The Black Parade review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Oct 24, 2006
  • Users' score: 8.2 (1,208 votes)
My Chemical Romance: The Black Parade

Over the last few years My Chemical Romance have confused, irritated and anoyyed the hell out of me and the only reason I heard this album was the manic obbession by a number of my friends. I expected it to like the first two albums, unorganised, overly-emotional and annoying pop-punk music. I was proved wrong by this album, it has exceeded any opinoon that I formally had of the band. The sound is theatrical, almost as if it is a musical rather than a rock record, and clinically insane. Ray Torro is by no means the worlds greatest guitarists but can smack a mean solo in a song, for a prime example listen to "Dead" or "Teenagers". Frank Iero is also a good guitar player but his style is more subtle compared to his counterparts lunacy. The bass playing is a mix of simple and effective, and bouncy and energetic although there are no innovations. The Drumming numbs the mind, some of the drum fills are simply insane and if the style of the music had been any different it would have been over complicated.

Gerrad Way has matured greatly as a singer. His voice is now more restrianed and sort of resemblent of a younger Chino Moreno mixed with and younger Ian Watkins and less of the desperate shouting noise that put me off the rest of thier back catalouge. Some of this albums lyrics are a little too "emo" for my liking, i.e, "Cancer", the hidden track and "Dead!". But then again there some little bits of genius. "This is how I disappear" is a lyrical master peice with some great lines and the really random "F###" which made me laugh. "Mama" is about the war and displays the feeling of a soldier who knows he is going to die and is talking to his mum. This is the most insane of all the songs lyrically. Sleep has some immortal lines like "they say suffer all the children and walk away a saviour" and "the hardest part, is letting go of your dreams". This song is quite mature for a band this young and still relativley new.

"The End" is a strange song but a nice way to open the album. It shows a desperation to escape and not die. "Dead" starts with the most unusually good guitar solo. It is unusual because the song sounds more like older My Chemical Romance than the rest of the album. This is how I disappear sounds a bit like Trivium moulded to Placebo. Yet it works giving something completly new and unexpected from the band. I have to say it is the first song I have ever liked a lot from this band. I can't say much about "The Sharpest Lives" but it isn't that bad. "Welcome to the Black Parade" is My Chemical Romances last attempt to keep with their older style, and despite the massive intro and cool guitar solo it is weak and too simple. "I don't love you" is possibly the worst track on the album, the lyrics are overly "EMO" and I can find nothing in the song musically that impresses me. One song I do like is the next track "House of Wolves". It's lyrical theme is impressive and the song has a good structure, buut the repeativeness of the end of the song slightly gets on my nerves. "Cancer" is the sort of song that annoys you at first then you fall in love with it. It is more like a peice of drama than a song and it is, on top of other things, a spectacle. Mama is a brilliant song. it's riffs are quite frankly awesome (especially the middle bit which uses a lot of Metal techniques) the lyrics are easy to understand yet not catchy. If Cancer is a play, this is a full blown Andrew Lloyd Webber musical of ther most extreme kind. "Sleep" is the entire peak of the album in all senses of the word, the meoldies are the best, the lyrics and vocals are brillaint and the entire spectacle of listening to this song is simply amazing. A total suprise compared to what the band is famous for writing. "Teenagers" is a blatant AC#DC rip off with some pretty cool riffs and soloing. But the cool bit about this song is the statement "Teenagers scare the living s### out of me". Disenchanted bred me a little, it was slightly limp wristed comapred to the 3 track that had gone before it. "Famous Last Words" is quite an epic song and has cool singing and some cool riffs. "Blood" is a hidden track, and I have only been able to hear it once, it is a very good song but overall it is quite short and I would have liked it to be longer. Overall this is an album of some awful tracks and a few gems. It is by far the best record ever written by a band that has been considered EMO, i can't wait for the musical that the band say that they are going to write based on this. please more of this and less of "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge."

topdawg84
    Kiotaka
    topdawg84 wrote: everyone listen up, there is nothin wrong about emos at all. so all u rednecks can shut the f*** up about them. whenever i actually read reviews and stuff for bands like mcr, thats all i ever see is "emos are gay" or "emos must die". but u can all go 2 hell. i'm not emo, but you all need to loosen up for the love of god! if u dont like the damn music, then keep it 2 urself and don't post shit about people who like this kind of music. will ppl ever learn?
    Thank god people aren't as dumb as I thought!
    live2rock
    i cant believe how many people cant just rate an album without slating other people or bands off.some of us actually look at this site to get some honest opinion on records and possibly buy them after seeing what the majority think.bought the album(my first mcr album)and would say its a real good album where it seems they have really thought out the songs judging on the lyrics and guitar work.cool sounding guitars and great vocal work.its a great rock album period.all those who just want to aim insults at others are obviously just not interested in the music and lack any brain matter to just give an honest opinion to those of us who actually care about what we listen to.remember people,there is actually a time in our lives where we do grow up and stop being children.