The Black Parade review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Oct 24, 2006
  • Users' score: 8.2 (1,210 votes)
My Chemical Romance: The Black Parade

My Chemical Romance has returned with "The Black Parade" and I have to tell you that it may be their best effort to date. It is a concept record about a cancer patient (creatively titled "The Patient") who is dying and when he starts to die, a militaristic marching band dressed in black comes to take him away. Gerard Way (singer) beleives that before death, everyone envisions the strongest memory they had, and for The Patient, it's his father taking him to see a marching band (As you can tell by the opening lyrics of Welcome To The Black Parade). TBP is very different from the other two releases (Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge and I borught You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love.) First of all all of the songs fell slower and less brutal than the songs on Three Cheers and Bullets. Second, everyone in the band has improved on their parts. The singing is a lot better, the drumming and bass, and last but not least, the guitars. The other two albums were about getting revenge. This album is more like getting over your problems, in a non-violent way.

This band has talent when it comes to lyrics. They aren't straightforward with you either. They like to use metaphors and lots of imagery, which is what every good songwriter should use. Now, I know there are lots of songwriters that are way better and more talented than MCR, but I love the way they write their music. Gerard has quit drinking, so he is much better with his singing on this record. I think there are three songs on this record where I love the lyrics. "Dead!", "The Sharpest Lives", and "House of Wolves". I like the lyrics on Dead! because it's fun to sing along. The Sharpest Lives is amazing because the entire song is fast and fun to sing. My favorite part to sing along with is the verse. And finally House of Wolves because it's so punishing (Well I think I'm gonna burn in Hell! Everybody burn the house down).

MCR definately sets apart from the other bands out there. It isnt really a thing you can describe, you just have to listen and see for yourself. I can't really name a song on the record that is "my favorite", but the one I like the least is "Sleep". I love how each song on the album is completely different from each other. I felt that in Three Cheers, most of the songs sounded the same (Although many of you will disagree). The thing that really gets to me though is the fact that it basically copied Pink Ployd's "The Wall". The intro song on the Wall is called "In the Flesh?" and the song resembles "The End" very much. I lost respect for the band after I listened to "The Wall". Well if this record was stolen for me, I believe I would have to hunt down the person that stole it and violently kill them. Did I mention very violently? I have been counting down to the day this record released (October 24th) since the day I heard the release date of TBP. Call me obsessed, but I love this band.

theguitarist
    Adamantium wrote: and i'll have you know, before i got my comment deleted for no reason, i expressed my opinion on them without insulting others but them.
    That's why you got your comment deleted. Insulting the band is spamming and flaming just as insulting others, unless you have something constructive to say, it just causes more people to get angry at your comment and to spam/flame in return. Look, since people seem unable to less positively comment about the band or album reviews in any sort of coherent way, can we please cut out all anti-MCR comments. It's creating a huge unnecessary mess for an area which is meant to be for commenting on the reviews submitted. Just once more for those sight-impaired users: NO MORE ANTI-MCR DISCUSSION PLEASE. WARNINGS WILL BE HANDED OUT TO THOSE WHO IGNORE THIS If you guys want to keep discussing this to such lengths, I suggest taking it to the forums.
    I Walk Alone
    I remember first hearing all the songs on Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge and hanging my head in shame for even considering listening to it. That album sucked balls in my opinion. Then this album came out, and wow. What a turn around. The Black Parade is one of my favorite albums right now. "House Of Wolves", "Dead!", "The Black Parade", "Cancer", and "Famous Last Words" are awesome. (Except for the "But where's your heart?" part of Famous Last Words. That part annoys me for some reason.)
    guitarprodigy46
    ok first of all MCR is one of my favorite bands including Trivium and Blink-182. This album is amazing. If you don't like MCR, LEAVE IT TO YOURSELF WE DONT NEED TO HEAR PEOPLE SAYING "MCR SUCKS BALLS" OR "MCR IS GAY AND EMO" SERIOUSLY THOUGH i bet most people saying they suck have never lsitened to this masterpeice. Thats all I have to say.