The Black Parade review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Oct 24, 2006
  • Users' score: 8.2 (1,208 votes)
My Chemical Romance: The Black Parade

Its clear from the beggining that this album is startlingly different from both previous albums. While they have grown into a different style in every album this amazing jump from emo/pop-punk Three Cheers to rock opera style The Black Parade is simply to be marveled at. They are finally focusing they're efforts on creating soul filled lyrics and sometimes and gentle and sad tune (e.g. Cancer and Sleep, my two favourite tracks)Gerard Way's vocals are much better and the complicated guitar solo's by the talented Ray Toro are very good.The most obvious thing, for good or bad, is Bob Bryar playing drums. No more frantic bashing of the snare drum but an actual beat. There's only one thing I'm in two minds about and that's the basslines. Sometimes I feel the simplicity makes the song much better, sometimes I think Mikey should get up and make some decent basslines. It's clear the boy's got talent but no imagination.

MCR really outdid theirselves this time in the lyrics, cryptic, like all the others but now more understandable, something that some of us can actually relate to. The album is about a cancer patient and looks upon his life in no particular order. Apparently one in three of us will be affected by cancer, whether that means getting it or a loved one dying or getting cancer. Deep.

It's a great album, really, but I'm sure most MCR haters out there won't change their tune because of one measely album. But, when you look at it and really think hard, you've got to admit, no matter who you are, that MCR can write really good songs. Go out and bye it, it really is worth it.