The Black Parade review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Oct 24, 2006
  • Users' score: 8.2 (1,208 votes)
My Chemical Romance: The Black Parade

MCR keeps getting better and better with each CD they make, and this is no exception. For those who don't know by now, the album is about a cancer patient who dies and looks back on his life. The songs all sound really good and well put together. For example, The End. starts off setting the tone for the CD with a heart monitor beeping normally, and the song basically takes you through the patient's final moments alive. After the song, the CD goes straight into Dead! with the heart monitor flatlining, and the CD picksup from there. Every song is really catchy, especially Dead!, House of Wolves, Mama, and Teenagers. MCR takes a step away from their earlier music with ballady songs like I Don't Love You. The CD transitions smoothly between songs, and for those who bought the CD in a store, not downloading it, the "blood" song, as some people call it, finishes off the CD in a sort of sarcastic tone, which is a good ending. The drum lines in the song by Bob Bryar, their former sound guy, are catchy and interesting, especially in House of Wolves. Michael Way does good on bass, but there really isn't much other than rhythm lines though. Ray and Frank totally rip on guitar, especially in solos from songs like Dead! and Welcome To The Black Parade, the bridge riff in Mama, and basically all of Teenagers. Gerard surpasses his old self by far on this CD, which I will explain in the next section.

Gerard's singing on this CD improved tremendously since MCR's second CD, not that he was bad to begin with, but it is no longer just screaming. He does really good on I Don't Love You- the lyrics are downright perfect, and the singing melodies compliment the guitars perfectly. He throws in screaming where needed, and does a good job of it (such as in the Mama bridge). This is probably my favorite CD to sing along to in the car or wherever, so the lyrics are 10 out of 10 hands down.

This CD is a huge leap for MCR, because they are no longer just blood and screaming. I used to think MCR was really only OK, and probably wouldn't have gotten this CD anyway. Fortunately, I did, and now they are one of my favorite bands. The CD flows perfectly, and is lots of fun to listen to. I'm probably not the only person to start liking this band because of this CD, and no doubt I would have to keep getting if I kept losing it, which probably won't happen anyway since it's usually in the car CD player to begin with.

mychem00
    i think the thing i love most about my chem is the fact that each album is so different from the one before. they also have all improved a great deal. especially frank and ray. the solos are so much better than they used to be..... but i do miss franks screaming at random points during the songs in live performances..... (sad face) lol