Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge review by My Chemical Romance

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
  • Users' score: 2.5 (1,843 votes)
My Chemical Romance: Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

My Chemical Romance was formed in New Jersey and started with "I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love" record in 2002. Lifting their name from the cult description of Irvine Welsh's novels, My Chemical Romance is emerging as one of the most promising young bands in recent musical memory. Their sound, distinct and fresh, pledges allegiance to everyone from Iron Maiden and The Misfits to Morrissey and At The Gates. My Chemical Romance's second release "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" combines various styles of music - punk, alternative, emo, even hardcore. It was made in the best traditions of alternative pop/rock and post-hardcore music. It has neither long guitar solos, nor prolonged singin, which are a common stuff for classic rock acts -- on most of the album's tunes "Three Cheers" is based on a blunt screaming and powerchords. Besides, you can hear musical echoes of some current mainstream rock bands, however you can't say their roots are mixed up on those bands, but some influencies are evident. Once again, on this record you can hear many punk music attributes -- such as the dominance of a powerchords-based solitary and repeating riffs over multi-guitar harmonic melodies -- as well as the depressive alternative-like tones. Having said this, My Chemical Romance still follow their own way -- on another side, album's sounding is overall different to what you may have heard before. It's a quite common album in terms of its sound, but the spirit of the album is unexpectedly unusual. Perfectly balanced and recorded it's not overfilled with a harsh melodies alternations and perceives as a whole.

"Three Cheers" lyrics have their special place in the whole concept -- a love story of a dead man and a dead woman. These guys have a freaky fantasy for sure. Death, parting, poison and guns are the main theme of this album. Gerard Way [band's vocalist] has melodious clean voice and this saves the band to be classified as a horror punk instead of what they really do -- a malicious emo punk. Gerard's voice varies from a sweet whisper to a heart-rending scream.

In comparing it with their previous release, "I Brought You Bullets, You Brought Me Love," both releases are great for different reasons -- "Three Cheers" might appeal to a broader fan base because of it's slightly more punk-pop sounding, while their first release had that raw, emotional sound. With "Three Cheers," Gerard Way soars with the same emotion and rawness that made the first release great, but the overall sound behind him is a slightly weaker. If brutal things like dead people and guns, loneliness and a lack of hope are what you like, buy this album. If not -- beware, you may fall into depression.