The Black Parade Is Dead [DVD] Review

artist: My Chemical Romance date: 08/08/2011 category: compact discs
My Chemical Romance: The Black Parade Is Dead [DVD]
Release Date: July 1, 2008
Recorded and filmed on the final date of their tour at the Palacio de los Deportes in Mexico City on 7 Oct 2007, this CD/DVD combo is a fitting tribute to, and document of, this extraordinary chapter in the band's career, which has seen them absorb and emulate the gaudy showmanship of 70s pomp rock bands such as Queen.
 Content: 7.3
 Production Quality: 8
 8.8
 8.3
 9.2
The Black Parade Is Dead [DVD] Reviewed by: takenthecannoli, on august 08, 2011

Sound: My Chemical Romance have never exactly been renowned for their live performances. Sure, the hardcore fans may have gotten their best in-jokes from singer Gerard Way moaning during inappropriate moments (the bridge of "The Ghost Of You", for example) or literally dancing his (women's) jeans off. But it isn't entirely unfair to say that the best part of the "Revenge"-era (2004-2005) shows was the dynamic between guitarists Ray Toro and Frank Iero. Gerard was shrill, bassist Mikey Way could be dull, and the stint during which the band coupled with The Used is laughable at best. After the release of "The Black Parade" in 2006, however, the shows completely turned around. Not only was it a completely new aesthetic, but the theme - complete with matching "Sergeant Pepper"-style outfits and a full run-through of the new album - was a breath of fresh air, and allowed a complete re-imagination of each and every band member. Gerard was now theatrical without being shrill, especially in the later shows. Ray had a great backdrop to his already theatrically-influenced style, and Frank's darker energy was especially punctuated. Bob Bryar's over-the-top power perfectly complimented the album's style. Even Mikey's "pose"-driven technique felt striking. "The Black Parade Is Dead!" chronicles the last complete performance of the album. Filmed in Mexico City, this was the second live release by the band, following up on "Life On The Murder Scene", which included a documentary and a few live performances from the "Revenge" era. "The Black Parade" sounds spectacular in a live setting. The relationship between the two guitarists, which was apparent in the band's 2004 release, "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge", is highlighted quite nicely. Bob sounds wonderful on the drums. Above all, Gerard's vocals are exponentially more approachable than in previous tours. In fact, if there's one thing I have any gripes about, it would be Mikey Way's technique, which still leaves much to desired. In terms of style, it can be guessed that "The Black Parade Is Dead!" reflects its namesake album, vastly different from either of the previous My Chem releases. Where one may think this would disrupt establishments such as the Ray/Iero dynamic, it actually works as well as ever. "Teenagers" is far better, in that respect, than the studio version. The addition of keys during this tour is also a great new element. // 8

Overall Impression: For a period, I listened to "The Black Parade Is Dead!" far more often than the actual record. Of course, there's nothing like the real thing, as with any release, but the Mexico performance holds up extremely well, particularly on the CD. The DVD performance feels a bit long, though many critics argue that the album itself shares this trait. Looking at the Hoboken performance, which is actually two songs longer, this is especially obvious. However, the change in pace from the previously released performances is interesting enough the first few times that it's definitely worth the buy. Heck, the CD alone is worth the buy. I take issue with primarily the Hoboken setlist's hiccup or two, lack of aesthetic variation in the Mexico performance, and the lack of a CD to accompany the Hoboken performance. This is almost balanced by the excellent guitar work and some fun moments for the frontman. Not to mention a very, very excited crowd, which can make or break a filmed performance (see Switchfoot's "The Best Yet In Nashville" for more). // 7

The Black Parade Is Dead [DVD] Reviewed by: --ATREYUROCK--, on july 01, 2008

Sound: This DVD has two parts: one is the band playing through their 'Black Parade' album in a huge arena, and the other is a selection of new and old songs in a much smaller venue. Obviously, the sound is totaly different. In the arena, they have a huge sound. The big sound of the songs themselves help, but the ability of each band member makes them amazing. In the smaller venue, it's a different story. They are much harder and more aggressive on a stage hardly big enough for the five of them. They come across a lot more punk in the smaller place, whereas in the arena they are a true stadium rock act. // 10

Overall Impression: My Chemical Romance live are completly different to My Chemical Romance on record. There is a lot more aggression, Gerard even going as far a releasing a full-blooded scream on a few occasions. To be honest, I can't think of a band like MCR at the minute. They may have gotten stick from die-hard punk fans for 'changing' but they truly are awesome. Ray Toro's guitar playing really comes to the front on this DVD. I love the whole thing, the only disappointment being the set list. But I can just get Life On The Murder Scene for the older songs, can't I? If someone stole this I would hunt them down, murder them and get my DVD back. // 10

The Black Parade Is Dead [DVD] Reviewed by: allfooie, on july 01, 2008

Sound: The sound is almost perfect except the back-up vocals could have been a little louder. Turn it up loud and you feel like you almost there. If you like The Black Parade you will love this. Way gets the crowd to sing a lot which they get into. You can hear this well obviously as there are 20,000 people there. // 9

Overall Impression: A lot like Bullet In A Bible but with a far smaller crowd. The most impressive stuff would probabley be the sound turn it up loud! Most of it I love but there probabley could have been some better angles in the pub concert to film from. If you love MCR and you either saw the concert or sadly missed it, this is for you! If it were stolen/lost I would definitely buy it again as it's something you can watch over and over again. // 9

Comments