch.
    mcrPwnsyou
    how could you label any type of music 'emo'. is it just the way they dress that makes your decision of a band 'emo'. if you think about it all songs are really about the same thing, just with musical instruments in it. if you don't sing about your emotion, then what is there to sing about? some songs may sound like there is no emotion in it, but there really is. about the cd, bought on the day it came out - good price. good songs too. it doesn't sound like their other albums, which is good cuz, youre not hearing the same thing over and over again. and to...its either shadowartist06 or thanbag, i just want to say HATER. if you don't like it, thats too bad. don't go ruining it for other people who actually like it and think its good. yes, dragonforce is amazing i agree, but that doesn't give you the right to call my chemical romance a tool. if you think you can do better than my chemical romance or any other 'emo' band and get a record deal, then get on with it. also, stop talking about dragonforce in here. it probably has its own forum where you could type whatever you want. ok. thats all i have to say. (:
    Junesongtrigger
    scarfacesuit wrote: orion284 wrote: colm c wrote: I HATE YOU ALL! FUCKING EMOS!yeah, well we emo's hate you too. what's wrong with being emo? huh? tell me why well, from what i know, there are 2 types of emo kids: 1.) the ones who actually cut themselves and whine about how life sucks ALL OF THE F***ING TIME. 2.) the ones who wear those super tight jeans, flip their hair, and are basically just gay guys who think they're the coolest thing ever. so if you want to know why he doesn't like emos, then ask yourself if you would like someone who was either number 1, number 2, or both.
    Hardly. There's a 3rd kind of what you would probably consider emo, and that is someone who thinks realistically and knows life has no meaning and it chokes them up to see everyone trying so hard to mean something and it's apparent we all mean very, very little. I listen to the music, understand and realise a lot of things that are probably considered emo, but I love life for what it is, even if I know it isn't much. Explain that. Music is meant to be emotional, and humans all emote. Stop being stupid.
    mrlee192
    someone put that because they no longer wear make up, there not emo. well in the new vid they have eye liner on, but anyhow, wearing make up does not make you an emo. if you have a fag fringe however and listen to bands like this and other lame posers to the scene like panic, fall out boy, all of that crap, then that makes you more emo, well no actually, your a scene kid. your only emo i guess if your into the whole "i slit my wrists xcore cause my girlfriend dumped me". Listen to good music, listen to a band called Crashdiet.
    mrlee192
    chrisbeevor wrote: refused06 wrote: ...so quit your "emo sux,suck me" whinings and just say I DONT LIKE THIS ALBUM.. Just what I was thinking. I don't like what I've heard of this album. I'm not gonna argue whether you do or not. I find it quite unoriginal and sounds typical of mainstream over production. I'm not saying I dislike it because of it being mainstream, it just sounds too... overdone? Too like a pop record? Taking the Green Day route? I also fail to see how they made the front of Guitar World and how one of the guitarists believes themself to be similar to the great Randy Rhoads.
    Is what you are saying true...he said he was similar to randy rhoads....im sorry but thats just ****ing bullshit, whatever member of mcr said that needs t o be hit over the head severly until they apologise for that terrible comparison.
    Overaid
    I just love how people can actually critic on a genre, on a teenage fashion and completely forgetting the music itself. This album's not perfect, but it's quite nice, cool souding, well produced and well aranged, with some surprising twisting album, just thinking of Teenagers that is completely blues, I just love it. By th way, Emo = Emotion, I mean, everybody has it. You may write a song on your car if you like, if teenagers cut themself, bad for them, doesn't mean you have to hate what they tend to listen to. So enjoy, stop whining, and give decent critics and comments.
    mcrPwnsyou
    nice words. ^ and....the mcr guitarists are good. leave them alone. lets see you do better.
    amifalling
    blinkguitarist5
    pinballwizard92
    amifalling : If MCR keeps composing masterpieces like this they could be the Nirvana of the millenium.
    No. Nirvana were GOOD. MCR are BAD.
    Green_Day_Rock
    Hey guys: You got something to say, write a review. People actually read reviews, not the crap you write in these comment boxes hoping you'll make a point. I haven't heard it, so I won't comment. Enough said.
    orion284
    smash.guitar wrote: I think it's great that MCR have come from their first album "i bought you bullets..." which had little sucess (even though i have to say it's a great album) to "the black parade" which has bought MCR mainstream success! The new album has songs which would appeal to a wide range of audiences. Some people will like it, some people will hate it. Some may call it "emo", others will describe it as "pop". But MCR is MCR and i personally think they're a very good modern day rock band. Just a note, if you're going to say you hate a band, give a reason other then, lots of people like them or they're too emo/scene etc. Thanks for another great album MCR
    thank you. i agree
    tommy gosh
    the sharpest lives, house of wwolves, cancer and mama are 4 reasons why mcr is better then nirvanna. Kurt cobain sounded like a dying frog anyway
    Fossilized Love
    shossni wrote: This is a piece of shit band... their second album was much better... Headfirst for Halos and songs like that... that guy that commented, jetfuel495... this album has EMO all over it, and the guitars are the same, always been good.. and yes, no bass at all.. "The Black Parade" is sang like shit, and mixes punk and EMO.. =BAD!!... lyrics sounds Nazi, so does the cover look Nazi.."The Black Parade".. fascists in black shirts.. "destroy the unfaithful" c'mon... this is commercial music that ****s up kids everywhere... and that guy who said "MTV Band=nono" you're the greatest.. u'r rite.. This band has gone in decline, and headfirst to a big pile of shit.. where it's full of bands like Green Day...
    Look at all those periods. Where's Pacman when you need him?