The Black Parade review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Oct 24, 2006
  • Users' score: 8.2 (1,210 votes)
My Chemical Romance: The Black Parade

This newest My Chemical Romance album is much more epic, and also much better, than their previous offering, Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge, though that is also a very good album. Piano is introduced more often to the band's songs, giving them an extra level of musical genius. The guitarists are obviously very skilled, shown in some of the solos on this album, and the rest of the band are also enormously talented. The music on this album is very upbeat in places, offsetting the slightly depressing lyrics perfectly. The 4 singles from this album, Welcome To The Black Parade, Famous Last Words, I Don't Love You and Teenagers, represent the album perfectly. One thing I don't get however, is the way the album is supposed to follow the story of a cancer patient. After the first 2 songs, I can't really understand where the story is meant to be going. However, all in all, an extremely good album of music, one of my favourites.

The lyrics on this album continue to be slightly depressing in their subject matter, though they now seem to concentrate on the grief and sadness side of the subject, rather than the angry or vengeful side. However, on songs like Dead! and Mama, the upbeat tone of the music makes the lyrics sound joking, playful and very slightly psychopathic. There are still genuinely sad songs on the album, the main one being Cancer, the one song other than the first 2 that seems to relate to the cancer patient the album is about, where the lyrics fit perfectly with the music. The lyrics themselves are very good and meaningful. I can see why some could find Gerard Way's voice annoying, but I love his singing, now he has lost the screaming tone he used on previous albums. The guest appearance of Liza Minelli on the track Mama also spices up the singing style.

This album first got me into My Chemical Romance, after hearing Welcome To The Black Parade on the TV. The overall quality of the songs is stunning, showing a variety of different styles, all of which are amazing. Once I heard this album all the way through, I had trouble seeing any flaws in it. There simply aren't any bad harmonies, riffs or anything. The songs on the album are all incredible, but ones that stand out for me are Dead!, Welcome To The Black Parade, Cancer and Teenagers. In my opinion, it's one of the greatest albums ever, improving dramatically on Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge. If I lost this album, and I lost my computer with it on, I would most definitely buy it again.

a dozen furies
    mrlee192 wrote: chrisbeevor wrote: refused06 wrote: ...so quit your "emo sux,suck me" whinings and just say I DONT LIKE THIS ALBUM.. Just what I was thinking. I don't like what I've heard of this album. I'm not gonna argue whether you do or not. I find it quite unoriginal and sounds typical of mainstream over production. I'm not saying I dislike it because of it being mainstream, it just sounds too... overdone? Too like a pop record? Taking the Green Day route? I also fail to see how they made the front of Guitar World and how one of the guitarists believes themself to be similar to the great Randy Rhoads. Is what you are saying true...he said he was similar to randy rhoads....im sorry but thats just ****ing bullshit, whatever member of mcr said that needs t o be hit over the head severly until they apologise for that terrible comparison.
    I completly agree i mean i have never heard a whole album from these guys but i have definintly heard enough to show what their guitarists can do and it is blant and very mediocre. just because you can palmmute through an entire song and think that tremelo picking is doing a solo than your nowhere near the class that randy rhoads was in i am surprised that there are only a few who thought of this and felt like they had to say something jesus christ this is ultimate guitar! if your on this site you should have a guitar resting under your pit and a neck blockin out the keyboard you should definintly know that saying you are similar to randy rhodes is a ridiculous thing to say and you should be burned with the other witches LONG LIVE RANDY RHODES
    scb
    ....i suppose....everyones entitled to their own opinion...fair enough
    the_messenger66
    Amuro Jay
    the_messenger66 wrote: i mean, i miss the old My Chem. Where's the angst?? "And now the red ones make my fly, and the blue ones help me fall/and i think i broke my brains against the ceiling/And as the fragments of my skull begin to fall/fall on your tongue like pixie/Just think happy thoughts!!!" -Headfirst for Halos. Much better...
    +10 thousand. your win is epic
    benjistar666
    it depends what mood im in whether i like this album sometimes the catchiness of any song can get annoying (hey guys even metallica and maiden) but yeah its an ok album theres something abomut it i cant put my finger on but yeah its cool
    Maurice(GUN)
    Well First Off Let Me Say To All The Fags On Here Who's Dissing MCR Go Hang Yourself you Brownie Pounders!!! MCR Rocks !! 3Cheers Was A Great Album, But The Black Parade Out Does It. It's Epic And Flat Out Rocks I Listen To This CD In My Car Everyday!
    kamjam7
    I bought this cd immediately after listening to the three songs on their website, and i love it, but i don't like their other cd's very much. the lyrics are a little too dark.