The Black Parade review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Oct 24, 2006
  • Users' score: 8.2 (1,208 votes)
My Chemical Romance: The Black Parade

Where to start with an album as unbelievable as this? Personally this album was a surprise to me as before albums lik Bullets and Three Cheers weren't as emotional or deep as this album goes. The band has grown up and matured so much since the Three Cheers albums. Gerard's voice had become more controlled and puts this to excellent use on this album. Also the guitars have improved so much with at least one riff in every song making you wish you had made it first. The guitar's also have a cleaner and sharper sound and edge to them that was missing from previous albums. Also the lyrics on this album are amazing. From writing hard rock anthems like Welcome To The Black Parade and Famous Last Words they went on to write wonderfully amotionally charged songs with a deeper meaning to them like Cancer and Disenchanted that was mising from previous albums. Many albums have had 10 out of 10 used without them being truly up to the standard but this album is truly that good. Also the album theme of a cancer patient being close to death going over hs life and thinking of some of the decisions he has made is an excellent idea that works so wel on this album with this band beacause not many(if any)other bands could have worked this album so well. However the only slight downfall is the inclusion of the track Blood. Although the song is a funny, quirky little number the album really should have ended with Famous Last Words so we should be thankfull it is a hidden track. Overall in my opinion it would be a huge improvement on their previous albums and their greatest work to date.

The lyrics on this album are certainly deeper and with more emotion and feeling. It also seems that just by listening a lot more work has been put into the lyrics and sound of this album.T he lyrics on the track Cancer are so moving and really show the band's maturity as this track should go down as one of the greatest songs of all time. Even the lyrics on tracks lik Welcome To The Black Parade just work so well with the music and it just clicks into place for a truly awesome album. Even lyrics on some not so well known tracks are an example of the band's newfound look. The line in Disenchanted "we watched our lives on the screen, I hate the ending myself but it started with an alright scene" prove the band's quality. Truly inspiring.

The End:A wonderful way to kick off the album with a song that just rocks and the heart rate monitor at the beginning adds to the class. This album is without doubt the album of the year and it should stand proudly on your shelf alongside the classic rock albums such as AC/DC Back In Black, Guns N' Roses Appetite For Destruction and Metallica The Black Album. And it deserves it.